Common searches

Dosbox 0.65 is AMAZING

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's better running some of those games using a native port engine. For instance, Quake is cool using "Darkplaces".

For Doom and Hexen, "Doomsday".

Jonof has made some ports for 3DRealms build games.

And the list is even bigger.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 23 of 44, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just make a Google search. Searching these forums may give you some results too.

PS - DosFreak types faster than anyone else here... 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 24 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, Tekwar was based on the "BUILD", engine. I lost my copy long ago but it should run fine in Windows XP without DosBox (with terrible sound quality of course). It may also run fine in DosBox too since Duke3D is "playable" in DosBox @ 640x480.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 25 of 44, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

anyway, i wont download, as it comes with a crap installer thing (god i hate those)
Zip/rar version somewhere ?

btw I was wondering if it would be the case of putting a "Win32 zipped" version beside the "Win32 installer" on the main download page, for people which hate installers.

Reply 26 of 44, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd think that those sort of people would hate pre-compiled binaries as well.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd think that those sort of people would hate pre-compiled binaries as well.

In the case of Dosbox, yes, you are right. But generally I do like zipped only versions if the program doesn't really need an installer.
The only reason I now see for an installer (besides that "normal" users are better off with an installer) for Dosbox is the "newly" added video capture codec.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 32 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adventur wrote:

This is a great day for Dos Gamers of the world! cheers! 😀
I wonder if Ultima VII is playable now...

"Now?" 😒 Ultima VII has been playable for a very long time. I would know, because if it wasn't I'd be at the front of the line begging for it to be fixed. It works perfectly, I run it at 15000 cycles for best results.

Reply 33 of 44, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Now?" 😒 Ultima VII has been playable for a very long time. I would know, because if it wasn't I'd be at the front of the line begging for it to be fixed. It works perfectly, I run it at 15000 cycles for best results.

Really? I find it way too fast at that speed (it's almost impossible for me to do anything reasonable during a fight), 7000 cycles is more like what I like the game to be. Though maybe that's because I generally suck at fast games. 😁

tearex

Reply 34 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TeaRex wrote:

Really? I find it way too fast at that speed (it's almost impossible for me to do anything reasonable during a fight), 7000 cycles is more like what I like the game to be. Though maybe that's because I generally suck at fast games. 😁

Well I used to play this game non-stop back in the 'old days' so I tend to want it to be the proper speed. 😉 If the cycles are set too low the game seems to struggle a little while walking.

Reply 35 of 44, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, Avatar, this is indeed good news! we're talking dosbox, not Exult or anything right? because I've ben wanting to play it for some time now, and it wouldn't comply by any means when I tried 😢
Any hints to run it?

Reply 36 of 44, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a crash within about 2 minutes of using the new DOSBox. Well, not a crash so much as a hardware reset. The worst thing is I lost my place in a IRC queue I'd been waiting in for 12 hours. That really, really sucks.

Not sure if I'm so keen to try it again.

Reply 37 of 44, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adventur wrote:

Awesome, Avatar, this is indeed good news! we're talking dosbox, not Exult or anything right? because I've ben wanting to play it for some time now, and it wouldn't comply by any means when I tried 😢
Any hints to run it?

Set 'EMS=False' in the dosbox.conf (or in 0.65 type EMS FALSE)

Also yes, dosbox. Exult works.....but is not the original code and still very lacking in some areas such as scripting and enemy AI. Its just not the same.

Reply 38 of 44, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

still very lacking in some areas such as scripting and enemy AI

I take offense in these words 😀
There is no scripting in U7, there is usecode which controls everything and usecode works very well, you can even write your own usecode now and run that. Enemy AI is almost as bad as the original's.
It IS still very lacking in schedules and stealing and recently we found that the annoying sfx in the original aren't all played back (firesword), though 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 39 of 44, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darkfalz wrote:

I got a crash within about 2 minutes of using the new DOSBox. Well, not a crash so much as a hardware reset.

What OS are you running? If it's not Win 9x, then a hardware reset is usually (though not always) a sign of some deeper trouble, not of a buggy application.

For example, are you sure your machine is running stable, i.e. not overclocked too much or with some flaky chip somewhere? You might want to try running something that really taxes it, like e.g. the "torture test" of the program "Prime95". Run it for some hours and see if you get any errors. If you don't, then your CPU is probably running stable.

But still you could have some flakyness in your graphics card for example. Try running DOSBox with some other setting for "output=" in the configuration file. Can you play back movie files and play hardware accelerated 3D games without crashes or other problems?

EDIT: Also make sure you have the newest stable drivers for your graphics card. Many people have reported trouble with buggy older drivers or beta drivers in the past.

tearex