Common searches

Dosbox 0.65 is AMAZING

Topic actions

First post, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know fan useless threads are probably not nessesary, but damnit guys you've outdone yourselves. Games like Crusader and System Shock had terrible lagging sound on my FX-53, forcing me to use frame skipping and other fixes that only caused fps issues.

Now they run like a dream. Perfect video + perfect sound = one happy retro gamer! 😁 I'm compelled to run every game I own just to see any boosts I get from using this new version.

Best yet, it still works in the old D-fend. Just add 'original' to the list of resolutions and a few other options and all set. 😎

I am going to test a few games known to have issues just to be on the safe side.

Reply 4 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The verdict is still out on a few things, but so far I'm seeing major improvements over the CVS build I was using. I still have quite a bit to try out though.

EDIT - Dear god, even Duke3D runs full speed for me now. 😎

Reply 7 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd never used video record features of the CVS before so this is a fun feature for me to play with. 😁 Perfect for showing people old nostalgic moments.

Reply 13 of 44, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I guess anything considered unstable, not integrating with the rest of dosbox too well, or otherwise less-than-perfect was kept out of the official release so there wouldn't be loads of people complaining about it.

Reply 14 of 44, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of questions: Does Windows 3.11 work under this version? I lost contact with the CVS builds several months ago.

If so, what is the easiest way to install it from an ISO image? I'm using D-Fend.

Reply 17 of 44, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I know there's no CD version. It's just that in order to make it easier to install it under virtual machines (I use VMWare Workstation) I copied the whole installation package into a ISO file.

I'll check that guide, thanks. BTW, to the dude who said he can run Quake smoothly, what are youe machine specs and what settings are you using? I have quite a few early Pentium era games I'd like to test as well.

Reply 18 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake is the heaviest of the DOS games. I highly doubt he's running it @ 640x480 probably at some resolution lower than that although it's probably playable @ 640 but not ideal.

Anyways the FPS engine games are the slowest of the protected mode games under DosBox, other protected mode games are just fine with a recent processor.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline