VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer though.

I tried to use DOSBox 'fullfixed' with resolution 1280x1024. So it works, but there still remains unused space in the bottom and top of the screen.
How can I change the aspect ratio to make it fill the entire screen? "aspect=" under [render] doesn't do any difference.

Look at the attachment if you have no idea what I'm talking about 😜

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please don't mind that "DOSBox Shell v0.65", I'm using the beta testers build but I guess that shouldn't make a difference 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    stretchplease.png
    File size
    23.41 KiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 28, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that's the way it is. It's the same for my TFT (its native resolution is 1280x1024 too). I think that is because physical aspect ratio among video modes is different but I could be wrong.

And yeah, there's no difference between 0.63 and 0.65rc1 - The only difference I have found is that ddraw output is a lot less blurrier in 0.65rc1.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 28, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is normal and correct. Most older games only operat at a 4:3 aspect ratio. The resolution you just specified is quite common on LCD screens and is 5:4. It's a bit taller than typical. Filling up the whole screen would involve stretching the image out of proportion.

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

Reply 5 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neowolf wrote:

I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is normal and correct. Most older games only operat at a 4:3 aspect ratio. The resolution you just specified is quite common on LCD screens and is 5:4. It's a bit taller than typical. Filling up the whole screen would involve stretching the image out of proportion.

Yes, that's what I was trying to ask, "Can you stetch the image out of proportion?".

Hmm, I'll post this in the Wish List thread.

Reply 6 of 28, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
neowolf wrote:

Most older games aren't using a 4:3 aspect ratio. That would be 320x240, while they have 320x200. I haven't looked into this myself, as I still on my CRT, but it's something I think DOSBox should be able to handle.

Reply 8 of 28, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
neowolf wrote:

If the game is 320x200 (as most are), it would make sense to be able to stretch it to 1280x1000. That would fill almost the whole screen, and doesn't involve any non-integer stretching.

tearex

Reply 9 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

ChaosFish, using OpenGL-HQ, you can. See the patches forum for details.

OpenGL-HQ just crashed my Windows 😖
Thanks anyway, I'll wait for it to become more stable 😀

Reply 10 of 28, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With Ati and NVidia cards (i had tested many these cards) with LCD and CRT monitors (tested many of them too) dosbox should cover the whole screen with default configuration. Unless of course you have messed up something somewhere in dosbox, or your system.

ChaosFish: what output do you use? what is your gfx card? and what is your monitor? do you use any additional programs for gfx (powerstrip for example)?

I think you should use
output=surface
fullfixed=false
scaler=none
aspect=false
and every game should be stretched to cover the whole monitor by your gfx card itself. No extra features needed fot that.

Reply 11 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used the defualt dosbox.conf (both in gulikoza and ykhwong build) and just changed:
fullfixed=true
fullresolution=1280x1024
output=openglhq

This either displays black output or crashes Windows (it only crashed Windows when i tried to run a heavy game with it - LBA2). Only happens while in full screen.

But I now tried:
output=direct3d
scaler=normal2x

And this works! The screen is stretched, almost, all over the resolution space. Still it's "almost", but almost is enough I guess.

About your suggestion not to use fullfixed, just like eL I have an LCD monitor with 1280x1024 as it's native resolution. Any other resolution just doesn't look good on it.

Reply 12 of 28, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChaosFish wrote:

About your suggestion not to use fullfixed, just like eL I have an LCD monitor with 1280x1024 as it's native resolution. Any other resolution just doesn't look good on it.

I am not sure I understand you. The screen you posted is blury. But you didn't complain about it being blury. You complained only about it not being stretched to top and bottom.

Reply 13 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:
ChaosFish wrote:

I am not sure I understand you. The screen you posted is blur. But you didn't complaing about it being blury. You complained only about it not being stretched to top and bottom.

Direct3D also fixes the blur thing, I think (using with normal2x at least).

Anyway, it's not only plain blur, there's something unpleasant to the eye when I try to view lower resolutions in my monitor.

Btw I forgot to say: I'm using GeForce FX 5200.

Reply 14 of 28, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, Direct3D and OpenGLNB doesn't use bluring.
But i think you souldn't use normal2x, there is no need to use software and hardware scaler together. It just slows things down and also makes the scaling uglier. (unless there is some detection method that automaticly turns off normal2x when you use direct3d)

Reply 15 of 28, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, normal2x is hardware scaled when output mode supports it 😀

D3D (in fullscreen) will either force 4:3 aspect (when aspect=true) or use the closest integer scaling (so that x and y scaling factors are integer) to 4:3 when aspect=false. This mode is useful for LCD monitors because it will not blur any pixels. Window modes are the same as other dosbox outputs.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 16 of 28, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, 'normal2x' and 'none' look the same.
I'll use none then.

Another thing I just noticed, ykhwong's DOSBox doesn't work when I try to use Direct3D. Direct3D only works with gulikoza's build.

Reply 18 of 28, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess it would be possible if there was a config entry for it...
Seems the core of all problems is that most LCDs are 5:4 AR 😀. I don't know...I still use a CRT, but if I had a LCD I'd probably use my integer scaling algorithm. That should give you a 1280x1000 size picture with really small black bars, less blurred pixels and more correct AR then 1280x1024.

(oh yeah...ykhwong's recent build doesn't have d3d. I haven't updated the patch for recent cvs changes yet. I'm currently working on it...)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza