VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the idea of the hover hints. I have been reviewing the dosbox config file, and it should be possible to take all the hints out of the config file. All the descriptions follow a specific algorithm. This would also mean that any language Dosbox Supports would be automatically supported by DBGL.

I would be happy to code specific parts of it. I don't think I could bring it all together though.

1. Algorithm to Pull out all the comments and place them with there appropriate categories.
2. Each option in the DBGL would need a peace of code to check if an option existed & then display it if it did.
3. Config files would need to be synced according to language selection. Right now if you change the language to something other than English, when you hit the "Edit Configuration file using external editor" the config file shows up as English. I can see the problem with switching the config file when the language changes. You loose the original Config. Could you think about this and get back to me with an optimal solution?

I will start working on it but need your help in getting it done. Will you help me?

Reply 541 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it would be a little too fragile to implement tooltips this way, drsassafras. All kind of issues come to mind; how to support multiple DOSBox versions? What if the dosbox.conf file is manually altered? What other changes will the DOSBox devs have in store for the configuration file in the future? That being said, still, your original idea is valid; DBGL should explain its/DOSBox' settings more clearly. So...

A new build (0.65d) is ready - unless serious bugs pop up, the last one before the next release:

* Implemented tooltips for all DOSBox settings. Descriptions were more or less taken straight from dosbox.conf (drsassafras)
* Worked around incorrect SWT behavior where text fields in the profile editing screen could become very small, depending on the text in other fields (code120)
* Some user interface improvements specifically for OSX; improved button widths and a workaround for the incorrectly centered column images (as shown in the screenshots from drsassafras)

All the latest files

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 542 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think its great that you implemented the tooltips, unfortunately, they don't appear on my system. I tried everything I could do to make them appear, but no luck.

I am also attaching new pics of the screen spacing. It does look better than it did before. Thanks for that. I do have 3 suggestions on how to optimize space further:

Could the dead space be removed under the link section? this would give the description more room to fill. Could the menu disappear in a way that could be used up by text (like it does in the profiles columns box)? Can the profile columns box only expand to the maximum space they are allotted, so the description will take the room up instead of it being used for empty column space?

Attachments

• Filename
    DSBLLarge.jpg
    File size
    191.93 KiB
    Downloads
    303 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSBLSmall.jpg
    Filename
    DSBLSmall.jpg
    File size
    99.49 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 543 of 1970, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another little side-note, not so important.. I think the "run" button is not very useful, since double-click is much faster. It would be nice, imo, to have in its place the "adjust settings" button, if it's possible. Also an option in the GUI settings for the icons dimension would be nice. The rest works very well for me. I could add the translation for tooltips as well, if you'd like it. Bye!

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 544 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

drsassafras, you should see the tooltips after hovering over an input field and keeping the mouse steady for a sec., as shown in the screenshot below.

As for the spacing/layout: DBGL stores visible columns, column widths, column names, column order, screenshot heights, window sizes and the sashbar location in the middle of the main screen, so I don't really see the problem here. I've removed the dead space under the links for it to be used by the notes box, like you suggested.

Attachments

• Filename
    Picture 2.png
    File size
    366.31 KiB
    Downloads
    313 downloads
    File comment
    A tooltip on OSX (carbon)
    File license

Reply 547 of 1970, by RetroFAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another big thank you...
I only want to say that i also vote for the direct download of images from MobyGames, and speaking about it... if "Genre" field has two values or more, only the first one if kept!

Reply 548 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point, apparently SWT doesn't use the CFBundleName from plist.info (strangely). Maybe someone with a better understanding of Mac program bundles in combination with SWT could explain the cause. For the moment, I'm using Display.setAppName() instead, which does work.

Reply 549 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Version 0.65e was just uploaded:
* maximized notes box
* fixed application name for OSX
* fixed MobyGames 'Genre' extraction (thanks for reporting, RetroFAN)

Reply 550 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to point out the default spacing on the add/edit box. In both of these cases, the default spacing has cut off the bottom of the options. In the case of the audio configuration, there is no hint that there might be more options.

I also wanted to note that when I try to use the browse button in the export box, it brings me to a menu where I am unable to select a file name to save it as. It looks more like I am trying to open a file than save one.

On a further note, I am unsure if I am able to get the migrate, export and import to work properly. (this may just be me, as you know, I sometimes have a hard time getting things to work)

In the export when it asks me if I want to view it, it opens it up in my html editor. Is it possible for it to open it in my default web browser instead of the default program associated with the file?

When I go to import a profile, I need to select a configuration file (not the file I just exported...?) but I can not jump into the OSX bundled applications with the browser bar. When I do select a file, & hit import, it does not tell me if it did in fact import the settings.

In the Migration profile, it does not matter what directory I select (be it my movies folder or what not) when I hit the migrate button, a box comes up saying "Migration completed successfully.".

I think there might be something up here, but I will not discount the possibility of my not being able to work it 😀

Attachments

Reply 551 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you drsassafras, the default window sizes are slightly enlarged so that everything fits. Also, the save file dialog was fixed.

'Import profile' allows the user to import an existing .conf file. So, you are only allowed to select these files in the 'browse for file' dialog. If you try to import a conf file with invalid contents, you should get an error message. Other files might get ignored, will have to check that.

About the html file association; will be hard to fix I think; currently the SWT Program API is used for that. I tried associating .html files on my Mac to TextEdit, but still I cannot reproduce your problem, it works correctly for me. Suggestions are welcome.

The migration dialog can be used to update existing DBGL profile information with absolute paths to use relative paths instead. So, for example, if you select your '/Users/Me/Documents/Dosgames' as 'From' location, DBGL will update all profiles that are somehow using that directory location to use (a subdirectory under) the dosroot instead (to make it relative).

Reply 552 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An issue with the import profile, is that one is unable to get to profiles with the DBGL mac package. You can not enter the package contents from the browse button. Could you make it so one can select ether a config file or the old DSGL package? It would certainly be easier for mac users.

I tried setting the default to text edit as you did. Text edit displayed the HTML. So, its not really a true text editor. Smultron, a text editor, just displays the code. I know the default file association and the default browser are different beasts. Even still, an button entitled "open enclosing folder" or something like that would help both the issue of the export files being added within the DSBL package contents (hard to access) & for those who have a problem with there script editor opening the HTML files, it would allow them to right click on the file so they can select what app they want to view it in.

Could the migration assistant give a warning if there are no dosbox files to fix? If there are some, perhaps it could how many it patched. I presume it will normally be 1.

Any way to integrate a auto-migrate? It would copy the necessary files over? I am getting pretty good at migrating, but I still forget to drag folders over sometimes. I also never know if something I my overwriting will damage the new install or break something. I always keep a fresh backup copy just in case.

Great job with all this. Glad you are taking it so well. Dev's are not always very kind when bugs or suggestions are given. I think its coming along very well, and at least for OSX, will be much easier for the lot of us to use. It already is.

Reply 553 of 1970, by RetroFAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again, i've noticed that when i sort TITLE column it seems that it is ordered in a case sensitive way... for example "FIFA 97" appears before "Fade to black".

It's a feature or a bug?

Reply 554 of 1970, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a little collection of edited screenshots or cover boxes to use with DBGL, if you like them. They're optimized for 320x200, and even when of higher resolution they have the same ratio so they fit just the same.

Here is some of them, the zip (updated) is here

uw000.png

eric000.png

game00.png

por0.png

00gn.png

Last edited by code120 on 2010-01-10, 08:05. Edited 1 time in total.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 555 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroFAN wrote:

Hi again, i've noticed that when i sort TITLE column it seems that it is ordered in a case sensitive way... for example "FIFA 97" appears before "Fade to black".

It's a feature or a bug?

HSQLDB feature 😉
Fixed, thanks for reporting.

Reply 556 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi code120

They look great. If you submit them to mobygames.com then when they will be viewable to many people. DSBG may support automatically downloading of Screenshots from mobygames.com in the future.

Reply 557 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a feature request. Can the screen shots be draggable so its easier for them to be used? Perhaps a file and edit menu when you open the image, to delete, copy & save as. Better yet, in OSX, when one double clicks on the image, it could open it in Preview. Preview has AWESOME support for saving as different file types, zoom copying specific sections etc.

Reply 558 of 1970, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there. Just wanted to say I love the new features, such as the buttons on top and the ability to import data from MobyGames.

IMHO all DBGL needs now is to expand the "edit multiple profiles" option. Everything else is perfect.

Reply 559 of 1970, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had not realized that selecting multiple profiles was possible. Now that I tried it, "remove" & "duplicate" only seem to get rid of one profile when multiple profiles are selected.