Is this a bug?

DOSBox 0.63
Windows XP SP2

Reply 2 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. Center your monitor image using its buttons. 1280x1024 displays just fine on my TFT because that is its NATIVE RESOLUTION.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 14, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you prefer to have the improper stretching which fills the screen, I find the easiest way is to use gulikoza's build and choose direct3d as your output mode (in the latest one I tried, it happens even when I hope it won't 😀). Personally, I prefer to keep proper aspect scaling (with the black area at the top and bottom), but I sometimes use direct3d output anyway because I like the non-processed look of it.

Reply 5 of 14, by masu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Yeah. Center your monitor image using its buttons. 1280x1024 displays just fine on my TFT because that is its NATIVE RESOLUTION.

I already did this but no success 🙁

DOSBox 0.63
Windows XP SP2

Reply 6 of 14, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Follow the other people's advice if you want the image to cover the full screen. Keep in mind though that the reason you have the black bars is because right now it's NOT stretching the image out of proportion.

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Reply 7 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another way of putting it is that the top and bottom are NOT being cut off. Rather, it's like watching a widescreen movie on a normal TV.

neowolf: That's a little misleading though because I think it is actually out of proportion unless it's strected to fill the monitor. The reason is that, while the 1280x1024 resolution itself is 5:4, the physical monitor is 4:3. This is why I would never buy a 1280x1024 monitor or use that mode myself (at least for DOS games).

Reply 9 of 14, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Another way of putting it is that the top and bottom are NOT being cut off. Rather, it's like watching a widescreen movie on a normal TV.

neowolf: That's a little misleading though because I think it is actually out of proportion unless it's strected to fill the monitor. The reason is that, while the 1280x1024 resolution itself is 5:4, the physical monitor is 4:3. This is why I would never buy a 1280x1024 monitor or use that mode myself (at least for DOS games).

That's only true for CRT monitors. 1280x1024 LCD screens come in 5:4. There's no way to make LCD pixels extra crunched after all.

Reply 10 of 14, by tearex forgot password

User metadata

If you're mainly playing 320x200 games (probably these are a majority of all DOS games), 320x4=1280 and 200x5=1000 (which is close to 1024), so if you could display them at 1280x1000 they should look pretty well, better than on a square-pixel 4:3 screen.

--
Linards Ticmanis

Reply 12 of 14, by Bill123BB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the black bars too in full screen but haven't been able to get rid of them though I haven't been too concerned about it.

My Doxbox settings are :

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1024x768

(changing fullfixed to false makes not difference)

Windows XP properties are set to 1024x 768

My Samsung Syncmaster will not let me resize except by auto and it makes no difference. When I use the monitor menu to look at info it shows 680x480.

I could probably make changes in my Radeon 9600 software but afraid that would mess up everything else