Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 1962, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see much point in storing the conf file anywhere but in either the game's folder or in a data base of all games. I would not mind if it stored one in both, but would want any shortcuts the frontend creates to use the one in game's folder. It might be nice if the GUI could scan a game's folder for an existing conf file when setting up a new profile, even if the user had to manually select it. This would simplify setting up all the games that I have already manually created conf files and shortcuts for. It could come in handy with new versions of DOSBox when the dosbox.conf changes.

Also, I have a large store of game icons, so it would be nice if you could specify an icon cache that the frontend would default to when selecting an icon for the shortcuts.

Reply 81 of 1962, by MaReaDo^

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

congratulations for dbgl
i really like it

i have one suggestion:
you should add the posibility to select more than one profile and modified the options(mount no) of them
for example, selecto two or more profiles, and edit this, reload settings of all, etc

i hope u can understand me

sorry for my bad english

Reply 82 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaReaDo^ wrote:
congratulations for dbgl i really like it […]
Show full quote

congratulations for dbgl
i really like it

i have one suggestion:
you should add the posibility to select more than one profile and modified the options(mount no) of them
for example, selecto two or more profiles, and edit this, reload settings of all, etc

Hi there, and thanks! Your suggestion might be an interesting feature indeed. Unfortunately, it is also quite difficult to implement correctly, and probably even more difficult to provide an interface to the user so that he/she nows what exactly is being changed to the existing profiles.
Anywayz, I'll put it on my 'Future work' list, we'll see...

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 83 of 1962, by Pix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a solution for Linux already?
I can't get it to run! I've installed all possible SWT packages which would make sense.
What packages / configuration do I need on a Ubuntu/Debian system?

I keep getting this error:

java -jar dbgl.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/graphics/Device

Sucks a lot 🙁

Thanks for help!
Greets,
Michael

Reply 84 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pix wrote:
Is there a solution for Linux already? I can't get it to run! I've installed all possible SWT packages which would make sense. W […]
Show full quote

Is there a solution for Linux already?
I can't get it to run! I've installed all possible SWT packages which would make sense.
What packages / configuration do I need on a Ubuntu/Debian system?

I keep getting this error:

java -jar dbgl.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/graphics/Device

Sucks a lot 🙁

Thanks for help!
Greets,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Amazing, Linux usage feedback, pity it's not very positive though 🙄
Sucks indeed, should be running quite well by now.. Just tried it on Edgy Eft, runs DBGL without a single update. What DBGL version are you trying to run, and what Ubuntu release (Badger, Drake, Edgy Eft) do you have? DBGL shouldn't need any extra libraries (apart from Java1.5 that is), everything is included in dbgl041.tar.gz ?! Is that all the stacktrace information you're getting?

Regards,
Ronald

EDIT:
Wait-a-minute, the way you're starting DBGL is not correct, it should be:
java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

You can also execute the shell script 'dbgl'

Reply 86 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atracious wrote:

So i downloaded Dbgl and when i try to run it it gives me an error that it cannot find the right class, any ideas?

You could start giving us some more info to go on atracious; what DBGL version are you trying to run, how do you try to start it, what OS are you on, what Java version? Also, the exact stacktrace output might help somewhat, try running 'dbglcons.bat > out.txt' or something similar.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 87 of 1962, by atracious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
You could start giving us some more info to go on atracious; what DBGL version are you trying to run, how do you try to start it […]
Show full quote
atracious wrote:

So i downloaded Dbgl and when i try to run it it gives me an error that it cannot find the right class, any ideas?

You could start giving us some more info to go on atracious; what DBGL version are you trying to run, how do you try to start it, what OS are you on, what Java version? Also, the exact stacktrace output might help somewhat, try running 'dbglcons.bat > out.txt' or something similar.

Regards,
Ronald

I'm using the latest version, i'm trying to run the .jar file, XP is my operating system, java version 5 and i have no idea what the rest even means.

Attachments

• The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.

Reply 88 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running (double-clicking) dbgl.bat (if you have extensions hidden, choose the file dbgl with type 'MS-DOS Batch File')? If not, do so, or try dbglcons.bat

Reply 91 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello again everybody,

v0.50 is available with quite a large amount of changes this time. Among others a database change; Therefore, please backup your entire DBGL directory if you're upgrading! In case you're using the new jar with an existing profile database, that database will be updated automatically on the first run.

What's in there:
* Implemented the option to store a profile's configuration file in the game directory (collector). Also, conf files can be named after the profile title instead of the profile ID (Gadler). You can find the options in the 'Settings' dialog.
* Updated internal DOSBox CVS build to nov. 1st, Windows only for the moment.
* Major work on the D-Fend profile importing code; Created a new dialog to set options and made sure that any possible import problems are correctly manifested to the user.
* Added the possibility to import an existing .conf file using the File menu or via SendTo on Windows systems (collector).
* Rewrote exception handling code so that file I/O problems are handled more gracefully.
* Debugged storing a desktop shortcut with invalid characters in the profile's title.
* Fixed silly column-titles inside 'Templates' and 'DOSBox versions' tabs.
* A small fix to make sure screenshots are not kept locked on DBGL exit.

The 'coming features'-list on the website is updated as well.

Kindest regards,
Ronald

Reply 92 of 1962, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the update.

I haven't had a chance to try the newer version yet, but just a quick note to say that I've been using the previous version for a few weeks now, and it's been working well.

DBGL has just allowed that extra level of convenience - only one single shortcut on the Windows desktop now needed, and yet I can run Arena, Daggerfall, Pinball Dreams 2, etc.. or the other 90% of my "non-fussy" DOS games (via the old DOS Quickmenu 3 system).

And so I don't have any current improvement suggestions, since it already does everything I personally need.

So thanks again for your efforts, from someone whose happy with the program. (and DOSBox 0.65 of course!)

Reply 93 of 1962, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx from me too, haven't had time to use this lately as studies are keeping me from gaming much, but am looking forward to using a then much more advanced version than i have been using in the past 😉

Reply 95 of 1962, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Ronald, I have not been a big fan of DOSBos frontends (well, frontents in general). I am an old, cranky fella that likes the command line, okay? 😀 But I have been watching you! And if I ever is going down the route of frontends, I think DBGL will be my poison. It is open, it is cross-platform, and generally looks good. It is the first frontend that I have seen that is able to import profiles from one of the competitors - nice!

PS: You DOSBox CVS builds are now listed on the CVS builds page here at VOGONS.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 97 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello again MeReaDo^,

Did you install Java 1.5? If not, just browse to http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp and install the Java Runtime Environment!

Reply 98 of 1962, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ronald,

Maybe your BAT-file could check for the required Java version?

I don't know yet how it should be programmed in the BAT-file, but as the example below shows, it is possible to check for specific version of the JRE being installed.

H:\Documents and Settings\MiniMax
H:> java -version:1.4 -version
java version "1.4.1_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_07-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_07-b02, mixed mode)

H:> java -version:1.5 -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

H:> java -version:1.6 -version
Unable to locate JRE meeting specification "1.6"

Let me give it a shot... I will download your frontend, and start experimenting.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2006-11-11, 16:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 99 of 1962, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ronald, you need better error handling.

Instead of adding my 5-6 different DOSBox versions to the database from DBGL, I tried editing the database.script directly. Unfortunately I missed a constrained value, so when I tried to launch DBGL nothing happended.

H:> javaw -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

No error message no - no nothing.

I then started it using the non-windowed version of Java, and that revealed the database problem:

H:> java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar
startup
JDBC Connection could not be established!!

java.sql.SQLException: error in script file line: 25 org.hsqldb.HsqlException: Violation of unique c
onstraint $$: duplicate value(s) for column(s) $$: SYS_PK_55
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.db.Database.init(Database.java:132)
at com.db.Database.<init>(Database.java:81)
at com.db.Database.<init>(Database.java:80)
at com.db.Database$DatabaseHolder.<clinit>(Database.java:85)
at com.db.Database.getInstance(Database.java:89)
at com.gui.MainWindow.open(MainWindow.java:103)
at com.gui.MainWindow.main(MainWindow.java:92)