DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Neville » 2019-9-24 @ 17:42

rcblanke wrote:@Neville: I guess Dosbox-X should be usable in DBGL, but (many?) of its 'special features' will not be configurable. Apart from the 'machine' setting, what other settings would you like to see in DBGL? Maybe I can add them in.



I've just done a quick test... I've tried adding "pc98" to the machine switches using the "dynamic settings", but couldn't get it to work. Having DOSBox-X boot from the floppy images is easy, I used the PC Booter option in the Mounting section. If anything, DBGL could recognise the extensions used by PC-98 emulators, such as FDD, FDI or D88.
User avatar
Neville
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: 2004-8-09 @ 14:01

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Savoury » 2019-9-25 @ 16:32

Hi Roland, thanks for the response and you are certainly welcome to link to the PPA from the DBGL website. Both DBGL and DOSBox in that PPA are published for Ubuntu Xenial (16.04), Bionic (18.04) and Disco (19.04) at this point, so that should cover a lot of Ubuntu users. Please do let me know if you have any suggestions about the packaging, as and when you have time to check out the PPA yourself.
Savoury
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018-1-15 @ 21:32

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby jaygame1 » 2019-10-07 @ 01:08

I like to have my DOSBox installation boot to a game menu by default. The only problem is if I set my config file, then it messes up my game shortcuts. Is there a way to get the game configs to override the DOSBox autoexec for just the game shortcuts...?
jaygame1
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-8-12 @ 00:52

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Pat86 » 2019-10-21 @ 10:56

I'd like to ask for a feature request: I'm missing an "add" or "Browse" Button to add a path to the Roland-MT32 ROM Directory. It's annoying to copy / paste the path for every new profile. ;)
Pat86
Newbie
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 2019-1-19 @ 13:47

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby pantercat » 2019-10-21 @ 12:40

Hi, I think I found a bug. If I right click on any game in the list and select "open folder", it seems that DBGL tries to open the parent directory of the executable and not the root directory. This could trigger some weird actions. Here are a couple of examples:

Image
The default editor opens with the contents of "dosroot/Ultimate Body Blows (ISO+OGG)/ULTIMATE.cue"

Image
DBGL tries to open "dosroot/Syndicate Plus (CD-ROM, Castellano)/Syndicate Plus.iso/SB16" that doesn't exist, so nothing happens.

I'm using DBGL v0.90 && Debian Testing.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work :)
pantercat
Newbie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 2018-9-06 @ 17:22

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby arobbo » 2019-10-22 @ 21:34

Hi again Ronald - just a "heads up" but when downloading your 64-bit DBGL.JAR zip file either from the DBGL website (e.g., jar090.zip) or from your private update site (e.g., jar091beta3.zip) I *always* get a zip header error when tested using 7-zip. I only found this when over-writing working dbgl.jar files would kybosh my working DBGL setup (in either 64-bit Puppy Linux or Win10 environments). By contrast, updating from your DBGL.zip files and updating all the jar files in the /lib folder gives me a pristine working setup, Cheers :) As I am the only one who seems to be reporting the issue it could be just me - but I report this workaround if anyone else might have similar problems. Here I am using the latest Java 1.8.0_231-b11 in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

@Savoury - thank you very much for your initiative to package DBGL for the Ubuntu repositories! Don't forget that such a resource will also be similarly pwn'ed* by Puppy Linux aficionados such as myself, Cheers

*in the real sense of the term - especially for playing Battle Chess, Chessmaster 3000, National Lampoon's Chess Maniac 5 Billion and 1, Sargon 5, etc etc :)
arobbo
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 2019-5-10 @ 12:29

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Thalassius » 2019-10-25 @ 04:57

Hi! :cool:

Does DBGL supports DPMI?
If so, how exactly?

I wrote a BAT for running "CWSDPMI -P" and then the game and indeed ,runs flawlessly in DOSBox.
Pointing DBGL to the BAT file, just fails. 8-O
User avatar
Thalassius
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2019-10-25 @ 04:40

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby rcblanke » 2019-10-30 @ 09:37

pantercat wrote:Hi, I think I found a bug. If I right click on any game in the list and select "open folder", it seems that DBGL tries to open the parent directory of the executable and not the root directory. This could trigger some weird actions.

Should be fixed in my latest DBGL build.

Neville wrote:I have a question... when DBGL exports games, by defect it exports the folder where the main program is located. This works fine 90% of the time. However, there's the issue of the games which need to be run from a specific folder, such as C:\NASCAR2. In these cases sometimes exporting the game can leave out essential files. ... Thing is, every year or so I backup my entire collection and it becomes a pain in the ass to manually revise every folder... So I have a suggestion that would help me and shouldn't bother anyone else: Could DBGL highlight the folders (in the above screen) wherever a "\" is detected in the path?

Done.

Pat86 wrote:I'd like to ask for a feature request: I'm missing an "add" or "Browse" Button to add a path to the Roland-MT32 ROM Directory. It's annoying to copy / paste the path for every new profile. ;)

Done.

joeuser wrote:Hi all, I was trying to fetch screenshots for a few games, as I figured out the options to show "big boxes". Great memories. For a few games DBGL didn't download anything from MobyGames. I couldnt also spot any functionality how to query these once the game is already added. Re-querying MobyGames updated the meta information only. Am I oversee something?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Once you select the appropriate settings, do you get the images in the profile-editing window extension on the right side, as shown in the following screenshots when you press the button to query MobyGames?
ss4.png
ss5.png


Neville wrote:
rcblanke wrote:@Neville: I guess Dosbox-X should be usable in DBGL, but (many?) of its 'special features' will not be configurable. Apart from the 'machine' setting, what other settings would you like to see in DBGL? Maybe I can add them in.

I've just done a quick test... I've tried adding "pc98" to the machine switches using the "dynamic settings", but couldn't get it to work. Having DOSBox-X boot from the floppy images is easy, I used the PC Booter option in the Mounting section. If anything, DBGL could recognise the extensions used by PC-98 emulators, such as FDD, FDI or D88.

The extensions FDD, FDI and D88 have been added as valid booter extensions. Please make sure you're adding "pc98" to the "machine073" option (the "machine" option applies to DOSBox versions prior to 0.73 which used the old machine settings, which show up in the DBGL dropdown when you associate an old DOSBox version to your profile):
ss3.png


jaygame1 wrote:I like to have my DOSBox installation boot to a game menu by default. The only problem is if I set my config file, then it messes up my game shortcuts. Is there a way to get the game configs to override the DOSBox autoexec for just the game shortcuts...?

Sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about?! Can you explain your issue a bit more, maybe with screenshots?

Thalassius wrote:Does DBGL supports DPMI? If so, how exactly? I wrote a BAT for running "CWSDPMI -P" and then the game and indeed ,runs flawlessly in DOSBox. Pointing DBGL to the BAT file, just fails. 8-O

Strange, that should work just fine. You can try to debug the problem by temporarily un-checking "Exit afterwards" to see what is happening exactly inside the DOSBox window.
By the way, it's probably a lot easier to just select the main game .exe in DBGL's 'Main' field, and add "CWSDPMI -P" as a "Custom command" in the "Before Launch" field, like so:
ss1.png
ss2.png


All the latest files To upgrade from 0.90, just fetch dbgl.jar as usual.

Ronald
User avatar
rcblanke
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: 2005-4-01 @ 09:44
Location: Sethanon

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Neville » 2019-10-30 @ 13:55

...and now DBGL can start PC-98 games. Thank you very much, rcblanke!

Image

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

EDIUT: Forgot about another PC-98 specific extension, HDI for harddrive images. Is it doable?
User avatar
Neville
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: 2004-8-09 @ 14:01

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby mgtroyas » 2019-10-31 @ 11:57

Hello Ronald,

Is there a way to batch import multiple .dbgl.zip files?
User avatar
mgtroyas
Newbie
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 2011-1-21 @ 15:00
Location: Spain

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby pantercat » 2019-10-31 @ 17:42

rcblanke wrote:Should be fixed in my latest DBGL build.


I can confirm it's working here :) Thank you!
pantercat
Newbie
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 2018-9-06 @ 17:22

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Thalassius » 2019-11-06 @ 19:04

rcblanke wrote:Strange, that should work just fine. You can try to debug the problem by temporarily un-checking "Exit afterwards" to see what is happening exactly inside the DOSBox window.
By the way, it's probably a lot easier to just select the main game .exe in DBGL's 'Main' field, and add "CWSDPMI -P" as a "Custom command" in the "Before Launch" field,
Ronald


Indeed, if CWSDPMI is at the same directory, there's no need for explicitly mentioning it!
THANKS Ron!!! :happy:
User avatar
Thalassius
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2019-10-25 @ 04:40

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Casublett » 2019-11-11 @ 03:10

Minor feature requests for this excellent frontend:

1: An option to set a master EXTERNAL base directory (with many sub dirs) to search for various images, .exe and archives. I keep cd/rips/images in a master dir with game specific dirs for access by other emulators & storage for things I haven't processed yet. Having to go through a directory structure for each new profile (I do them frequently) every CD/.exe game added would be much easier starting at my base image directory.

2: A check box near the "main" .exe selection on the "Mounting" tab to bypass the need for an executable. I make 'DOS prompt' profiles (for DOS purposes) but DBGL requires an attached & valid .exe to even save. Currently, I need to fakeout DBGL to get around it by selecting an .exe and then renaming it so it can't load it. It'd be nice to just get to a DOS prompt without the fakeout.

3: An option to set a background image (Like D-Fend Reloaded) to customize the view. All white doesn't look very cozy and after hours of adding or tweaking profiles, my eyes hurt. :)

Hopefully I made sense.

Thanks for this amazing frontend. I use it all the time. Replaced D-Fend Reloaded for me. :)
Casublett
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2007-7-27 @ 02:40

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby rcblanke » 2019-11-20 @ 13:04

Thanks for your positive comments everybody!

Neville wrote:Forgot about another PC-98 specific extension, HDI for harddrive images. Is it doable?

Done.

mgtroyas wrote:Is there a way to batch import multiple .dbgl.zip files?

Well..., now there is! Check out this new build and let me know if you spot any issues.

Casublett wrote:2: A check box near the "main" .exe selection on the "Mounting" tab to bypass the need for an executable. I make 'DOS prompt' profiles (for DOS purposes) but DBGL requires an attached & valid .exe to even save. Currently, I need to fakeout DBGL to get around it by selecting an .exe and then renaming it so it can't load it. It'd be nice to just get to a DOS prompt without the fakeout.

Sorry, that won't be possible for many technical reasons. But you can always just enter a fictitious filename like 'a.exe' in the "main" field, DBGL won't care. Moreover, for this purpose it might be better to create a template (which won't require a main executable) and run that template, or simply to run a configured DBGL 'DosBox version'.

I've also fixed a minor issue related to updating the profiles and templates lists on a DosBox version update.

All the latest files To upgrade from 0.90, just fetch dbgl.jar as usual.

Ronald
User avatar
rcblanke
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: 2005-4-01 @ 09:44
Location: Sethanon

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Neville » 2019-11-20 @ 13:39

Great, thanks!
User avatar
Neville
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1067
Joined: 2004-8-09 @ 14:01

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby Casublett » 2019-11-20 @ 22:25

Casublett wrote:2: A check box near the "main" .exe selection on the "Mounting" tab to bypass the need for an executable. I make 'DOS prompt' profiles (for DOS purposes) but DBGL requires an attached & valid .exe to even save. Currently, I need to fakeout DBGL to get around it by selecting an .exe and then renaming it so it can't load it. It'd be nice to just get to a DOS prompt without the fakeout.

Sorry, that won't be possible for many technical reasons. But you can always just enter a fictitious filename like 'a.exe' in the "main" field, DBGL won't care. Moreover, for this purpose it might be better to create a template (which won't require a main executable) and run that template, or simply to run a configured DBGL 'DosBox version'.

I've also fixed a minor issue related to updating the profiles and templates lists on a DosBox version update.

All the latest files To upgrade from 0.90, just fetch dbgl.jar as usual.

Ronald[/quote]


Thx from me too!
Casublett
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2007-7-27 @ 02:40

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby mgtroyas » 2019-11-23 @ 09:27

rcblanke wrote:
mgtroyas wrote:Is there a way to batch import multiple .dbgl.zip files?

Well..., now there is! Check out this new build and let me know if you spot any issues.


Batch import works as a charm! Showing all the comments at the beginning and letting assign DosBox versions globally without problem.

Another option I think would be useful is allowing to delete the game files from dosroot when deleting a profile. The option could be unselected by default to prevent accidents.

I've been thinking about the panels layout and would like to suggest an idea: allowing to have the screenshots panel on the right side, stacked vertically instead of horizontally, below the information and links. This way the games list would take all the vertical window height and all other panels would be on a sidebar.
User avatar
mgtroyas
Newbie
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 2011-1-21 @ 15:00
Location: Spain

Previous

Return to DOSBox General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests