DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Sladi,

Thanks! Mmm, you may be missing the jshortcut.dll and/or jshortcut.jar file(s) in the lib subdirectory. In case they're missing, you can download the latest full windows package and extract those two files to the lib folder.

If this doesn't solve the problem, please start dbgl using the dbglcons.cmd script, and tell me the output of the stacktrace when you use the 'create shortcut' function.

Reply 283 of 1968, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a serious question. but it might be stupid. Whenever I try to play a game from cd with DBGL it automaticly crashes> I do fine with my cd games in regular Dosbox but when I try to play them with DBGL nothing happens. I got my Dosbox configured correctly. Any suggestion will help.

Reply 284 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Currently running DBGL 0.54 with 9 games configured in the database.

Thinking of upgrading to the latest 0.61.

Would like to also install and add the 11 free games to my database.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Edit: 9 games, not 0.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2007-09-30, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 285 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't have any games setup in .54, just dump it. Extract the .60 starter package to where you want and replace the jar with the .61. The games included will be in a subdirectory of DGBL named dosroot. Keep in mind that the .55 starter pack has a different set of games..

DBGL is turning into a really nice frontend/game database. If it only had a decent import/export function. I know that it can import Defend profiles, but it would be nice if we could easily share DBGL profiles, and if D.O.G. used the same format...

Reply 286 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

F.ck!!! Thanks collector, but I really meant 9 - nine - games in the database.

Reply 287 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh... so, it is a little more involved. The info is stored in database.script in the db folder. It can be manually edited, merging the two databases, but you might end up with things listed with wrong info, like developer, as this is stored as a number that is based on what order the developers get added to that database.

What I think that I would do is just re-add the nine games. after all, it's just 9 games to do. I have considerably more, which would make it a real pain. I would also like to archive some of my games with DBGL profiles that could be added again later. This is also why I would like to have a good import/export function in DBGL and D.O.G.

Reply 288 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes, DBGL needs a good export and import function! I have asked one of my friends, an experienced Java developer, how he would do. Seems like there is a Java package called JAXB that is well suited to the task.

From what I understand, you start out by documenting how the external representation of the profile(s) will look like - as an XML document. The documentation is in the form of an XML-schema and an DTD. Using the schema, JAXB can then generate all the necessary Java-code to:

1) Create Java code/classes for each data-item in the XML.

2) Create an XML-document from a bunch of Java objects (created using the automatically generated Java classes).

3) Create a bunch of Java objects from an XML-document.

Ad 1) The actually data needs to be read/written from the DBGL-database.
Ad 2) This is the export.
Ad 3) This is the import.

It would be nice if this could all be integrated into DBGL, but as a first step I would be happy with a command line tool capable of exporting all or selected profiles from the database, and importing all or selected profiles from an XML document.

I imagine a document with 2 profiles would look something like this:

<profiles>

<profile>
<name>Racing Devils</game>
<gameinfo>
<publisher>Ubisoft</publisher>
<year>1994</year>
</gameinfo>

<dosbox>
<version>0.72</version>
<sdl>
<output>opengl</output>
<fullresolution>800x600</fullresolution>
</sdl>
</dosbox>
</profile>

<profile>
<name>Aladdins Lamp</game>
<gameinfo>
<publisher>Actavision</publisher>
<year>1991</year>
</gameinfo>

<dosbox>
<version>0.72</version>
<render>
<scaler>normal3x</output>
</render>
</dosbox>
</profile>

</profiles>

Reply 289 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of the information that DBGL stores in a profile is the game's name, developer, publisher, genre, year, DOSBox version, Status, Notes, Link1, Link2, Favorite, path to its .conf file, and the game's captures folder that DBGL uses.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 290 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, was on holiday in Vienna for a while; No MT-32 for me there, but the city did offer some beautiful architecture, nice weather and good food 😁

catchaserguns wrote:

I have a serious question. but it might be stupid. Whenever I try to play a game from cd with DBGL it automaticly crashes> I do fine with my cd games in regular Dosbox but when I try to play them with DBGL nothing happens. I got my Dosbox configured correctly. Any suggestion will help.

Hmm, no idea, should make no difference whatsoever. Can you give us some more information about you setup, maybe using some screenshots? You can try to disable 'Exit afterwards' to view DOSBox commands and to see what goes wrong.

MiniMax wrote:

Currently running DBGL 0.54 with 9 games configured in the database. Thinking of upgrading to the latest 0.61.

In general, upgrading should be painless:

• 1) Backup the DBGL folder
    2) download the latest dbgl.jar and overwrite it
    3) Check the changelog for updated library files; if there are any, simply drop the entire lib subdirectory and replace it with the lib dir in the latest complete DBGL package for your Operation System.

I've never had a problem updating my own collection of profiles, if database changes are necessary they are performed automatically on a first startup.

collector wrote:

What I think that I would do is just re-add the nine games. after all, it's just 9 games to do. I have considerably more, which would make it a real pain.

Again, no pain at all, just take the 3 steps mentioned above.

collector wrote:

I would also like to archive some of my games with DBGL profiles that could be added again later. This is also why I would like to have a good import/export function in DBGL and D.O.G.

Yep, shouldn't be too hard to implement. One tricky issue is the configured DOSBox version; there is currently no fool-proof method to identify a given DOSBox version as DBGL only stores its name/title. Thus, when importing a profile, DBGL can only 'guess' what DOSBox version is actually being used given its name. I might have to build a screen to associate imported DOSBox versions to currently configured DOSBox versions on the receiving DBGL installation. Does that make sense? Suggestions anybody?

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 291 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Somewhere here in the forum, I have uploaded a batch-file that does some heuristics to determine which version of DOSBox that is running the batch-file. Later versions of DOSBox have (IIRC) a command-line option to print a version string and then exit.

Edit: Here it is - Link: http://www.jabba.dk/files/db-info.zip
Guess it is time for an update...

Reply 292 of 1968, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Somewhere here in the forum, I have uploaded a batch-file that does some heuristics to determine which version of DOSBox that is

Edit: Here it is - Link: http://www.jabba.dk/files/db-info.zip
Guess it is time for an update...

You may stick a link and description to your batch file. 😎

Klimawandel.

Reply 293 of 1968, by ldanix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Everyone!
DBGL is quite sweet. I've recently been trying to get my older DOS games working in XP, and this is doing great.
I have a PC with MediaPortal on it, and I would like to be able to start games just by opening a file. Is there a way to get a profile to automatically start the game when it is loaded into DBGL?

Thanks!

Reply 294 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not sure.... First locate the DOSBox configuration file that DBGL has created. It should be somewhere in the directory where DBGL is installed. I think DBGL can be configured to use either the profile number, or the profile name for the configuration file.

Next, create a shortcut to the DOSBox executable (dosbox.exe) but with a couple of extra parameters:

dosbox.exe -conf \path\to\the\profile -exit

If you use the multiple configuration file feature, you need to list all the config-files on the shortcut command.

Reply 295 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uhmm, I do not really understand what you're trying to achieve but you can create desktop shortcuts of your DBGL profiles (right click on the appropriate game) and start those. Is that what you're looking for?

Reply 297 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re-read rcblanke's reply above. This is already possible with DBGL. In the list of profiles in DBGL, just right click on the game you want to make a shortcut for and select "Create Shortcut".

Reply 298 of 1968, by flamepanther

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the best DOSBox frontend ever! Any chance of another 64-bit Linux release? I can only get it to work with up to version 0.56. Versions 0.57 and up seem to run into trouble looking for the 7zip libraries.

Reply 299 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flamepanther wrote:

This is the best DOSBox frontend ever! Any chance of another 64-bit Linux release? I can only get it to work with up to version 0.56. Versions 0.57 and up seem to run into trouble looking for the 7zip libraries.

Thank you flamepanther! Just take the tar.gz of version 0.60 and put the J7zip.jar file in your own lib directory. Should work fine then.
You may want to consider updating swt.jar in your lib folder as well, grab it from here, and while your at it, update the dbgl.jar to 0.61 and have fun 😀