VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Martincg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NumLock stops the PageUp and Page Down keys from working. These are the seperate keys not the ones in the numeric keypad group. I have tried different keyboards.( UK extended)
I have looked at the relevant threads and the problem with numlock seems to have existed for some time.
If I write a dos program to show what the key code is when a key is pressed then in DOSBox
when usescancodes=true
--with NumLOck on, PageUp is 39 (ie '9')
----------------------- PageDn is 33 (ie'3')
-- with NumLock off, PageUp is 4900 (ie correct)
------------------------PageDn is 5100 (correct)

when usescancodes=false
--- PageUp and PageDn do not produce any key input whether or not
---NUmLock is on.

However, on my laptop PgUp and PgDn work ok with NUmLock on and off.

Is there a fix or work-around for this problem?

Reply 1 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That's the fault of SDL, their windib delivers different
scancodes than the directx driver. It's said that they
fixed it in the SVN version (that is after the 1.2.10
public version release), but i didn't test it.
Try to change the output= in dosbox.conf, by chance one
of them doesn't fall back to the windib driver.

Reply 2 of 9, by Martincg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks wd, but changing output doesn't help.
Also, the arrow keys act like numbers if the numlock is on, and the way the numlock works seems to vary; sometimes with the numlock lit the numeric 9 acts like PgUp but turn numlock off then on againg and numeric 9 acts like 9 again.

I don't understand how people can use DOSBox if it can't work out which keys are pressed. Seems like a serious problem to me or else I'm being totally stupid about something. Anyway, for the moment DOSBox looks good except that it doesn't quite work for me unless I use a laptop.

Reply 4 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> I don't understand how people can use DOSBox if it can't work out which keys are

This happens only rarely when the directdraw interface of SDL can't set
the vide mode. Then it'll fall back to windib thus using a different event
handling. As stated on the SDL page somewhere, the windib driver
wasn't tested that much thus behaves different than the directdraw
driver. As hal said, try to update directx or the graphics drivers, this
might help.

Reply 5 of 9, by Martincg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have already tried the different options for usescancodes as it says in my original post (unless there are options other than true and false).
I have the directx version 9.0c on my PC which has the problem and on my laptop which doen't have the problem.

If I use EDIT (DOS6.22) then I get the same problem so surely this means it's nothing to do with directx, or dos DOSBox use directx whether the application does or not?
Are you saying that when you run DOSBox you don't get any of these problems with the NUmlock?

Reply 7 of 9, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martincg wrote:

If I use EDIT (DOS6.22) then I get the same problem so surely this means it's nothing to do with directx, or dos DOSBox use directx whether the application does or not?

Sure it does. Applications running inside DOSbox can't be DirectX users of course since DirectX didn't even exist in DOS. It's always DOSbox itself that uses DirectX (or doesn't), never the application inside DOSbox.

Remember that DOSbox is an Emulator. The application running inside it doesn't run on (and doesn't see) your real Computer, it runs on (and sees) an emulated DOS computer system which of course doesn't have DirectX.

tearex

Reply 9 of 9, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hate digging up old threads but I recently had a user with the same problem, he could fix it by changing output devices. He used DOSBox 0.72.

http://erikggdog.forumup.be/about79-erikggdog.html

Seems the problem in SDL remains.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc