VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, I did look but couldn't find anything about it.

Recently dosbox has had this odd problem of ignoring control changes in games for brief amounts of time - maybe a 10th of a second every few seconds it'll just ignore input. It's not control lag; it won't read new keypresses and it won't recognise that I've stopped pressing a key until after it's done doing whatever it is, making platformers difficult and first person games downright impossible (jumping or shooting too high or too early or not at all, or completely missing what I'm aiming for over and over).

I've had dosbox running fine for years; this is only in the last couple of weeks. It's possible someone changed some setting on my machine that's causing this, but I have no idea what it could be. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with dosbox itself.

I'm running Windows XP Home on a Centrino laptop (speedstepping isn't the problem either), using D-Fend and dosbox 0.63. Anyone else seen this happen? 😖

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm did you check your pc for spyware ?
as programs running in the background might mess up with dosbox.
how is the sound behaving in those games ? Any hitchups ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Guest

User metadata

D'oh.

I spent ages going through processes one by one, making sure they weren't spyware, then killing them anyway in case they were the problem. None of them were... I managed to fix it by *lowering* the priority in D-Fend.

priority.jpg

I'd had it on Higher for ages, probably since the last time I messed with settings to try speeding things up. Not totally sure why this fixed it, but there you go.

I have no idea what D-Fend's priority thing actually changes; I changed the dosbox process's priority in the task manager to no avail.

Reply 4 of 4, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe some regular keyboard software got in the way (because it had too little priority to run). You know, the type of tools that come with those "space cadet"-type keyboards with tons of multimedia keys, or cordless desktopns and so on...