Common searches

First post, by mcs1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just downloaded.... very cool, BUT...
I can't get the arrow keys to work.
LEFT sends a 4, RIGHT sends a 6,
and no change in keymapper will change what it does.
Any ideas?
New clueless user,
Doug

Reply 2 of 16, by QuietGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mcs1234 wrote:
Just downloaded.... very cool, BUT... I can't get the arrow keys to work. LEFT sends a 4, RIGHT sends a 6, and no change in key […]
Show full quote

Just downloaded.... very cool, BUT...
I can't get the arrow keys to work.
LEFT sends a 4, RIGHT sends a 6,
and no change in keymapper will change what it does.
Any ideas?
New clueless user,
Doug

What kind of keyboard layout do you use?
And did you try to switch numlock?

Reply 3 of 16, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try pressing numlock several times, too (3 or 4 times). SDL seems to have problems getting the initial state of the numlock toggle.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 16, by mcs1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, you're onto something.
If I turn NUMLOCK off, the arrow keys function perfectly.
When I turn it back on, nope.
Unfortunately, with this app, I need the numlock on AND the arrow keys to work.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Doug

Reply 5 of 16, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somehow, your keymapping has been set so that the numeric keypad and the navigational arrows have been placed on the same settings. Try deleting the keymapper file.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 16, by QuietGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Numlock and the arrow keys on the numpad don't function together, that's why they invented the numlock-key.

What arrow keys do you use?

1130725213_zarrowkeys.jpg

or

numpad.jpg

The above are the real arrow keys, which work together with the numpad if numlock is on.
The second image is the numpad, which is an arrow pad when numlock is off, and a numberic pad if numlock is on.

Reply 7 of 16, by mcs1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea Kippesoep, but no luck.
And boy, do I appreciate the lesson from QuietGuy on what a keypad and arrow keys look like (wouldn't have known without the pics). I guess it's easier to say something demeaning than just say "I don't know".
Anyhow, to your point - That did make sense to me, but I tried it and it didn't change anything. It must've created another one that functions like the first. Over the weekend, I'm gonna try a different keyboard and see what happens.
Pretty quirky, huh? What would you do next?

Reply 8 of 16, by mcs1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, now I'm replying to myself.....
New keyboard does the same thing.
With numlock OFF, navigation arrows work, but the keypad becomes the alternate function (Home, End, PageUp, PageDn, etc).
If I turn the numlock on, the keypad #'s work, the navigayional arrow keys become 2,4,6 & 8.
Is there a way to the keypad work as numbers WHILE the nav keys function as normal arrows.
Me again,
Doug

Reply 10 of 16, by QuietGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mcs1234 wrote:

And boy, do I appreciate the lesson from QuietGuy on what a keypad and arrow keys look like (wouldn't have known without the pics). I guess it's easier to say something demeaning than just say "I don't know".

It was just a suggestion, since maybe you know it, but you should be surprised by how many folks make mistakes with that. Just wanted to be sure.

Another suggestion could be a specific keyboard driver, or checking direct input. Although I never heard of numlock having an effect on the real arrow keys though.

Reply 12 of 16, by QuietGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mcs1234 wrote:

Saw the file in the directory. Don't know what's in it or how to manipulate it. You had the problem? How did you fix it?
Me again,
Doug

Can you zip your dosbox dir (or at least the conf-file) and upload it somewere? I want to try to simulate the problem but I can't. And sorry if it offended you that I first tried all the "stupid" stuff before getting deeper into the matter, but I worked on a support desk before and there it was mostly an easy fix like described above.