Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1180 of 1958, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

@Monotremata; although I didn't test DBGL on that many OSX machines, I have never experienced any issues like you describe, and I didn't receive any such reports from other users. But I think you should be able to resolve the problem easily, maybe try the information provided here or here.

Yeah the solutions on those pages are exactly how I got it to run in the first place (see the first edit I made to the post).. The problem with that is, the JAVA_HOME variable isnt set until you run a shell. You wont be able to double click on the DBGL app and have it run from the Finder, it only runs from the command line with the 'open -a' command.. Anything launched from the Finder, is going to use the Apple Java 1.6. After making the post and doing some digging around Oracle's documentation, Oracle themselves state the only way to actually change the value for the system's JAVA_HOME is by installing the full JDK, the JRE wont do it, so I did that and now DBGL is working again.. Im not sure if I downloaded the wrong version of the JRE or what, but the two times I installed the 1.8 one, all it ever installed for me was the browser plugin, so /usr/libexec/java_home doesnt see it installed. Oddly enough, the Java control panel app that gets installed with the JRE only sees the JRE you just installed as well and has no clue 1.6 is even there.

Im hoping other Mac OS X users will run across this and chime in and let me know if its just my system acting funny or not..

Reply 1181 of 1958, by rotaxt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I need your help please - i didn't use DBGL for a couple of months now. My last version was 0.78 and everything worked perfectly. If i start this version now and try to add a new game with the wizard no cover art and screenshots will be imported anymore. Java is up to date. So i installed DBGL 0.80 fresh and marked the "choose cover art and screenshots" in the settings as usual but still nothing will be downloaded when adding a game. Did i forget something or is something new in 0.80? How can i enable screenshots and cover art again?

Reply 1182 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for your explanation Monotremata, I'll check for more information about this issue and will let you know about the progress.

Rotaxt, If I remember correctly there has never been support for covert art and screenshot downloading in the Game Wizard, only when editing (a) profile(s).

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 1183 of 1958, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying to get DBGL to use DOSBox-X, a new DOSBox binary which aims for more realistic sound emulation, but DBGL hangs whenever I launch it.

Already tried renaming executable to DOSBOX.EXE and checking the box for "versions with debug" but no success yet.

Can anyone try to reproduce this behaviour? It may be me after all.

Reply 1184 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Neville,

Just checked with the windows binary here; I'm not having issues other than - like you said - having to rename the executable to dosbox.exe first, and manually having to create a dosbox.conf (config -writeconf dosbox.conf).

Reply 1186 of 1958, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

I did reproduce that behaviour without dbgl, it says "access denied" with all emucr builds, left a message @ emucr with no replies.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 1187 of 1958, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lightmaster wrote:
Neville wrote:

I did reproduce that behaviour without dbgl, it says "access denied" with all emucr builds, left a message @ emucr with no replies.

Historically EmuCr builds are crap, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Recommend long-term you go elsewhere or learn to do it yourself. Maybe someday EmuCr can be trusted long-term.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1188 of 1958, by jm2k7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, I know I'm asking a lot.

but, is there any way to run DBGL without having installed "java runtime"

for example "minecraft" has within its files a "runtime java" folder makes instance from the game executable, without having the "runtime java" installed.

It would be good, because no need to install "java runtime", as if not depend on a Java installation, it feels like an executable program that does not depend on an addition to the operating system.

Reply 1189 of 1958, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are worried about the security issues of Java you could install it and then disable the browser plugin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 1190 of 1958, by jm2k7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

If you are worried about the security issues of Java you could install it and then disable the browser plugin.

I use chrome not want to brag about the browser, ignore the browser, I just want to know if there is a possibility in the future to do something to not install java each time you want to use DBGL. 😊

well, no problem. It's just a personal suggestion, since I see that minecraft if you do.

I think I will stop playing minecraft, I'll go crazy..... 🤣

Reply 1191 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe take a look at http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable .. Please don't expect any support for using this in combination with DBGL from me, though.

Reply 1192 of 1958, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is going to sound a little paranoid... anyway, I stopped reporting DBGL freezes a while ago, because nobody else seemed to be experiencing them, but today I found something interesting. I've been trying several free antiviruses for my PC during the last week, and something weird happened when I tried Avira: no crashes at all! And then I've switched back to AVG Free (too many false positives with Avira) and the crashes have returned.

The crashes use to appear after I've renamed / deleted a number of screenshots in a certain profile. Can anyone reproduce them?

Reply 1193 of 1958, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AVG can drag a system to its knees. If you have performance issues and AVG is installed, chances are that it is the AVG.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 1195 of 1958, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AVG: For people who don't want to pay Norton to have their system rendered useless.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 1196 of 1958, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any free anti-virus that doesn't screw your OS? Just asking. Already tried AVG, Avast! and Avira.

BTW, during last week I managed to send rcblanke an error log and the crashes I was experiencing should be history by next release.

Reply 1197 of 1958, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some would call it blasphemous, but I still think that Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7) / Windows Defender (Windows 8 and newer) and a little bit of common sense are enough protection. I didn't use anything else for many years now and never got a virus or other malware.

Now, "How can you tell if you're only using a crappy "onboard" antivir like that?!", you might ask. Well, every once in a while I additionaly scan my system using the Avira Rescue Disc, an Ubuntu based bootdisk containing the Avira antivir scanner. It never found anything. Neither did the antivir on my NAS, where I store all my data. So yes, I feel pretty safe just using the free, slick and almost no ressources eating MS antivir. I just don't klick on every link or attachment or download any piece of shit software I stumble across and only use well known and trusted sites for downloads of the tools I need and use. If I can't get something there, I don't need it anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1198 of 1958, by Giorgos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) When I was using Win 7 x64, I was more than happy with Panda free. Unfortunately, it has many technical problems with Win 10 x64.
Actually, MS Win Defender is the only antivirus that worked properly for me at Win 10. It's more capable than previous versions and I enabled the hack - setting at registry, (which be default is not available for home users), for activating the PUP lists.
It doesn't needs too much memory and the only disadvantage is that don't updates frequently by itself. You have to manually update it.
Just my personal experience!

2) About DBGL:

The "About" box, shows a lot of information (versions of Java, SWT and HSQL DE), but it doesn't show the version number of the program itself (v.080).
I think the program's version number, needs to be displayed here.

Bye! 😎

For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
Thucydides: Pericles' "Funeral Oration".

Reply 1199 of 1958, by Giorgos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

- implemented desktop shortcut creation for Linux (KDE and Gnome)

Hi! 😀

It doesn't work here (Mint 17.3 x64 KDE v.4.14.13).

giorgos-Τρι 24/05/2016 02:05 μμ~>java -version
java version "1.7.0_101"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.6) (7u101-2.6.6-0ubuntu0.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.95-b01, mixed mode)
giorgos-Τρι 24/05/2016 02:05 μμ~>

It brings me the Warning: "(No such file or directory)".

Bye! 😎
G.

Attachments

• DBGL.png
    Filename
    DBGL.png
    File size
    12.1 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error screenshot.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
Thucydides: Pericles' "Funeral Oration".