VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmmm - I (or rather DBGL) have a problem.

My old install of DBGL suddenly refused to launch. Tried different things - nothing worked.

Installed a fresh copy of 0.60 and the updated 0.62 jar into a new, clean directory.

New copy ran perfectly.

Copied all the relevant stuff (CMD-files, JAR-files, lib etc) over to my old DBGL install - without touching my database, profiles and captures.

Old DBGL ran 😀

Then I tried to clean up some of old DOSBox versions I had registered in the old database. But neither an old DOSBox 0.66rc3, nor the "Internal DOSBox CVS build, 2007-01-22" can be removed. I get an error from DBGL that says:

Database query 'remove dosboxversion' failed

What to do?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 341 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Small change to the Audio tab: I know I can select SoundBlaster Type = none, but it would be more consistent with a checkbox to enable/disable SB like it is with GUS, PC-speaker, and Disney. Same goes for the Tandy. Please add an Enable checkbox.

Reply 342 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Anyway (except hacking the database) to change the name of a configuration file? I have a game that didn't work well with 0.65, only with 0.63rc3. While testing, I named the 0.65 profile "MotorCity065.conf". Now, with 0.72 everything is working fine, so I would like to get rid of the 065 in the profile name.

Should I simply duplicate the entry and change the config name there?

EDIT: Duplicating, then removing the old one, fixed the naming problem for me.

Ahh - it also allowed me to duplicate my screen captures, but in the process of copying the images, DBGL also gave the files a new Last Modified time-stamp 🙁

Reply 343 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

In the profiles listing, any chance of also showing the DOSBox version selected with the game?

Reply 344 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Installing and running Wing Command III is something of a hack with this (and any other frontend?).

I have 4 CD-images with the game files on my physical G-drive. Since I need to swap between them, I prefer to mount them using the IMGMOUNT command.

But I also want to avoid hitting the max-length on the command line, so I do the imgmounting in 2 steps:

1) mount I "G:\Spool\ISOs\Wing Command III"
2) imgmount D "I:\WC3_CD1.bin" "I:\WC3_CD2.bin" "I:\WC3_CD3.bin" "I:\WC3_CD4.bin"

The game is both installed and run using an EXE on the first CD:

D:\WC3 -I

will do the setup and install.

D:\WC3

will start the game.

Now..... How do I specify this in the frontend?

Reply 345 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't see support for joysticktype=auto ?

Reply 346 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

My old install of DBGL suddenly refused to launch. Tried different things - nothing worked.

dbglcons might have given some more information about the problem (stacktrace).

Then I tried to clean up some of old DOSBox versions I had registered in the old database. But neither an old DOSBox 0.66rc3, nor the "Internal DOSBox CVS build, 2007-01-22" can be removed. I get an error from DBGL that says:
What to do?

It means that the DOSBox version that you're trying to remove is associated to at least one profile and/or template. You should be able to remove the DB version once that association is removed.

Please add an Enable checkbox.

Uhh, maybe. Depends on the changes that QBix and Moe have in mind for the upcoming dosbox.conf file format.

...change the name of a configuration file?

..Is on my to-do list.

...a new Last Modified time-stamp

Will soon be fixed.

In the profiles listing, any chance of also showing the DOSBox version selected with the game?

File -> Adjust Settings -> Profile Table -> check 'DB ID'

...to avoid hitting the max-length on the command line

If you put the images below the dosroot, all images will be mounted relative to that location, thus shortening the length of the imgmount command considerably. Should be short enough to mount 4 images.

DBGL has no specific support for game installation, just game setup. You may want to use the setup field for first-time installation though, and change the profile after installation to load 'setsound.exe' or the like.

I don't see support for joysticktype=auto

Edit profile -> I/O -> Joystick -> Type select 'auto'. It may be that the (earlier) associated DOSBox version didn't have that option. In that case, the joysticktype selectbox may be disabled. Just press 'Set' or 'Reload' next to the choosen DOSBox version in the edit profile window, to re-enable the joystick type selector.

Reply 348 of 1970, by wretched

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can someone please give me a link to the DOG front end, as I can not get it from

http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/

Also if someone can give me some - or loads- of advise on loading Realms Of The Haunting onto VISTA I would be grateful

Cheers
Wretched

Wretched
|iris light| & |GENERIC|
www.myspace.com/irislight

Reply 349 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

dbglcons might have given some more information about the problem (stacktrace).

I didn't use dbglcons specifically, but I did try to launch DBLG by hand from a CMD-prompt using just 'java -blah -blah -blah'.

(I think it was java and not javaw....)

Reply 350 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

File -> Adjust Settings -> Profile Table -> check 'DB ID'

Yes and no. It will show me the ID, e.g. '5', and then I have to look up that 5 in the version list to see that 5 = DOSBox 0.72.

I would have liked the name 'DOSBox 0.72' to be showed directly.

Reply 351 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

What to do?

It means that the DOSBox version that you're trying to remove is associated to at least one profile and/or template. You should be able to remove the DB version once that association is removed.

Okay, that worked fine for most of the versions. I now have a much cleaner list. But I guess there is no way that I can delete the 'Internal DOSBox CVS build, 2007-01-22' (ID 0) from the list?

That version is not used by any of my current profiles (they all show ID 5, the standard 0.72).

Reply 352 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

I don't see support for joysticktype=auto

Edit profile -> I/O -> Joystick -> Type select 'auto'. It may be that the (earlier) associated DOSBox version didn't have that option. In that case, the joysticktype selectbox may be disabled. Just press 'Set' or 'Reload' next to the choosen DOSBox version in the edit profile window, to re-enable the joystick type selector.

Nope - doesn't work. I can select from a number of joystick types:

• none
  • 2axis
  • 4axis
  • ch
  • fcs

but no 'auto'.

Edit: Okay - fixed it by hacking the settings.conf file so the joystick line now reads:

joysticktype=none auto 2axis 4axis ch fcs

Hmmm.... That means I can also add my 1920x1200 screen to the fullresolution setting... Will it do me any good?

Last edited by MiniMax on 2008-02-27, 00:30. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 353 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

How is that
Edit version => Edit configuration file using external editor
supposed to work?

I can bring up my DOSBox 0.72 located in C:\Program\DOSBox-0.72 and I see this long button 'Edit configuration file using external editor', but absolutely nothing happens when I click on it.

Reply 354 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

I didn't use dbglcons specifically, but I did try to launch DBLG by hand from a CMD-prompt using just 'java -blah -blah -blah'.

So, was there any interesting output shown?

...That version is not used by any of my current profiles (they all show ID 5, the standard 0.72).

Ok, but what about the templates, did you check those too?

..fixed it by hacking the settings.conf file

You can also use the settings screen, dynamic options tab to specify those. The joystick 'auto' option was probably missing from your DBGL installation because your settings.conf came from a DBGL version when DOSBox did not have the 'auto' joystick setting yet.

How is that
supposed to work?

It checks your OS for any of the following file-type associations: .conf, .txt, .inf, .ini, .cfg, .java, .doc to open such a document. This will usually result in opening notepad, gedit or whatever to edit the profile. Rather strange that it does not work at your place...

@wretched: http://www.second-unit.org/dog/dog-153.exe

Reply 355 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
MiniMax wrote:

So, was there any interesting output shown?

Nope. Nothing. No error messages, no window popping up, no nothing.

...That version is not used by any of my current profiles (they all show ID 5, the standard 0.72).

Ok, but what about the templates, did you check those too?

Nope - will do.

..fixed it by hacking the settings.conf file

You can also use the settings screen, dynamic options tab to specify those. The joystick 'auto' option was probably missing from your DBGL installation because your settings.conf came from a DBGL version when DOSBox did not have the 'auto' joystick setting yet.

Confirmed. Compared it to a settings-file from a fresh install. Noted that the joystick type there also listed 4axis_2.

How is that
supposed to work?

It checks your OS for any of the following file-type associations: .conf, .txt, .inf, .ini, .cfg, .java, .doc to open such a document. This will usually result in opening notepad, gedit or whatever to edit the profile. Rather strange that it does not work at your place...

I will have to check that.

Reply 356 of 1970, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Suggestion - could there maybe be an extra tab in the profile to show the conf file's contents in plain text format? Like a "view source" type of thing? When you edit a config file manually externally and then try to use the frontend's profile editor it overwrites any unusual manual changes.

For instance for GK2 I had to add some autoexec commands to get imgmount working (6 cds long). Now I can't touch the profile without losing that info, so it has to be done manually. If there was a "source" tab we could manually add lines to the conf file without losing such commands.

Reply 357 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

avatar_58: Would it work if you created a profile-template with those imgmount commands? It might be a one-game template, but it might work.

Reply 358 of 1970, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe, I'd have to try it. Although I figure since it's only one game I don't mind doing it manually.

See what I did was -

mount c: c:\dos
c:
cd\sierra\gk2dos\cd
imgmount disc1 disc2 disc3......etc
gk2.exe

Something along those lines. If I mount the images using "c:\blahblah\blahblah2\cd\disc1.cue" and keep going for 6 cds I just get an error message saying they cannot be found. However I see no way to cd into the directory and then mount them from the frontend.

Reply 359 of 1970, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sounds very much like what I do with Wing Commander III:

MiniMax wrote:
Installing and running Wing Command III is something of a hack with this (and any other frontend?). […]
Show full quote

Installing and running Wing Command III is something of a hack with this (and any other frontend?).

I have 4 CD-images with the game files on my physical G-drive. Since I need to swap between them, I prefer to mount them using the IMGMOUNT command.

But I also want to avoid hitting the max-length on the command line, so I do the imgmounting in 2 steps:

1) mount I "G:\Spool\ISOs\Wing Command III"
2) imgmount D "I:\WC3_CD1.bin" "I:\WC3_CD2.bin" "I:\WC3_CD3.bin" "I:\WC3_CD4.bin"

There is also some magic wrt. the 'dosroot' folder. I don't know where/how it is define, but if you put the images there, you can apparently do a

imgmount D .\disc1.iso .\disc2.iso

with the . being that magic dosroot folder.

EDIT: The magic is explained here: Re: New DOSBox Frontend - DOSBox Game Launcher

Seems like what you can do, is to rename your C:\DOS to C:\DOSroot, move the images to C:\DOSroot, and change your DBGL mounts to

C = .
D = .\disc1 .\disc2 .\disc3 ...

Or you could keep the images deep down in the GK2DOS directory and mount them as

D = .\Sierra\GK2DOS\CD\disc1 .\Sierra\GK2DOS\CD\disc2 .\Sierra\GK2DOS\CD\disc3 ...