VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by engk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read around here that MUNT would work with dosbox. I followed the instructions to install the driver and had set my windows MIDI device to "MT-32 Synth" and dosbox config midi to "mt32", but for some reason dosbox does not seem to use this and it makes no difference what the windows midi device is set to. The sound is totally different from the CVS with built-in MT-32 emulation. Is there something I'm missing out? Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 of 5, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi engk,

If you're not using the CVS version with built-in MT-32 support, you should have 'device' set to 'default'. Then, you may have to set 'config' to the logical windows device number for selecting the Munt driver (I use config=1).

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 2 of 5, by engk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks rcblanke, it worked!

It sounds right now, although somehow the sound is still inferior to the CVS with the built-in emulator (more robust and accurate).

The CVS comes with additional files like preset1.syx, drumpat.rom, patchlog.cfg. Do you think these files responsible for the difference?

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The Dosbox CVS with builtin Munt is probably using newest Munt CVS. The driver is older.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by engk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess there is some confusion here. I thought that there was only one CVS build with mt-32 emulation, but it seems that there are others claiming to have emulation too.

The build that I am actually refering to in my previous posts is CanadaCow's build, which is rather old by CVS standards. The newer ones by ykhwong and gulikoza sounds pretty awful (by setting midi device to "mt32"). CanadaCow's build while unlistenably choppy (probably due to lack of timesync) is clearly miles ahead of the game. Installing MUNT into windows sounds much closer to CanadaCow's version.

I find this degeneration in sound quality surprising as these things usually get better with time.

Reply 5 of 5, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
engk wrote:

I guess there is some confusion here. I thought that there was only one CVS build with mt-32 emulation, but it seems that there are others claiming to have emulation too.

The build that I am actually refering to in my previous posts is CanadaCow's build, which is rather old by CVS standards. The newer ones by ykhwong and gulikoza sounds pretty awful (by setting midi device to "mt32"). CanadaCow's build while unlistenably choppy (probably due to lack of timesync) is clearly miles ahead of the game. Installing MUNT into windows sounds much closer to CanadaCow's version.

I find this degeneration in sound quality surprising as these things usually get better with time.

Between the driver and the cvs-builtin mt-32 emulation I thought both were way off from testing my sierra games. They were missing instruments and just sounded way off.