VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Harvester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First let me say MANY MANY Thanks to those who are responsible for DOSBox! I have had a great time playing some of my old DOS games again.

Is there any way of getting some sort of an indicator that shows when one of the mounted drives is accessed?

Just wondering......

Harvester

Reply 1 of 12, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's not a bad idea. One possibility would be to have the letters of all the mounted drives in the DOSBox title bar, and have them get brighter or darker whenever the virtual drive is accessed.

Reply 2 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does DosBox determine what is or not is an "access"? Are you asking for an HD read LED like on a PC?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Harvester does have a point. Simply looking at your own computer's HDD access light is not enough, especially if your mounted drive is on a controller that doesn't trigger the light on the case. I'm in that situation with one of my computers, where the accessing the two drives on a seperate IDE controller card doesn't trigger the case light.

In any case, it would be nice to have some onscreen feedback (especially if you have more than one mounted drive). Maybe add an extra little window that has all the status lights in it? Include an option in dosbox.conf to disable it if the user doesn't want it.

Reply 7 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't enabling extra output in the console window produce the same effect? Sure you wouldn't see a blinking light but you'd know what it's reading/writing to.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 12, by Harvester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I realized that it would slow things down but I was wondering if there was a way of toggleing something on so that it was displayed in the console.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a game that is crashing and I think it's because it is trying to access the cdrom.....I'm not sure of this, but I have no real way of knowing.

Thanks again
Harvester

Reply 10 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

use debugger version of DOSBox (development forum)
it should display which files are opened/created.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both UAE and Fellow got a graphical HD read LED on the emu window. Optional, of course, but it's a nice little feature.

I think it would be neat if DOSBox had something similar, either in the title of the window or something graphical in some of the corners of the screen.