VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thestarsprism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok this is frustrating! here can someone give me a descent configure code for my emulator? here are some stats about my computer:
Mac OS X
450 MHz PowerPC G4
11.49 GB Available

I would give my already made code, but it pretty much sucks and I want one fresh made piece of art. 😁 😁 😁

//:hAtErS_aNd.LoVeRs://

Reply 2 of 13, by thestarsprism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No its on but the audio skips and skips and skips. the game is at http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/147 would you test it out on your computer then tell me if it works with you?

Reply 3 of 13, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Audio skipping typically means you don't have enough power to handle running the sound. This is quite likely the case too with just 450MHz. You can lower the sound quality in the config file, up the prebuffer, try lowering the CPU cycles you're using, and upping the frame skip. Also, using Roland or General MIDI for the music is typically much more stable on OS X than adlib for me. All of these should be able to help somewhat, but you shouldn't get your hopes up too high either. On my Mac mini (1.42 GHz G4) I've got it running with smooth sound but I can't afford to up the cycles far enough to keep it running full speed compared to the SNES original mentioned bellow.

As an alternative I hope you realize this same game exists on the SNES and Snes9x tends to require less horsepower and tweaking on OS X.

Reply 5 of 13, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You change the settings in your config file. You'll want to have no scaler if you can bear it, if any use normal2x. Thse the simple CPU core and up the cycles as needed. If you wanna try lowering the sound quality replace all instances of "22050" in the file with "11025". Switching to MT-32 is something you have to do in the game's sound setup, which your demo does indeed have.

Reply 7 of 13, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't bother with blocksize myself, as for the rest, as I said you need to experiment yourself and see what your system can handle. It's completely dependent on you. To be perfectly blunt though I didn't find performance all that thrilling on my system that's about three times more powerful than yours. So I'd seriously recommend that for this game you give the SNES version a whirl. It'll be much more worth your time.

Reply 8 of 13, by thestarsprism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here why don't I just use the snes emulator 😜 But I will only use one if you give me a link to the emulator AND a link to a MegaMan game. (Zelda is also acceptable)

Reply 10 of 13, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thestarsprism wrote:

Here why don't I just use the snes emulator 😜 But I will only use one if you give me a link to the emulator AND a link to a MegaMan game. (Zelda is also acceptable)

I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest. I highly doubt your system can run the game you want to in dosbox. If you need info on Mac emulators check out http://www.macemu.com. ROMs are a no go.