VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by me

User metadata

I've bought my first mac a few days ago, and i can't figure out how you can mount in os x. In windows i mounted drive c:\, but that doesn't work, what do I need to do?

Reply 1 of 13, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Time to meet your file system again. Mac OS X has a unix-like getup. Your boot drive is just "/". Other drives are under "/Volumes/theirname" - replace theirname with their name. Your home folder is under "/Users/yourusername", your desktop under "/Users/yourusername/Desktop". Hopefully you get the idea. 😀

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Reply 3 of 13, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to play a game that requires a CD-ROM, with a specific name, mounted. I would like to use a directory with the files or a disk image. My last choice would be to burn a cd.

The result of the mount -cd command is:
CDROMs found: 1
0. Fake CD-ROM Device

I tried mounting a directory with the required files as a CD-ROM as per the SHAWN-README that came with the OS X version. But the game could not find it.

Any ideas?

Reply 4 of 13, by nsmcovox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you be more specific? Which game was this, did you use the "mount -t cdrom d /Unix/Path/To/Files" command to turn MSCDEX emulation on, was it the actual game that was complaining that it couldn't find files, if so have you tried installing the game off the DOSBox-emulated CD drive or finding a crack, etc. would all be useful to know.

Reply 5 of 13, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is World at War - D-Day: America Invades
I should add that I posted in this thread because I am using a Mac with 10.4.4, DOSBox .63

I did try the mount with the -t cdrom command by I may have worded it wrong. I typed:

mount d /path/to/directory -t cdrom

the reply was:

MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom

When I run the game from D ( in full screen or window) it goes to a black screen and then quits soon after I click and the mouse is captured.

If I try to run from a copy on another mounted drive it complains:

DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode
Run-time v. 1.97
Resource open 1 failed

I do have a crack that I involved a hex editor and I think I did it correctly. But the results are the same.
I just found another read me that mentions mounting disk images. Do they work the same on a mac as in unix or windows? I will try it.

Any other ideas?

Reply 6 of 13, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mind you, I have little experience with OSX, so these are only remarks from general experience:

You can try adding "-usecd 0" to the mount command (in addition to "-t cdrom", which you spelled correctly).

Next thing you could try: "-label XXX", use the actual CD label instead of XXX. The CD label is most probably the last part of the CDROM path (/Volumes/XXX).

Finally, the disk image thing: In a terminal window, something like "cat /dev/cdrom > cdrom.iso" should give you a file of several hundred MB which you can then mount in DOSBox like this: "imgmount d cdrom.iso -t iso". If "/dev/cdrom" doesn't work, you have to find out how your CD device is called...

Reply 7 of 13, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I discovered that mac disk images (.dmg) are not the same as .iso but you can create them using Disk Utility if create an image from a folder and set the format to CD/DVD Master. The result has the extention .cdr but this can be changed to .iso and will still mount (in OS X).

However DOSBox can not see it. When I try:

imgmount d /Invade_1.iso -t iso

I get:

Could not load image file: Invade_1.iso
MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid.

I simplified the path to make sure it was not just a typo.

Using -label with the mount command had the same results as reported in my second post. Using -label and -usecd 0 likewise.

I guess I'll try to burn a cd. Anyone have experiece with mounting actual CD's with OS X?

Reply 8 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

name the file 1.iso
copy it to /tmp

in dosbox:
mount c /tmp
imgmount d c:\1.iso -t iso

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 13, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I remember correctly the "Could not load image file..." means that the file has been found, but could not be loaded (at least it got somehow past the imgmount checks). The "MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid" is probably wrong here and the file is of a format not recognized by dosbox.

Reply 10 of 13, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i've learned some more, but no luck yet.
Taking the hint in the post above I went to find a utility that creates .iso images. Google found me one called Disc-O (http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emrebar/).

This image mounts in OS X with all the correct files, and appears to work in DOSBox. I created 1.iso in the /tmp directory; mounted c as /tmp; then tried: imgmount d c:\1.iso -t iso and got:

MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as 1.iso

So I switched to D and tried to run it from the image and got an illegal command. So I tried dir and:

file *.* not found

Is that correct? I assumed the files would be mounted and accessable.

After also moving the game files to /tmp I tried running the game from there with the image mounted at D. the result was the same as before:

DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode
Run-time v. 1.97
Resource open 1 failed

My crack hint claims "you need to mount the game files as a CD-rom titled "Invade_1" to play the game." Am I going about this the wrong way?

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking that your inability to view the files on the mounted image was a CD filesystem problem but I just tested dosbox with an image created with Nero with both ISO 9660 and Joliet and they both work fine.

Macs have their own CD filesystem don't they? (HFS?) Perhaps your imaging program is using this filesystem?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by Fikiri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally succeded in getting the game to run via a hack. I will post the details in the Games section where there is a thread for D-Day: America Invades.

Regarding mounting CD's and disk images in OS X, I can confirm that DOSBox does not recognize disk images made with Apple's Disk Utility whether in .dmg or .cdr formats. Second, .iso disk images also do not work (as pointed out above).

Third to mount a CD in OS X use the mount command with the form:

mount d /Volumes/CD_Name -t cdrom

Files on the cd should be available and available for manipulation.