VOGONS

Common searches

Game speed

Topic actions

First post, by Ghuojaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, ive got Elder Scrolls Battlespire, so I downloaded DOS box DOS emulator 0.65. I can get the game to play, but it is so slow, and I really dont know much about DOS box DOS emulators. If anyone is able to give me instructions on how to make my game go faster, please tell me. Ive got:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1.00 GB RAM
Unknown CPU Type
1.25 Ghz

Please help me.
-Thanks ƒ

Reply 1 of 6, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Battlespire require a very fast computer. First, you need to open dosbox.conf with notepad and do the following changes:
memsize=63
core=dynamic
cycles=40000

Then start the game and press CTRL+F12 to raise the amount of cycles if you can, or CTRL+F11 to lower them. The game runs playable with 40,000 cycles on the low resolution. But 50,000 is all that my AMD Athlon 64 3500+ can handle, and I very much doubt your CPU can handle that. Or 40,000 even.

Reply 2 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By coincidence, this was the first (and so far only) game I tried with 0.65. I set core=dynamic and cycles=auto and it is *almost* playable! I realized that I didn't change the output= to something fast like ddraw - I'll try this tonight.

I was impressed that it was even able to play the CD audio music tracks directly off of the CD.

Reply 3 of 6, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On 0.70 I can get a steady 20fps in Battlespire by using a dynamic core, 70000 cycles, and 32MB RAM. This is on a P4/3.20GHz chip with HT, not dual-core.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please, do not write everything in CAPS. It is as if you were shouting to us.

*** I have changed your thread's title to lowercase ***

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 6, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I was searching for Battlespire tweaks to increase performance and did not notice the date until I posted. The search option apparently goes all the way back to the forum beginning!

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!