VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by odark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get some pretty severe sound skipping/stuttering at around 30000+ cycles on Dos Box. Not present in windows when it occurs... Here are some of my System Specs.
Windows XP SP2
AMD 64 3400+ 1MB Cache
Geforce 6600GT OC 550/1100 AGP 8X
1GB PC4000 Dual Channel DDR
Sound Blaster Live 24Bit
DX9C

It's odd because the stutter doesn't start until around 30000+ cycles. Which is annoying because for me that is about how much is required to play blood at a decent framerate.

"Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die..." -Indigo Montoya, Princess Bride

Reply 1 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

then the cycles are too high 😀
it's so simple.
you can try the dynamic core if you haven't though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, with that PC you probably can't handle 30000+ cycles. I have an AMD FX-53 (equiv to a 4000+ plus I think) and I just barely get Blood going smooth with no stuttering.

Instead I would stick with Deathmask's method: http://buildxp.deathmask.net/ as its the best way to get full speed in build engine games (including Blood) on modern PCs.

Reply 3 of 13, by odark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting thanks for the heads up man. I'll give this a shot, hopefully I'll be stabbing people with pitch forks in no time.

"Hello, my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die..." -Indigo Montoya, Princess Bride

Reply 4 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
odark wrote:

Interesting thanks for the heads up man. I'll give this a shot, hopefully I'll be stabbing people with pitch forks in no time.

Lemme know if it doesn't. I have Blood running in 640x480 perfectly smooth and full sound. 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

320x240

i can have it run fine everywhere that isnt an open area.

p4 3.0ghz (ht)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 6 of 13, by odark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried everything on that site you linked. It starts up and crashes immediately. Any ideas or pointers?

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always play BUILD games in DosBox @ 640x480 resolution and below and they are playable @ 640x480 but not ideal. For a proper gameplay experience I'd probably drop to a lower resr. (Which obviously isn't idea since if you play BUILD engine games on the same computer in MS-DOS you'll get a bajillion fps per second).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
odark wrote:

I tried everything on that site you linked. It starts up and crashes immediately. Any ideas or pointers?

You've installed VDMsound right? Downloaded his shortcuts? Did you remember to patch the game's exe with CLI2NOP (it will say "XX Patched")?

Reply 11 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, are you running the games FROM the shortcuts on that website? If so, when you say "starts up and crashes" do you mean in the menu? In the game? In other words how far into the games do you get before it crashes?

Which sound options did you select? I recommend trying to start the games without any sound and in 320x240 to see if that at least works, if not then something else is wrong.

Also - did you check in the VDMsound-made shortcut that it is pointing to the location of the game's exe and that NOLFB (in the autoexec section) is in the correct location?

Reply 12 of 13, by odark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the case of blood it initializes the engine and immediately crashes to desktop. I also tried the 320x240 trick as well, I also checked the VLP files and they are pointing to the correct locations (c:\games\blood for example.) I'm entirely clueless on this 🤣. Oh and thank you for your continued interest on this issue of mine.

Reply 13 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
odark wrote:

Oh and thank you for your continued interest on this issue of mine.

No prob.

First of all I would suggest posting your issues here if you haven't already:

http://forums.deathmask.net/viewforum.php?f=4

Their official forums, as these guys deal with this more than I have. You say it initializes and then quits - so on the DOS4GW screen? Whats the last thing it says? In other words the sound initiates, blah blah blah and then it quits right at the end? Using dosbox is there a step its missing, because it might help to try and figure out what its getting stuck on.

I'm trying to think of what it could be, because something like this happened to me when I was setting it up. Are any of the files in the directory read only? A longshot, considering it works in dosbox... 😅

Hmm...you installed the vdmsound update right? Try re-patching with CLI2NOP just in case - go into the command line and do it that way (run - CMD, cli2nop -p blood.exe) so that you can visually see if it fails or if it succeeds, as I remember this being an issue.