VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I, for the life of me, can not find anywhere documented where to switch between emulating an MT-32 and GM. I think DOSBOX uses an intelligent mode because many times it'd automatically pick the correct configuration yet sometimes, it's hit or miss. Usually it'd pick correctly but at times it'll stay stuck in GM mode when the game I'm playing only runs at mt-32. Is there any way to switch between mt-32 and GM manually? I couldn't find it anywhere in the FAQs or manuals.

BTW, I love this program. I've been digging through a cd pile for games like Quest for Glory ever since I downloaded DOSBOX.

Reply 2 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You do have an MT-32, don't you? Otherwise you will need to use the MUNT driver. You select the audio mode in the game's setup. For the Sierra games, run INSTALL.EXE in the installed folder to select the audio hardware. DOSBox works great with a real MT-32, by the way. If you don't have an MT-32 or at least the emulator, selecting MT-32 for your audio will not sound right, to greater or lesser degrees, depending on how much the game is optimized for the MT-32.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 4, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leave dosbox default setup (GM) and configure MPU-401 as default midi device in windows control panel (or other platform equivalent).
If you use munt driver, same applies, but instead of MPU-401 select appropriate virtual midi device.
If using dosbox build with compiled-in munt, set in dosbox.conf device=mt32 (or type device=mt32).
Dont forget to obtain ROM files for emulators 😉

This has nothing to do with intelligent mode (describes how precise dosbox emulates mpu-401).