VOGONS

Windows XP multiplayer (war2)

Topic actions

First post, by TimeGoneBomb

User metadata

I want to be able to play warcraft 2 over my home network. Both computers have XP pro. I installed war2, and it works fine, even has sound. But running in pure XP, it says unable to detect ipx network, even if I have the ipx protocol added in network properties. Is there a way to make warcraft 2 'see' the winxp ipx network?

Probably not. So thats why I downloaded dosbox. Really nice program. Single player is flawless. However I cannot get multiplayer to work, not over modem, nor over ipx (well it almost works, but there are weird connection problems), and i don't understand how to set it up for direct serial mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 2 of 21, by TimeGoneBomb

User metadata

I've tried using v0.63, and also the latest build from ykhwong's website. I have the same problems with both.

Reply 3 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You did use 'ipxnet startserver' and 'ipxnet connect' ? What are 'weird connection problems' ? IP protocol is also installed on your computer and works?

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

Well first of all, tcp/ip is working fine for everthing else (e.g. internet, aim, games over directplay, etc), so I think there is a compatability issue with dosbox.

Heres what I've tried.

For ipx mode, ive changed the value to true in the config file, and one computer does ipxnet startserver, and the other does ipxnet connect and connects to the server. Then i do a ipxnet status, and it says both computers are connected.

Yay. I've got no complaints so far. But then we make a warcraft2 game and after connecting, the connection is super bad and both computers go out of sync. I suspect packet loss and will look into it now.

I didn't have luck with modem mode either. If i to set com1 = modem in the config file, doxbox freezes on startup. It does this on all 3 of my computers. With non-cvs 0.63, I can set it for modem and it wont freeze, but the emulated modem doesn't seem to respond to commands.

Reply 5 of 21, by TimeGoneBomb

User metadata

Oops I forgot to put my name on the last post. But anyway, one more tidbit about ipx. This seems really weird to me. It says that the server's ip is 127.0.0.1, when there is no such number on my network. The real ip of the server is 192.168.123.136. Even though it displays the wrong address, the other sessions of dos box on other pc's can connect to it, by typing ipxnet connect 192.168.123.136.

Reply 6 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

127.0.0.1 is localhost. It's a loopback connection built into TCP/IP for diagnostic testing and to connect to the host computer.

I'll play around with War2 tonight and see what kind of behavior I get.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

CVS: serial1=modem, not com1=modem. The latter freezes Dosbox. (Dosbox thinks this is a file and tries to read from it)
War2 IPX works with 0.63 (for me).
The 0.63 modem is indeed not very responsive.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

Sorry for posting to your thread but i found it looking for answers about IPX over the google.

Can I also try the dosbox stuff to get games like C&C, Duke nukem 3d etc working if both computers got win xp pro?

As i can undestand, i need a game and dosbox installed on both computers. I start dosbox on one and write "ipxnet startserver" and with other pc "ipxnet connect xxxxx" right (where xxxx is ip, btw i also have 127.0.0.1 ip) ? What comes after that?

I just tried to play through IPX without knowing anything about dosbox before. Installed duke nukem 3d on both computers and made a IPX server. One computer got message "Waiting for players.." and other computer got message "unable to get adapter status - netBIOS not useable". Anything to know about that message? Seems so wierd.. 😖

Anyway im sorry for disturbing your thread, but i really have the same problem - i wanna play old IPX games on windows XP.

Reply 9 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your using DosBox 0.63 then you probably won't get IPX gaming working with the games that you mentioned.

Try a CVS build in my signature.

Dangit, I've been meaning to try out IPX for the last couple of days but I haven't gotten around to it.

Also.....

C&C runs in 640x480 if you run it in Windows. In DOS it runs @ 320x resolution. I usually use C&C Windows ver in Qemu if I want to play network games.

As for Duke Nukem 3D your really better off with a port: http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

On my XP 2800 Duke Nukem 3D is playable in DosBox for single player (in lower teens FPS), but for multiplayer it would probably suck.

Reply 10 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

hmm what is Qemu?

And for duke nukem, i can't really download jfduke3d from nowhere..

I have C&C windows version, but i dont know if it can be played in multiplayer, because it requires a CD to play.

Im a really noob in dosbox, and i don't understand what CVS build means 😖

Reply 11 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

Ok i now got what is CVS build, but which one should i use to get old games running in multiplayer?

Reply 12 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke3D
You must learn the ways of FileMirror
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?type=co … e3d&action=Find

QEMU is an emulator like DosBox is but Qemu is designed to support many different Operating Systems. With Qemu I can install Windows 98 and then install my Windows copy of C&C, I can then play C&C in Qemu without having to mess around with trying to get C&C working in Windows XP (which is a mess).

Supposedly there is a compilation of all the C&C games coming out soon but I don't know if they'll fix the C&C issues or just package the original games in one big box.

CVS is the source code to DosBox that is constantly being updated. When you downloaded DosBox 0.63 that was simply a build of DosBox that was compiled around November of 2004. If you download a CVS build from my signature you will be able to aquire a build of DosBox that was built this month.

It's like buying Office XP and then 2 years later buying Office 2003. (Except newer versions of DosBox will be cleaner, faster, and less buggy than newer Officer versions. 😉 )

Reply 13 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

Searching in filemirrors only gives me 3 results and they are all 0.5-1 mb, it can't be so small, can it?

Maybe you would reccommend which CVS build i should choose for IPX stuff?

Reply 14 of 21, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea, but that size may be okay - these enhanced versions don't include data files, just a new executable. You need to copy them over from your existing (legal) copy.

Reply 16 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

C&C 1.07 works fine (for me) in CVS, for Duke3d Netbios seems to be required. Ykhwong's build should have the IPX extension needed to load netbios.exe (search the forum).

1+1=10

Reply 17 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

About the 127.0.0.1:
As soon as you type 'ipxnet startserver', the dosbox becomes both server and client. The client is automatically connected to to the server by using the 127.0.0.1 address.

Nothing to worry about.

1+1=10

Reply 18 of 21, by Guest

User metadata

I got things work with Kali now, but do anyone know how to use VESA graphics in duke? That 320x200 graphics really sux 😜