VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I can't seem to launch DosBox at all; I get the "The application DOSBox has unexpectedly quit" dialogue. I've got the SDL.framework folder in HD:library:frameworks, as well.

I'm running a G3 700mhz iMac with 512mb of ram, & 32mb of video ram.
I'm assuming that DosBox will run on my system, after reading this:

www.holwegner.com/view/426

Softpedia.com says DosBox requires 10.3 or later, though...

Any ideas? Greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by nsmcovox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DISCLAIMER: I have only compiled DOSBox for Linux, and therefore I'm making a lot of assumptions and there's a tiny chance things could go disasterously wrong. With a bit of luck the processes should be near-identical.

Word of warning; even if you build DOSBox by hand, it's not going to be very nice on a PowerPC machine. I know that without dynamic core, DOSBox on my 1.5GHz x86 (Linux) box is abominable.

Mac OS X comes with a copy of gcc (the GNU compiler collection), just the thing you need to build a copy of DOSBox from source.

To check if it's installed, open Terminal.app. It should look something like this:

Welcome to Darwin!
computername:~ user$

Now type in "g++" and press Return.

computername:~ user$ g++
powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.0: no input files

If you get something like the above message, this generally means that gcc and friends are installed, and you should be able to get started. If gcc is not installed, however, you'll get this message:

computername:~ user$ g++
-bash: g++: command not found

At which point you'll have to dig through your OS X install CDs for the developer tools.

I don't know much about OS X frameworks (as in, whether it provides just the libraries or the dev header files too), but just in case it might be a nice idea to grab the latest .tar.gz of the SDL source code and build that. The process I'm about to describe should work with building the SDL and DOSBox source codes, just substitute "sourcecode" for the name of the .tar.gz you downloaded. (as DOSBox depends on SDL, you want to build SDL first)

Step 1: Unpack

computername:~ user$ tar xzf sourcecode.tar.gz
computername:~ user$ cd sourcecode
computername:~/sourcecode user$

First, download the .tar.gz file containing source code to your OS X home folder. As in, the one with an icon of a house. Running the first command from Terminal.app will first extract the .tar.gz archive, and the second command will change folders to the source code directory you just extracted.

Step 2: Configure

computername:~/sourcecode user$ export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -funroll-all-loops"
computername:~/sourcecode user$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
checking build system type... blah blah blah
config.status: executing depfiles commands

The first line turns a couple of basic optimizations on. (I guessed these, if any Mac elitists want to correct me on the proper ones to use I'd be appreciative) The second line runs the "configure" script. Hopefully this makes the compiler adjust itself correctly for your system.

Step 3: BUILD

computername:~/sourcecode user$ make
[lots of stuff]

Now the moment of truth. This should compile SDL/DOSBox in full. If the last line it spits out is soemthing like "make: Leaving directory..." everything has gone smashingly. However if there are 3 asterisks (***) after the word "make", then something has cocked up and requires a bit of detective work.

Step 4: Install

computername:~/sourcecode user$ sudo make install
Password:
[lots of stuff]

Last step. The sudo command allows you to perform the following command as the root user (which isn't available by default in OS X). As long as your user account is an administration one, it should be able to use sudo. Simply type in your user password at the prompt, and it should install binaries in the appropriate spots.

Congratulations, you've compiled DOSBox. You can run it from the command line now by typing:

computername:~ user$ dosbox
CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a configfile to change them

And the DOS shell should appear. See? It's a total cakewalk when you know how ;p

Reply 4 of 6, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd highly advise you try to look for a precompiled binary then honestly. A gui you're not gonna get. You can try this one, it's a front end and binary in one and I think it'll work in 10.2 http://web.jet.es/guilly/slouc/software_petitdosbox.html

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Reply 6 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks Neowolf--

I tried this front end, but it didn't work. I think it's because it includes v0.63 built in. I'm going to try to get an earlier version, and direct it to use that version instead. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to dive in and use Nsmcovox's instructions; hopefully I know enough not to break something else! 😉

thanks, guys