VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am running Debian Linux (testing version) and I have installed Dosbox v0.63. I have installed the shareware version of Telix and I set up a Telix dialing directory for a BBS I like to telnet into.

Here is what the console messages produced by Dosbox look like when I run Telix and attempt to "dial in" to the bbs:

Modem Sent Command: ATZ […]
Show full quote

Modem Sent Command: ATZ

Sending OK
Modem Sent Command: ATDT65.185.171.55

host 65.185.171.55 port 17

It never connects. After this Dosbox stops receiving any AT commands.
And by that I mean any and all AT commands sent from Telix produce no messages in the console.

I restarted Dosbox, and added ATNET1 to Telix's init string so that the init string is "ATZ^M~~ATNET1^M". Now my console messages look like
this:

Modem Sent Command: ATZ […]
Show full quote

Modem Sent Command: ATZ

Sending OK
Modem Sent Command: ATNET1

Unhandled cmd N0
Unhandled cmd 10
Sending OK
Modem Sent Command: ATDT65.185.171.55

host 65.185.171.55 port 17

and then the console stops producing message same as above.

I searched the forums for "telix" and that's where I found out about using ATNET1. The messages were from Feb of 2004 so I assumed it would be in v0.63.

From a linux console and I can telnet into this bbs just fine.
Has anyone else gotten Telix to work with Dosbox?

Thanks!

Jim

Regurgitating my old DOS BBS from 1996.

Reply 3 of 6, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the tip. I followed the links to the project's sourceforge web page and followed the instructions there for logging into anonymous cvs. http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=52551

I have used anonymous cvs before to grab sourceforge projects files, but this is my first time attempting to get the dosbox source.

$  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dosbox login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/dosbox
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

When I go to the file download page at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52551
it looks as though v0.63 is the latest.

I looked at the list of patches and found this patch:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234

I'll give this a try, maybe I can get Telix to work by passing "-telnet" to dosbox from the command line. But I still need the source. I can get the 0.63 source from Debian using apt-get, but is there another way to grab the latest source from the sourceforge cvs repository?

Thanks!

Jim

Reply 5 of 6, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I tried cvs a few more times and was finally able to log in. I fetched down the source and compiled. It took a me all of half an hour to figure out the new settings, only because I didn't think to change the listening port. 😦 I kept getting a seg fault error saying "MODEM:Can't open listen port: Couldn't bind to local port". (yeah, that should have been my first clue 😊 ) Anyways, I did some searches on this forum to make sure I was setting the serial1 correctly, and then I decided to try a different port. I set the port to 5100 and dosbox runs perfectly, and telix sees a modem, and I am now logged in to a bbs!

Thank you everyone who responded.

Here is the serial section of my .dosboxrc config file in case anyone else needs it:

[bios]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form
# parameter:value. Parameters for all types are irq, startbp
# stopbits, parity (all optional).
# for directserial: realport (required).
# for modem: listenport (optional).

serial1=modem listenport:5100
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

Thanks again!

Jim