Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 940 of 1968, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't like the "Browse For Folder" tree. I find it cumbersome to locate a folder other than the default dosroot. When mounting an image I have a shortcut in dosroot to quickly navigate to where I want. When selecting a folder to mount the tree doesn't show shortcuts. Is there a way you could improve this?

Reply 941 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, not an awful lot as I'm using a standard SWT widget to display the Directory browser. Would it help if you could override the default selected directory to another fixed location?

Reply 943 of 1968, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Would it help if you could override the default selected directory to another fixed location?

Not really. I can already paste in a different path. Whether under Mount Directory or in the Browse For Folder pop up. The browse button just doesn't seem that useful in this case.

Reply 944 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Hmm, not an awful lot as I'm using a standard SWT widget to display the Directory browser. Would it help if you could override the default selected directory to another fixed location?

This topic seems to come up frequently. It's also gone on over in the Higan/BSNES forums. Really wish a nicer default folder picker was provided. I'd guess, given how frequently it comes up, there are probably various alternate library solutions available.

Reply 945 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had complaints of people who still can't open gamepacks over 2 Gb. under DBGL v0.75. I can't remember the last time I had one of those, I thought the issue was completely gone.

Anyway, the claim they get the "java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file" error message. I asked for more details from the last person who told me and he said he was still running Windows XP.

Reply 946 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

Here's another update, coming in the form of 0.75c (skipped internal test build b).

What's new:
* Implemented data dir redirect in case of set env. variable (dbgl.data.localappdata=true or dbgl.data.userhome=true) or read-only DBGL dir. All DBGL data is written to %LOCALAPPDATA%/DBGL (on Windows) or ~/.dbgl (on Linux and OSX) in that case. Also, if no dosbox version is included in the DBGL folder, then no default dosbox version and templates are generated on first startup. All this should help making a Linux DBGL package somewhat easier, and makes it possible to put DBGL in a read-only folder, such as [c:\program files\dbgl]. Please note that for this to be implemented, I had to make the database folder relative to the data folder (thus no longer relative to the main DBGL folder).
* Added generic linux ant target (without dosbox and templates)
* Implemented showing/hiding screenshots and notes (Neville)
* Improved custom autoexec parsing
* Added loadhigh support
* Workaround attempt no. 3 for problem mentioned by Jurjen Bakker regarding SWT not being able to write its dll files to a specific user directory, by setting swt.library.path to lib folder in case user.home appears to be read-only
* Fixed crashbug when trying to import GamePackArchive containing native commands, but with at least 1 profile without actual native commands (Neville)
* Added (partial) Polish translation from Abrio, Italian translation update from code120
* Updated SWT to 4.2.2

All the latest files
To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Last edited by rcblanke on 2013-05-28, 14:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 947 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

I've had complaints of people who still can't open gamepacks over 2 Gb ... they claim they get the "java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file" error message.

Most likely, this is caused by using an outdated Java Runtime. I believe, ZIP64 support was added to Java in version 7, which is probably needed for archives of that size. Please let me know if you get confirmation that this is indeed the cause, so I can put that info up on the website.

Last edited by rcblanke on 2013-05-28, 14:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 948 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

Really wish a nicer default folder picker was provided. I'd guess, given how frequently it comes up, there are probably various alternate library solutions available.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Reply 950 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a small request... Just noticed that in the tiles view the game names are shortened in the middle, and the effect is a bit weird. Can you shorten them from the end instead? For example:

Game: Bubble Bobble featuring Rainbow Islands

Now: Bubble Bobbl...nbow Islands

Desired: Bubble Bobble feat...

Reply 951 of 1968, by Raynorni

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At risk as coming across as an idiot... I've tried(unsuccessfully) to display screenshots in this and it just doesn't seem to want to...

Other than that this is 100% perfect.. anybody offer any help?

Reply 954 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They grey bar area is where the screenshots should appear.

Have you associated your game profiles with screenshots, or were you expecting shots to automatically be imported? As far as I'm aware, currently the automated screenshot imports from Moby games need to be selected from manually in each game profile.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 956 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought you meant you couldn't use the new "tiles" view. Anyway, the screenshots thing is even easier.

If you imported game packages from DBGL's website, the screenshots should appear at the bottom of the screen.

If you created the game profiles yourself, you need to take the screenshots during gameplay, by pressing CTRL+F5. You can change those settings with DOSBox' keyboard mapper, which appears by pressing CTRL+F1.

The tiles view uses the first screenshot taken for every game.

Reply 958 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

..And here's another small update, test build 0.75d with:
* A change to truncate a profile's title at the end instead of in the middle (in Gallery view mode), per default (a new setting is available to change this behavior, 'tile_title_trunc_pos') (Neville)
* Made web-search results table sortable by clicking on columns (kolano)
* Some minor fixes to prevent empty lines in the [autoexec] section when parsing a custom configuration file

This will most likely be one of the last test versions before the coming release, thus translators can get crackin'.

All the latest files
To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 959 of 1968, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello!

While I generally don't use frontends, I find your project very appealing, especially for the bundled games feature, which IMO must be helping a lot to bring DOS games to a wider audience (taking into account that not everyone is willing to mess around with DOSBox settings on their own).

Anyway, I'd like to throw in a couple of suggestions regarding free - or rather, liberated - DOS games.

First off, as you probably know,recently the full version of Amulets & Armor has been released. It is my understanding that one requires a permission from the team to host and distribute the classic version, but if they give the permission I think it'd be an awesome addition (even though the shareware version is already included in one of the bundles).

A seemingly much less known game is Legend of the Silver Talisman, the full version of which is available from the developer's website.

Battles of Destiny is a sci-fi turn-based strategy from Holistic Design, which had also been released as a free download (maybe you need to ask permission to host this one too, I'm not sure what the license says).

One of the bundles includes Sango Fighter, and there is yet another, somewhat related game the rights to which had been also obtained by the Super Fighter Team, namely Super Fighter, which is also free.