VOGONS

Common searches

config.sys?

Topic actions

First post, by Optix

User metadata

I've got a customer who needs to use a DOS program in Windows XP. Compat mode doesn't work, so I tried DOSbox. The problem is that the rather poorly-written program expects a custom device driver to be loaded in the config.sys. I can't figure out how to emulate this in DOSbox. Any pointers?

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, DosBox doesn't use a config.sys since config.sys is used to load device drivers.....which DosBox doesn't need to do since it's only concerned with running games and the devices that it emulates do not require drivers or the functionality that usually requires drivers in real MS-DOS is built into DosBox.

To load drivers in DosBox that require the usage of config.sys in real MS-DOS, you'll have to use a program in DosBox that loads the drivers from the command line. I don't have a download handy at the moment but if you search around in google you'll find it or wait a bit while I look on my hard drive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also do a floppy image from a ms-dos bootdisk containing all required files and boot it from DOSBox. See BOOT and IMGMOUNT commands in the documentation.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

I looked at the suggestions here. I think the BOOT command would do what I need, but I don't know what I'm doing here.

As I gather it, I need a .img file of a working DOS boot disk. I can build the disk easily enough, but I don't know:

1) How to create the .img file. I've Googled and can't seem to find any Windows programs (I don't have a Linux box up at the moment) that I trust. I installed WinImage, but it doesn't have an option for .img and I don't know whether other formats work with DOSbox.

2) How to wrap the whole thing into a single command line so that the end user can just double-click an icon and use his software.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does trust have to do with it? It either works or it doesn't.

If I'm not mistaken, RAWrite should do the trick.
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm