VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 520 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well Stuart, you might want to blame yourself.

The dbgl does "the right thing" ™ by obeying any JAVA_HOME variable set in your environment. My guess is that your $JAVA_HOME points to something that no longer exists, or it points to something that is a symlink to something that does not exist.

As for the name and location of the configuration file, that changed between DOSB0x 0.7x and 0.73. Maybe Ronald didn't get it right, or maybe the person who packaged it up for that Packman repository didn't get it right.

Use the official distribution from http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/#download, fix your JAVA_HOME, and be happy!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 521 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phual, I think MiniMax is right, looks like your JAVA_HOME is somehow incorrect. Still, your feedback is appreciated, and it might help other users.

I just tried the DBGL 0.65b package on a fresh OpenSuse11.1x64 installation; Had to install openjdk and sdl_sound and sdl_net, but that was it.

BTW I can't remember ever being involved in creating a 'Packman' package, don't know who was.

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

Reply 522 of 1970, by mhenry676

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can we some x64 builds for windows on your site?

I found the 0.65b x64 on the previous page for my Vista x64 and so far so good, but I still need to do a true test.

Main System: ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe | Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Stock (OC to 2.75GHz) | 4GB G.Skill DDR400 (OC to DDR500) | SLI XFX 550M & 570M GeForce 7950GT 512MB | SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer | Cheap, Crappy Case!!!

Reply 525 of 1970, by mhenry676

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just tried 0.65B 64bit vista version and it fails to launch

Might need java x64 installed for that one.

How do I set JAVA_HOME? (I've never had to before)

Main System: ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe | Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Stock (OC to 2.75GHz) | 4GB G.Skill DDR400 (OC to DDR500) | SLI XFX 550M & 570M GeForce 7950GT 512MB | SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer | Cheap, Crappy Case!!!

Reply 530 of 1970, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok theres no log i did a test however, there is an if else statment it appears to be going into else and attempting to run start /b javaw -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar || pause

i put a pause before it to test it was getting to this bit, by removing start /b it gets to the pause that occurs at the end so it must be an error in the jar or with java itself

Is there any way to test to see if it is indeed the 64bit version of java i have isntalled? i got it from the page your sent to from the 64bit info page on the sun website but it doenst mention 64bit on the windows download for java as it was installed to c:\program files (x86)\ and so i'm somewhat unsure as to the version that it actually is since some other apparently 64bit programs are also isntalled to there by default too

Reply 531 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some bugs-

1. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in Mac-

You can see the "Add Profile Edit Profile etc." is not well distinguished. Could these be made into buttons or something so its clear what the options are?

2. When I select a template from within a profile, it does not "stick" I don't think it works.

3. Could IPX support be made better? I suggest that instead of the Enable IPX button, there be 2 options: a. Start IPX Server (with a field for a port number, with the default port # in there by default) b. Start Client, with a field for a IP # and a Port.

It would be nice if there was better network support than this, such as using modern networking helping the process. Such as a button called AUTO IPX NETWORKING. When checked, it would: a. Start a IPX Server if No other DBGL Startservers are running on the local network. b. if there is a server running, the DBGL (on the computer who started the startserver) will send necessary information to the client IPX to connectserver successfully. There will probably need to be some kind of Port Test as well, to select a good port. I am just dreaming here. Not sure if its possible.

Attachments

• Filename
    DBGL.jpg
    File size
    64.09 KiB
    Downloads
    237 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 532 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another suggestion,

It would be nice if there was some sort of help for using DBGL. Often I find some of the options cryptic, not knowing if or when I should be using it, or even what it does for that matter.

Is there a way to give "hints" when the most hovers over this or that?

If there was a text file where I could fill stuff out and submit, I would be happy to. Or maybe I could do it some other way if it was not too hard. I have a background in programming, but don't have time to muck with too much stuff.

Reply 533 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A new build (0.65c) is ready; I hope you like the new features:

* MobyGames querying! Thanks to some code from Manuel, DBGL can now contact MobyGames to receive game information by the profile's title. When multiple matches are found, DBGL will display a popup screen in which you may select the correct game. Even when editing multiple games at once, MobyGames consulting can be performed. Keep in mind that this could potentially hit many profiles, so, as ever, please make a backup of existing profile data before you start testing this beta functionality.
* Updates to the user interface with optional icons and more toolbar buttons
* Some additions to the settings dialog to configure the imagebuttons and MobyGames updates
* Added Italian translation from code120 (Please realize that most translations are a bit outdated because of all the new functions)
* You can now actually run a template
* Refactored Windows desktop shortcut creation, effectively fixing this on 64-bit JVMs. JShortcut was dropped in favour of CScript (WindowsXP and up)* Fixed an important bug where dosbox.conf drive mounts were not correctly being used when running a game's setup (thank you Ronald S.)
* Added a Carbon OSX package for OSX 10.4 (Tiger) environments

IMPORTANT: Please realize that an apache library file is required for the MobyGames functionality. So, for existing DBGL installations, instead of just updating the dbgl.jar, you will also require this new file to be stored in the dbgl/lib folder.

All the latest files

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    ssnew.png
    File size
    220.97 KiB
    Downloads
    241 downloads
    File comment
    Screenshot of some of the fancy new features
    File license

Reply 534 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like the new build

Some things I have noticed-

The new icons are GREAT, also is the new "add profile, edit profile" etc. Could they be grayed out when unavailable?

I really like the new MobyGames support. I did notice this though: when searching for "Dungeon Keeper" it found 3 results, none of them the one I wanted, which was Dungeon Keeper Gold.

I also noticed that instead of replacing the Notes, it add onto the bottom of them. I had previously selected a wrong version of the game, and the Notes compiled when I was trying to select the right one.

I know its a fairly natural thing to suggest, but could the Moby screenshots & Cover art be integrated as well?

Reply 535 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyberaxe wrote:

Is there any way to test to see if it is indeed the 64bit version of java i have installed?

Java 64bit should have been installed to C:\Program Files\ . 32bit installations should go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ . You can display version information on the command line with:
java -version

java version "1.6.0_14"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

Is it all working correctly now?

drsassafras wrote:

1. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in Mac-
You can see the "Add Profile Edit Profile etc." is not well distinguished. Could these be made into buttons or something so its clear what the options are?

You're right, normal toolbar buttons in OSX look better. Unfortunately, this is what SWT chooses to render for ToolItems, and I'm unable to find any information on how to do better. Anybody that can point me to more information on this subject is kindly requested to do so.

2. When I select a template from within a profile, it does not "stick" I don't think it works.

Oh, it works alright, this functionality is by design. Loading a template will update your current settings to match the one in the template. But since you can change settings right after choosing a certain template, saying that the template is somehow related to the profile might be confusing for the user. So the association is simply not stored and thus cannot be retrieved after re-opening the profile. Why should it?

3. Could IPX support be made better?

I'll consider your suggestions, no high priority for the moment though.

It would be nice if there was some sort of help for using DBGL. Often I find some of the options cryptic, not knowing if or when I should be using it, or even what it does for that matter.
Is there a way to give "hints" when the most hovers over this or that?
If there was a text file where I could fill stuff out and submit, I would be happy to. Or maybe I could do it some other way if it was not too hard. I have a background in programming, but don't have time to muck with too much stuff.

While you're suggestion would certainly benefit DBGL's user-friendlyness, you're also hitting the nail on its head with your final remark. This would take a large amount of time, for all different languages/translators. It is my personal opinion that its simply not worth it. DBGL users should have some basic DOSBox knowledge and should be familiar with DOSBox's Readme and configuration options by reading dosbox.conf. Browsing through this teeny-tiny thread might help as well 🙄

I really like the new MobyGames support. I did notice this though: when searching for "Dungeon Keeper" it found 3 results, none of them the one I wanted, which was Dungeon Keeper Gold.

Gold is only registered at Moby for the "Windows" platform (incorrectly), that's why DBGL didn't found it. If you want, you can additionally allow the "Windows" and "Windows 3.xx" platforms in the Settings dialog, MobyGames tab. That will produce more search-results for single-profile editing, but might negatively impact multi-profile updating because of the reduced amount of filtering. BTW, when zero results are retrieved, DBGL tries again without platform filtering (try 'Zelda')!

I also noticed that instead of replacing the Notes, it add onto the bottom of them. I had previously selected a wrong version of the game, and the Notes compiled when I was trying to select the right one.

Right, the description is added to the existing notes. I don't understand what you mean with your last sentence?

I know its a fairly natural thing to suggest, but could the Moby screenshots & Cover art be integrated as well?

It could.

Reply 536 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While, I can't seem to figure out how to get the templates working. I now have games that no loner work. It does not work just "setting" them back to the right template. I also don't see the settings changing according to the template I choose. When I enter the config file, memory is set to 1. Even though it shows 32 in DBGL. When I change the config file manually, it effects the game, but not the DBGL interface.

Selecting the profile (or something) also deleted options that should not be in there, such as mount points. I had to write them all in again.

If this is all regular behavior, a warning message before clicking the button of applying the setting might be in order. Even still, if I could figure out how to change options back, a warning that setting are being changed would be nice, as you can't just set it back. It looks to me as though is an option, not a way to change other options (but I know this is not the case as you have said so) It would be nice if this was clear when mucking with it.

Is any of what I am saying intelligible?

Reply 537 of 1970, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice! Only a note.. When I use "image only" for GUI icons, and I set to add MobyGames sheet summary among the links, in the "edit profile" window the fields on the left are very long, those on the right become almost unreadable. It doesn't happen with both text and images. I unchecked that MobyGames option to avoid this(I actually prefer without it anyway), just to point it out. Good job!!

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 538 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get it now. The "Reload Settings" changes the settings of the profile that is selected. Oah I see.

Perhaps "Apply Settings" or "Apply Template Settings" Would be a better phrase than "Reload Settings". I would also suggest a dialoug box warning that custom settings will be deleted. Can you take mount points out of the deal, so CD rom drives and such are not deleted when applying the template? Perhaps If a setting is selected, and then the "Reload Setting" Button is not clicked, there could be a warning saying the setting had not been applied, do you want to continue? It might be just my thick head, but I didn't connect the fact that reload setting had to be clicked.

Reply 539 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some screenshots of what DBGL looks like in OSX with descriptions & screenshots. Its a further detail to Code120's Comment.

Attachments

• DSBL1.jpg
    Filename
    DSBL1.jpg
    File size
    89.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    DSBL2.jpg
    File size