VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thorus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if anybody has tried to make a configuration file database for all the supported games. If the answer is no then the next question is why not?

I understand that some settings will have to be computer specific but there are many settings that must be set differently by game.

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends. Alot of new configurations options have been added to DosBox since 0.65.... I doubt the DosBox config will change too much in the future but you never know.

Also there's no one perfect config for a game.

Cycles/Sound/Video/Input/Networking/Frameskip/DOS32A/etc...etc...etc..

Frankly I consider it a waste of time for now but that's coming from the person that maintains a compatibility list of 2400+ games on an excel spreadsheet. 🙄

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by thorus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wouldn't there be an optimal setting for the game (given a powerful Real CPU) such as early games would have only expected to have run on an 8 mhz machine or 486 games were happy with a 33 mhz machine. I recall trying to play older games on my 486 that needed to be slowed down to be played. Maybe I'm wrong here but there should be some setting that should work well without having to max out CPU. But then again I am new to this so I could be misunderstanding it.

As far as the sound settings I would guess that the defaults should suffice.

But also a standardized autoexec for each game would be good.