Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 262 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uploaded the final DBGL v0.60 and a new Starter Edition with 11 free golden oldies! Have fun people!

Regards,
Ronald

Edit: Forgot to thank the testers! Thank you fellows!

Reply 263 of 1968, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem, thanks for creating the program 😀

I have seen one bug with 0.60, although it doesn't really need to be fixed until the next version. If you enter custom fields, they appear to be automatically converted to lower case when you next start the program. So you are ultimately unable to capitalise custom fields in any way.

Reply 264 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pan wrote:

No problem, thanks for creating the program 😀

I have seen one bug with 0.60, although it doesn't really need to be fixed until the next version. If you enter custom fields, they appear to be automatically converted to lower case when you next start the program. So you are ultimately unable to capitalise custom fields in any way.

Really? That's strange, I cannot reproduce this behavior. Can you tell me exactly what it is that you do?

Edit: oh, you mean the values in settings.conf?! Right, have to fix that.

Last edited by rcblanke on 2007-09-23, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 265 of 1968, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hi Ronald,

First of all a question: Does it support the debugger version of dosbox (and extra section in the configfile) ?

Second a problem report:
DBGL isn't totally compatibile with dosbox under linux.
The problem is that the version dialog really wants to use an directory instead of a dosbox executable.
This isn't always the case. for example I have in /usr/local/bin
dosbox61
dosbox63
dosbox0.65
dosbox70

(files not directories).

I found the "offending" code in the dbgl sourcecode and will try to fix it(and send you a patch). However I can't overview currently what kind of impact this will have on other parts. (for example do you store the path of the found version or the actual fullpath to and including the executable? If it is the former then I have to modify more parts and if it is latter then it might easier)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 266 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

Hi Ronald,

First of all a question: Does it support the debugger version of dosbox (and extra section in the configfile) ?

Yep, it should but you have to manually add that in the associated dosbox.conf. New sections cannot be entered in the GUI as of yet.

Qbix wrote:
Second a problem report: DBGL isn't totally compatibile with dosbox under linux. The problem is that the version dialog really w […]
Show full quote

Second a problem report:
DBGL isn't totally compatibile with dosbox under linux.
The problem is that the version dialog really wants to use an directory instead of a dosbox executable.
This isn't always the case. for example I have in /usr/local/bin
dosbox61
dosbox63
dosbox0.65
dosbox70

(files not directories).

I found the "offending" code in the dbgl sourcecode and will try to fix it(and send you a patch). However I can't overview currently what kind of impact this will have on other parts. (for example do you store the path of the found version or the actual fullpath to and including the executable? If it is the former then I have to modify more parts and if it is latter then it might easier)

That will not work. DBGL requires an accessory dosbox.conf to be able to determine the DOSBox version's features such as joystick configuration, svgachipset stuff etc. That is the reason why DBGL asks for a directory instead of just the executable; it requires the executable and a dosbox.conf for version 'information'.

Does this answer your question? Do you think it should be done differently?

Reply 268 of 1968, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dbgl allready supports generating a dosbox.conf if none is present.
so it could (and maybe allready does) store the supported options in the database (at the same place where the diffferent version are stored).

so on the addition of a new version a configfile could be created which will be used to make the database understand which options this version supports. This could pose problems to people who simply install dosbox over the old one. (without notifying dbgl about it)

Unfortunately as allready pointed out by xulchris the create configfile option doesn't work that well under linux, but this is repairable

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 269 of 1968, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to edit multiple profiles. For instance - I have 100 some odd profiles imported that for some reason unticked fullscreen. Now whenever I play a game I have to make sure I edit the profile first.

Reply 270 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that will definitely be implemented, already on my to-do list. Working on a Mac OSX release first, though.. Just be patient or submit a patch.

Reply 271 of 1968, by Devcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks for your fantastic frontend rcblanke 😀

I have a little problem with the profiles under DBGL, i'm using DOSBox 0.72 and DBGL 0.60

1. My dosbox.conf file is:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=640x400
windowresolution=640x400
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=normal,lowest
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=cga
captures=capture
memsize=1

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=245
cycleup=1
cycledown=1

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32
config=65:0

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
Show last 34 lines

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=false
ems=false
umb=false
keyboardlayout=SP

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount C C:\MS-DOS
C:

Example game profile:

[dosbox]
captures=..\captures\23

[sdl]
windowresolution=
fullresolution=

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\MS-DOS"
C:
cd \GAMES\PARATROP
PARATROP.COM
exit

Point 1: Custom resolutions.

As you can see, i'm using a custom resolution of 640x400 but the GUI don't let me choose that resolution, i have to type it manually in the global config file.

Then, in the example game profile, DBGL creates the [sdl] section with the value camps in blank, that is unnecesary i think, but well i can still can play at 640x400.

Any way on getting custom resolutions working on DBGL? Well, they are working, only that they are not showed at the GUI.

Point 2: Mounting.

I created the example game profile using DBGL, but as you can see, i already mounted the C:\MS-DOS directory to the C: drive in the dosbox.conf global file.

The problem is that i don't want to mount anything more for the game profile, i only need DOSBox do the command: GAMES\PARATROP\PARATROP.COM

Well, for every time i edit the game profile, DBGL creates a: mount C "C:\MS-DOS" entry in the [autoexec] section. And DBGL, already added the C: line that is unnecesary too.

It's possible to create a profile without the mounting option?

I think the perfect profile config for the example game would be:

[dosbox]
captures=..\captures\11

[autoexec]
GAMES\PARATROP\PARATROP.COM
EXIT

Inneed, that config is valid, just i can't edit anything with the GUI because it meesed up the config file.

Point 3: Captures folder.

It would be perfect if you can have the option to name each game folder by Title, and not by Id numer.

That's all i think hehe, thanks again.

Reply 272 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Devcon,

Thanks!

1: Just mark your custom resolution as being available: Go to File - Adjust Settings - Dynamic Options and add '640x400' to both fullresolution and windowresolution. Should work fine and gets rid of the nonsense [sdl] section in your game config file.

2: While this 'GAMES\PARATROP\PARATROP.COM' will work for paratrooper, it won't work in general, for all games. Most games require the current working directory to be in the game root. Drive mounting and/or commands to change drive or directory in dosbox.conf are not supported in DBGL, mainly because the [autoexec] section is cumulative, meaning the commands cannot be undone or overridden.
You can, however, put that mounting stuff in a template and use that template as a default. If you would decide to do that, creating a new profile will automatically contain your 'default' mounting location.

3: Yep, but no priority.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 273 of 1968, by PinguTux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys!

I have created a Mac OS X version of DBGL. Download is here: http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/downloads/DB … DOSBox-0.72.dmg.
It is packaged with DOSBox 0.72 and DBGL 0.60 ready-to-run. I could test it only on Intel hardware, but it should run fine on PPC Macs.

I had to fiddle with the java runtime (SWT crashes ...), but it should work stable now. The shell start script is at /DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/dbgl

Screenshot: http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/images/DBGL2.png (Old version 0.57)

Have Fun! 😎

Reply 274 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PinguTux wrote:
Hi Guys! […]
Show full quote

Hi Guys!

I have created a Mac OS X version of DBGL. Download is here: http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/downloads/DB … DOSBox-0.72.dmg.
It is packaged with DOSBox 0.72 and DBGL 0.60 ready-to-run. I could test it only on Intel hardware, but it should run fine on PPC Macs.

I had to fiddle with the java runtime (SWT crashes ...), but it should work stable now. The shell start script is at /DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/dbgl

Screenshot: http://www.familie-kirchhofer.de/images/DBGL2.png (Old version 0.57)

Have Fun! 😎

Awesome! That's some pretty nice magic in your first post, PinguTux!

I've tested your dmg on both a PPC and Intel machine and it seems to run fine. Did you use the SWT guide to create the package? You did use -XstartOnFirstThread in the startup script, right?

Is it ok with you if I'd put your build live on the DBGL website?

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 275 of 1968, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Yeah, that will definitely be implemented, already on my to-do list. Working on a Mac OSX release first, though.. Just be patient or submit a patch.

No rush guy, just a friendly suggestion. 😀 If I knew enough I'd create my own front end too, but unfortunately I can't.

Reply 276 of 1968, by PinguTux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

Did you use the SWT guide to create the package? You did use -XstartOnFirstThread in the startup script, right?

Yes, I used that page as a reference. -XstartOnFirstThread is still needed because otherwise it would crash in SWT.
I modified the start script to work in paths with spaces and to change into the main directory of DBGL (Or else DBGL could not find the DB).

rcblanke wrote:

Is it ok with you if I'd put your build live on the DBGL website?

Sure, I would appreciate it 😀

Reply 278 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

0.61 is available:

* Fixed a regression on Windows for crashing 'Send To' functionality (Christoph).
* Fixed custom column titles casing. This will also prevent a custom data/dosbox dir from being converted to lowercase (Pan).
* Allow '~' in data/dosbox directory (Qbix).
* Don't redraw and scroll the profiles list after editing a profile if the order of the list wasn't changed.
* Small usability improvements for mounting points; you can doubleclick on the list to add or edit an entry, and the cursor focus is set correctly in the mounting dialog. The dosroot (.) is now being used as the default mounting location.
* Some refactoring (Qbix).

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 279 of 1968, by Sladi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like your application very much Ronald!
Unfortunately it crashes for me when I click on "create shortcut". The window stays but the cursor shows the sandclock.
I use WindowsXP SP2 German and Java6.

Regards,
Sladi