VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Somewhere along the line I managed to create an error where I can't run dosbox on my Windows 98 machine; everything had been working fine, then I installed DirectX 9 (an update from I think version 8 ) and now I get the error

"Exit to error: Can't init SDL DirectInputDevice::SetCooperativeLevel: Unknown DirectInput error: 0x80004001"

Originally I was using a CVS version of DosBox, but I then tried deleting everything and installing the official 0.63 version, but I still get the same error. I tried downloading the latest sdl.dll version, but that also didn't help. Has anyone seen this error and have any idea on how to fix it? I'd rather not revert back to DirectX 8 as another emulator on this machine won't work with older versions of DirectX.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try copying the DX8 dxinput.dll into the dosbox directory and see if that works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Hmm, that didn't seem to work though I (apparently) finally found the problem (or at least a solution); Windows comes with a program DXDIAG.EXE which will tell you info about your directx installation; it also seemed suspicious of several files and suggested deleting them; after deleting dinput.vxd, dsound.vxd, and one or two others similar all of sudden dosbox seems to work ok (I didn't need to reinstall directx or anything after that, so I'm imagining those files were left over from my previous installation or something?). Anyway, I can't explain it, but I think that did the trick!

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did DXDIAG tell you why it didn't like the files? Those files are still used by DX9 for proper operation. It sounds like when you updated to DX9 that it did not upgrade those files, IIRC Windows 98 doesn't have a WFP function so once you delete those files the only way to get them back is to reinstall DX9.

So I'd recommend reinstalling DX9 because you WILL need those files (well not the old version of those files), the updated versions of those files from DX9 should work fine with DirectX and DosBox.....if not well then I guess you know the "fix" action.

Reply 4 of 6, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, interesting; I ran the DirectX 9 installer again, and it recreated all of the files I deleted. I tried DosBox again and it is still working.

DXDIAG's error message was pretty vague and didn't say what the problem was; unfortunately I didn't note the exact message, but it was something along the lines of "there is something wrong with the files '...' and they may need to be deleted". Really I was grasping at straws when I tried this and was surprised it worked; hopefully rerunning the installer put back everything I need.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. Thanks for replying back that reinstalling DX9 replaced the files and DosBox still works. Sweet. Something else to add to the DosBox FAQ.