VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Suggest ideas for things that should be completed or added to DosBox before the next official release!

1. Add links to the exact location of the DosBox file for each DosBox package on the main page when the next official release is out.
(This is to get rid of the "Help! I am confused by Sourceforge and I cannot download DosBox!" messages".

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Testimonials or feedback section for those users who want to comment on the DosBox they just downloaded but don't register at the site.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2006-02-14, 06:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 19, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Erm, is this an official thread? In that case, I would like a setting in the .conf file to hide the bloody annoying console window which keeps popping up whenever you launch dosbox.

Reply 5 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bump.

Need to work on FAQ thread some more. Would be nice to get alot more FAQ questions in the DosBox readme i....or mabye split them off from the README and include a TXT FAQ file in the dosbox package.

Reply 6 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, a few thoughts:

* Have an Icon contest (much like the existing thread) to determine an official icon to bundle with dosbox.
* Include the speedup pictoral guide as a "READTHIS" file in the zip package. That way there is no excuses for people to come here and ask the same questions over and over.
* This is a controversial one: have a complete package deal that comes bundled with D-fend. Yes, I know thats technically bloat and many people won't want it....but for newbies and some users they aren't aware of what dfend does and don't know where to look.

Reply 7 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

* Have an Icon contest (much like the existing thread) to determine an official icon to bundle with dosbox.

Icon has been decided. It's in the latest CVS

* Include the speedup pictoral guide as a "READTHIS" file in the zip package. That way there is no excuses for people to come here and ask the same questions over and over.

Good idea, just don't expect it to work. I found that no matter how good an elaborate the documentation and FAQ are, you will ALWAYS get as much people asking the same questions on a new release. That's no excuse for not adding elaborate documentation, just a reminder for everyone to not geth their expectations too high 😀

As for bundling with a frontend, I don't like it and especially when there are other frontends to choose from. "Why use that and not this?" will follow.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 19, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why not get someone who has a knowledge of GUI programming to write an official DOSBox frontend that can be optionally installed when installing DOSBox itself? Don't look at me to write it, as I don't know how to write any GUI programs under any environment.

Even though I don't need to use a frontend, as I already have plenty of experience with DOS, it would be a good idea to include an optional one for the users who didn't grow up with this wonderful old operating system.

Reply 9 of 19, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roxor wrote:

Why not get someone who has a knowledge of GUI programming to write an official DOSBox frontend that can be optionally installed when installing DOSBox itself? Don't look at me to write it, as I don't know how to write any GUI programs under any environment.

Even though I don't need to use a frontend, as I already have plenty of experience with DOS, it would be a good idea to include an optional one for the users who didn't grow up with this wonderful old operating system.

Or.., make it clear in the installer/elsewhere that you should get a frontend (and explain briefly what a frontend is) if you don't know how to use DOS.

Reply 10 of 19, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, as I have suggested countless times, one of you, yes, all you right above me, download Nullsoft Installer, read how to make an installer, and create a <D-Fend/any other frontend>+DosBox+<anything else you see as useful> integrated package. No programmers needed for that.

Reply 11 of 19, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get the sound effects working properly in Colonization so they don't produce white noise! Please for the love of god do this. It must be a DOSBox problem combined with a weird sound implementation for the game, but the sound effects really add to the game!!!

== Jez ==

Reply 12 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

please no game specific requests (IMHO). Everyone got his favourite game and wants it working...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 19, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Or, as I have suggested countless times, one of you, yes, all you right above me, download Nullsoft Installer, read how to make an installer, and create a <D-Fend/any other frontend>+DosBox+<anything else you see as useful> integrated package. No programmers needed for that.

I would, but nobody's actually going to download it so why bother 😜

Reply 15 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I'm not sure games that haven't been working for awhile will be focused on much for the next release. We've mostly been worrying about games that have been broken since 0.63....and adding new features and testing those features. There have been alot of games fixed since 0.63 but considering that we are testing DosBox now for the next official ver, I doubt any real focus is going to be given towards fixing games that may possibly break compatibility elsewhere.

Reply 16 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure games that haven't been working for awhile will be focused on much for the next release. We've mostly been worrying about games that have been broken since 0.63....and adding new features and testing those features. There have been alot of games fixed since 0.63 but considering that we are testing DosBox now for the next official ver, I doubt any real focus is going to be given towards fixing games that may possibly break compatibility elsewhere.

Practically every game I own and have installed works like a charm. That makes me happy. 😎

Reply 17 of 19, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:
`Moe` wrote:

I would, but nobody's actually going to download it so why bother 😜

If you create a decent installer configuration file and upload it here, and maybe send it to the D-Fend author, and if you also create the actual installer once DOSBox 0.65 and an updated D-Fend are released, then I imagine that there's a place on the dosbox download page for your final product. Take a look at the "Wishlist" thread, there is a part which contains tons of suggestions for a user-friendly installer.

I wonder what QBix thinks about this.

Reply 19 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would like to see:
- input emulation/processing that doesn't get starved when cycles are set high to take advantage of new scaler optimizations and partial screen updates
- PC speaker and OPL emulation revisited in the context of games that use them for digitized sound effects (examples of games that have issues: Wiz7, Silpheed)