VOGONS

Common searches

waveblaster

Topic actions

First post, by daveapple

User metadata

Isn't Dosbox brilliant. I've installed it on onto my new mac ibook and used it to istall windows3.1. I love 3.1 it's so simple and easy to use. anyways i then installed Sound Blaster 16 and had a play with waveblaster.

I can't get waveblaster to play sterio, 44100Hz, 16 wave files without getting loads of noise through my speakers. mono 22050Hz 8bit files work fine but im looking for better quality than that. also is there a way of making Doxbox faster with more RAM and memory. Im using an ibook so you'd think i could make it really fast. I've had a play with dosbox.conf but i don't really know what im doing.

got any ideas?

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, Windows 3.1 is only really operational under Normal core. On x86 processors we have the option to use Dynamic core which makes Windows 3.1 ALOT faster but unfortunately causes the keyboard to not work. Which means that everyone has to use Normal core for now.

So....no. There is no way currently to get Windows 3.1 to be faster under DosBox. It's possible that if you use the latest CVS of DosBox that it may be a little faster but it probably won't be by much.

If you really want to use Windows 3.1 to it's fullest then I recommend using Qemu or Virtual PC. Windows 3.1 runs just fine under those emulators and will pretty much always be better than DosBox (because the main focus of DosBox is DOS not Windows).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by davidapple

User metadata

thats a shame. love dosbox, its so easy and free.

is there a reason why the keyboard stops working when dynamic core is turned off? it seems like a bit of a waste of time it being there if it stops the keyboard working. if they do a new version on dosbox i hope they fix this problem.