VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by luigi

User metadata

hi,
i have read alot faq etc. and tweaking tips, but i think my 2,4 GHz should be good enough.
fact is that all my old games run better without my DOSbox than with.
the screen is not in correct position at full screen, some get no sound, some too slow( f.e. giana) or too fast ( f.e. north and south).

i dont wanna get a doctor title in dosbox usage, so can u gimme some easy tricks to run it correctly or should i delete it, cause half of the games work without dosbox( not many errors, f.e. nosound), and almost no game runs in my DOSbox.
what do you think?
thx
(P.S. i know they are all dos games)

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure you have understood the FAQ/Guideline?

It can't be that difficult. Different games require different settings for DOSBox, specially when speed is concerned.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One fair warning for you. If you keep on going like this I will be forced to close this thread. As far as I know nobody insulted you.

If you don't understand (or don't want to understand) the documentation provided (Again, check the FAQs/Guides section on these forums) it's not our fault.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 10, by luigi

User metadata

i dont see anything fair in your answer to someone asking for help.
sry, but i was little angry about that useless poster, maybe i missed the board rules.
unfortunately the faq is like the last 2 answers to my post to me n terms of help .
im sure you could have answered to my question within the same amount of words, PuSHeR, i would thank you very much.
1.what is that speed cmd (i need to slower some games too, about 10*)
2.how do i get fullscreen in correct position
3.sound activation?
or just your hottest link if you are lazy
thx(hope dies at last)
"it can't be that difficult" 😘

Reply 8 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CTRL-F11 Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).
CTRL-F12 Speed up emulation (Increase DOSBox Cycles).

There is a cycles=xxx entry in your dosbox.conf file (DOSBox config) which can be altered to suit your needs as starting value.

2. set Fullfixed=true and fullresolution=1280x1024 to enforce a given resolution full screen. You can also use 0x0 to use desktop resolution. Again you need to edit dosbox.conf (with notepad for instance).

3. DOSBox emulates a SB16 by default -> A220 I7 D1 H5
Just configure your game to use those values or select internal speaker or no sound.

See. It wasn't that difficult. Wasn't it? And yes, everything is in the readme file of DOSBox which, I think, you haven't read. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 10, by luigi

User metadata

nice, thank you, works fine. 😁
i didnt get your 3rd point yet, but i will get into it by myself(sb16=soundblaster 16 bit, i think).
i love cfg files, so my previous last 2 questions:
1.how do i get the last percentage of speed, that i cant get with cycles?
2.is there a list with all DOSbox cmds/cvars with description (and at best recommendation settings)? 😎

Reply 10 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Use CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up Task Manager and keep upping your cycles until CPU usage is 80%-90%

2. Read the forum appropiate sections. DOSBox FAQs. Use the SEARCH feature. It's all there.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)