Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 921 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd still like to re-phrase a couple of things, but otherwise you can consider this Spanish translation as complete and up to date.

Attachments

• Filename
    Spanish for v0.74e.rar
    File size
    10.76 KiB
    Downloads
    179 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 922 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few other feature requests, it would be nice if...
- The multi-profile edit could allow shared mounts between profiles to be edited and/or a list of mounts across the profiles to be displayed/edited/deployed across profiles.

- Config options could be added as columns in the launcher or a display mode providing a tabular view of profile options was provided.

- Custom config options >4 could be used in filters. (A full list of the available DB columns would be nice too, the existing docs on the DBGL homepage are a bit sparse, though I think a list was provided previously, perhaps somewhere back in this thread)

- Custom config options >4 provided dropdown lists for selection.

- CD+Mp3/CD+Ogg images were supported. DOSBox supports these but DBGL provides a warning and doesn't read them...
"Couldn't read contents of archive
"<archive name>"

Technical Details:
Couldn't find volume descriptor, the cd-image doesn't seem to be in ISO9660 file format."
...an easy workaround might be to just strip the audio sections from the .cue's.

- Filter tabs could be re-arranged.

- Some ability to swap in different 3dfx emulation layers was provided. The current DOSBox emulated 3dfx is rather slow so for actual gameplay other glide emulators are needed, but different ones/options are needed for different games. This would more or less just need to be a set of additional folders that could be selected amongst and included into the dosroot.

- Options to query Windows 3.1 games against Moby were provided. I have a few Windows 3.1 titles I use DOSBox for. Sometimes I do see other platforms in results, but I'm not sure why/when and I think Windows titles are excluded.

- CD directory reads were cached (at least within an instance of the profile editor). There are instances where I'll need to reference both an main exe and a setup exe from a disc, which can be slow for some bin/cue images which need the full disc read to display disc contents. Also helpful for those "oops I clicked the wrong file" moments.

- Canceling a query against reference (i.e. Moby Games) and then quickly re-consulting the reference sometimes hangs up the Add Profile window.

Reply 923 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

DBGL 0.75 is released and available on the website!

The only changes from the latest test build is the inclusion of a fix for kolano's report (CD+Mp3/CD+Ogg images: DBGL provides a warning and doesn't read them..."Couldn't read contents of archive" <archive name>"), and some minor translation corrections. The Spanish and Chinese translations are also updated.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 924 of 1968, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just updated Korean translation against the dbgl 0.75.
Here is the .utf8 version. It needs to be converted to .properties as they are outside of ascii.

Attachments

• Filename
    MessagesBundle_ko.7z
    File size
    13.4 KiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File license

Reply 925 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

- Some ability to swap in different 3dfx emulation layers was provided. The current DOSBox emulated 3dfx is rather slow so for actual gameplay other glide emulators are needed, but different ones/options are needed for different games. This would more or less just need to be a set of additional folders that could be selected amongst and included into the dosroot.

I was able to get such working with existing functionality via adding a 3dfx_emu folder /w subfolders for nGlide, OpenGlide, etc., the following batch file...
del ..\dosroot\*glide*.*
del ..\dosroot\*3dfx*.*
del ..\dosroot\*voodoo*.*
copy %1\* ..\dosroot
...and the "Native to the OS" command functionality. Though something weird happens where the copy sometimes fails and things need to be called twice to update things appropriately. I think it's that OpenGlide's glide.ini file may be left in use or otherwise undeletable until it's related DLL is gone.

Reply 927 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to be able to use Asian glyphs in folder names, but they seem to get lost. for example "Vanslug X Mission (반슬러그 X 미션)" becomes "Vanslug X Mission (???? X ??)". Perhaps this was some vain hope I had of widespread unicode support.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 929 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are lost after I hit OK on the profile screen. Prior to that the characters appear correctly in all the dialogs, but after pressing OK and viewing them in the profile table or re-opening the profile all the Asian glyphs are replaced with question marks.

I'm also seeing an issue with how boot disks are handled if they match a mounted floppy. You seem to be making improper replacements of the booter path if it matches a mount path. For instance, if you mount multiple floppies on A, and set one of them as the booter image. The booter path seems to get replaced with itself, so you go from...
V:\DOS\1.ima
...to...
V:\DOS\1.ima\1.ima
...which won't work. I guess I should probably just not mount the boot disk, but I guess the odd replacement would be an issue.

Are the multiple rows in the booter config for multi-disk booters? It might be nicer if that was handled more like the multi-disc/floppy-image support was. Trying to work that out was what had me mounting a boot floppy.

One other request, it would be nice if the results lists for multi-results from Moby etc were sortable (i.e. by year/platform/title). My current worse case example for this would be "Plasma" against Pouet.

Last edited by kolano on 2013-02-07, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 930 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After updating to the latest DBGL and Ykhwong's SVN, I'm having some issues with the 3Dfx games. They only work if I set "Glide" to "emu", and then they appear slow and glitchy.

What am I doing wrong? I wanted to use Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper instead of OpenGLide, so I did the usual movements:

1) Installing said wrapper.

2) Copying Glide2x.dll from the Windows folder to the Ykhwong's SVN folder.

3) Copying glide2x.ovl from Ykhwong's SVN folder to DOSROOT.

Reply 931 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen similar issues. Best I can work out it happens when...
-The game uses internal calls to 3dfx outside of Glide APIs.
-The game packages glide.dll files, which override the copies from \dosroot

You can resolve games that package glide.dll's by just deleting/renaming them, but I don't think there's anything that can be done about games with internal 3dfx calls.

I think you may need to copy the DLLs into \dosroot too.

Reply 932 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing a bug.

-Set up custom names for Custom1-6
-Added a profile, confirmed Custom fields are in place
-Reopened Settings dialog, and the names of fields are returned to Custom1-6.

Resolves itself with a restart, but you might want to look into it.

Also, a few more feature requests...
I've twice lost sets of profiles due to them being stored on boot disks that have failed, it's a major set back with hundreds of profiles. Would it be possible to set up a "custom" profiles location, so I could store them in an alternate location less likely to be lost? I realize the "store in game folder" option is available. I guess beyond that I'd want to be able to store the DB itself in a custom location.

It would be nice if Templates could be:
-Duplicated
-Multi-edited
-Only effected a sub-set of options (i.e. only ones touched within their setups, so a template could apply settings for a GUS, but leave settings for video alone)

Regarding booters, it would be nice if they were handled just like floppies, and their "booter" status flagged with a checkbox or something rather than two seperate UIs.

Reply 933 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

I've just updated Korean translation against the dbgl 0.75.

Thanks again for your work, Tae-woong! And thanks to Max Buttjer for an updated French translation!

kolano wrote:
Seeing a bug. -Set up custom names for Custom1-6 -Added a profile, confirmed Custom fields are in place -Reopened Settings dialo […]
Show full quote

Seeing a bug.
-Set up custom names for Custom1-6
-Added a profile, confirmed Custom fields are in place
-Reopened Settings dialog, and the names of fields are returned to Custom1-6.

Thanks for the report, it's fixed now.

kolano wrote:

I've twice lost sets of profiles due to them being stored on boot disks that have failed, it's a major set back with hundreds of profiles. Would it be possible to set up a "custom" profiles location, so I could store them in an alternate location less likely to be lost? I realize the "store in game folder" option is available. I guess beyond that I'd want to be able to store the DB itself in a custom location.

Can't you simply File->export the profiles that you want to keep-safe?

I'll consider all other suggestions, thanks.

Here's another test build for your pleasure, 0.75a:

* Implemented 'Gallery View' (see attachments); instead of using a table to browse through one's profiles, it is now also possible to display the profiles as icons of 3 different sizes (small, medium, large). This was implemented using the Nebula Gallery SWT Widget which allows for nice custom styling and relatively speedy performance. The website mentions 'Tree and Table based API : Gallery is a drop-in replacement of Table and Tree'. Well, drop-in replacement.. not exactly, but useful nonetheless 😁. The Gallery widget supports multi-select, and should thus behave mostly the same as the regular 'Table View'. Hovering over a profile-icon will display the extra information about the profile that is normally shown in the table columns. One feature that appears to be missing in the (beta) Gallery, unfortunately, is jumping to a profile by entering the first letter(s) of a profile. Let's hope the Nebula developers will implement that sometime, or maybe that I can add it myself.
NOTE1: This new functionality required quite some code changes, and may very well introduce new issues. As always, please let me know when you find one/some.
NOTE2: You will need the new jar file if you want to upgrade an existing DBGL installation, see below!
* Implemented a workaround for a DBGL startup problem mentioned by Jurjen Bakker regarding SWT not being able to write its dll files to a specific directory below user.home, by redirecting that location to java.library.path (DBGL's lib directory), instead
* Improved icon caching a littlebit
* Fixed a regression changing custom column names, see above (kolano)
* French translation update from Max Buttjer
* Korean translation update from ykhwong

All the latest files

To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual plus the new Gallery library in the lib directory: gallery-0.5.3.jar.

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Gallery_Compact.png
    Filename
    Gallery_Compact.png
    File size
    197.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gallery with smaller icons
    File license
  • Filename
    Gallery_Large.png
    File size
    586.15 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File comment
    Gallery with large icons
    File license

Reply 934 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tiles seem to skew the aspect ratio of images, which isn't too nice. It looks OK with screenshots as in your example, but gets odd with box cover images. Sticking with table view for now.

And yes, the import/export options seem to do what I want. Thanks.

Reply 935 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

Tiles seem to skew the aspect ratio of images

You can prevent that by setting

[gui]
screenshotscolumnkeepaspectratio=true

in settings.config, which will crop the images instead (if necessary). It is also possible to alter the dimension of the tiles:

small_tile_width=100
small_tile_height=82
medium_tile_width=132
medium_tile_height=102
large_tile_width=164
large_tile_height=122

Where width=imagewidth+4 and height=imageheight+22. However, I agree that having many different dimensions of tiles can be rather troublesome to display nicely.

Reply 937 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice 😀 by the way I had some problems in upgrading. If I chose the gallery view, the list was blank. I had to export my profiles, delete the old db dir and import them again, then it worked. I still have the old db dir if you want to check what was wrong with it. I think it has to do with filters.

Is there a way to keep the top bar (sort by name/developer etc) even in the gallery view?

I sent the updated 0.75 italian translation via pm.

Thanks

Reply 938 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

Also, with the new tiles presentation, I wonder if you'd consider an option to hide the description and screenshots tabs. 😊

I will 😀

code120 wrote:

...If I chose the gallery view, the list was blank. I had to export my profiles, delete the old db dir and import them again, then it worked. I still have the old db dir if you want to check what was wrong with it. I think it has to do with filters.

Odd thing.. well, if you think I might be able to reproduce your problem with your original data, I surely would like to analyze it.

code120 wrote:

Is there a way to keep the top bar (sort by name/developer etc) even in the gallery view?

As that column bar is part of the SWT Table view, I'm afraid that's impossible. Just realize that whatever sort order you've chosen in Table view mode, is also used in the Gallery view.

code120 wrote:

I sent the updated 0.75 italian translation via pm.

Great stuff, thank you!

Reply 939 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

...I'd like to be able to use Asian glyphs in folder names...

That would not be possible, as DOSBox does not support .conf files being encoded in anything other than ASCII. Since DBGL stores this kind of profile information in a .conf, it cannot use any characters outside ASCII. Most of these restrictions are probably due to underlying DOS restrictions, of which I do not know much about, unfortunately. Maybe someone else can provide more background knowledge on this matter.