Reply 40 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

The FrontEnd D.O.G. is now available at :

OLD VERSION! ERIKGG
http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/NewDOG.exe

I'm new to the internet site business, but it only seems to work by copying it to the addressbar.

Erik.

Last edited by ErikGG on 2006-09-02, 23:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ErikGG wrote:

Hi,
Gadler, can you send me te .prof file of the game in question? Because I can 't get the generator to reproduce the problem you mentioned with the cdrom.
Erik.

Try theese ones.
And remove the CD rom from the config and try to mount it new.
Some strange errors appears
CDROM is C: and
HDD is D:

Do you import my D-Fend configs? Give it a Try and investigate the new configs. He misses also some mounted Paths.

In the D-Fend config is:
C:\ = C:\tools\dosbox\spiele

In the imported file
C:\ = C:\

Attachments

• Filename
    alieninc.zip
    File size
    1.7 KiB
    Downloads
    602 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    synnergist.zip
    File size
    1.74 KiB
    Downloads
    577 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 42 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
In the D-Fend config is: C:\ = C:\tools\dosbox\spiele […]
Show full quote

In the D-Fend config is:
C:\ = C:\tools\dosbox\spiele

In the imported file
C:\ = C:\

This is one of D-Fends tricks, it will do this :

mount C "C:\tools\dosbox\spiele" cd\ startexe.exe exit […]
Show full quote

mount C "C:\tools\dosbox\spiele"
cd\
startexe.exe
exit

my application will do this, because if you look at the imported prof file as a txt then is C:\ mounted as C:\ and not the exe's path (or look at the mounting tab in DFend if you have 30sec or more of spare time 😐 ) :

mount C "C:\" cd\ cd tools\dosbox\spiele\ startexe.exe exit […]
Show full quote

mount C "C:\"
cd\
cd tools\dosbox\spiele\
startexe.exe
exit

For the CDRom problem i noticed that my current routine works also backwards. It sometimes spews out something like this : cd ..\
This kind of works, but it results in bad setups if your CDROM is one of the subdirectories of a HD. Now if it tries to take that path, then it will be ignored. Happened with Synergist.

[autoexec] mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele" -label c mount d "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\synnergi\cd" -t cdrom -label synnergist D: […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele" -label c
mount d "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\synnergi\cd" -t cdrom -label synnergist
D:
cd\
cd ..\
synn.exe

My current start exe routine does this to be exact :
1 : Search if a drive (doesn't matter if it is a HD or CD or whatever) has a path relative to the path of the exe.
2 : Return the virtual drive with the shortest relative path to the exe (this is the problem at times)
3 : Open drive
4 : cd your way to the exe
5 : start the exe
6 : If no drive is available mount a HD with the path of the exe and just open it and start the EXE

The return shortest path results in some bogus conf files with some of your game profiles at the moment, because I saw ones something like this with Aliens - A Comic Book Adventure [Deutsch]:

[autoexec] mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\aliens" -label c mount g "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\aliens\cd" -t cdrom -label disk G: c […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\aliens" -label c
mount g "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\aliens\cd" -t cdrom -label disk
G:
cd\
cd aliens\
aliens.exe
exit

DFend conf looks like this before the DFend profile conversion at startup :

[autoexec] mount C "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens" -label C mount G "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens\cd" -t cdrom -label DISK […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens" -label C
mount G "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens\cd" -t cdrom -label DISK
C:
cd\
cd \cd\aliens\
aliens.exe
exit
G:
cd\
cd \aliens\
aliens.exe
exit

afther conversion (maybe because the dir doesn't exist on my drive) :

[autoexec] mount C "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens" -label C mount G "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\aliens\cd" -t cdrom -label DISK […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
C:
cd\
cd
exit
G:
cd\
cd
exit

With the exe being : "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\aliens\cd\aliens\aliens.exe"

What I don't get is the two startups? Why is that? Where is it configured in D-Fend? I'm using the D-Fend that you posted together with the profiles. 😕

Oh and btw, I get the feeling how you must have felt the copple of years using D-Fend, every time I just press a button my jaw just drops to the floor whilest looking the items once again going away before my very eyes.

The current version of D.O.G. (Not yet posted), has gotten a little faster in editing, creating profiles. No more little hangups of the program if you press OK in the profile manager or toggle favorite. This next version will be posted as soon as the hickups with the exe starter are solved.

Erik.

Reply 43 of 47, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ErikGG wrote:

What I don't get is the two startups? Why is that?

It's a D-Fend bug, I spoke with Mabus Raeen about that some time ago. To reproduce:

1) create a test profile with automatic mount-point and store it
2) Now, when you add a mount point to this profile that is located on the same physical drive station as the first one, you'll get the aforementioned bug.

I think its safe to just drop all commands after the first 'exit', since they would never have been executed anyway.

Ronald

Reply 44 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ErikGG wrote:

For the CDRom problem i noticed that my current routine works also backwards. It sometimes spews out something like this : cd ..\
This kind of works, but it results in bad setups if your CDROM is one of the subdirectories of a HD. Now if it tries to take that path, then it will be ignored. Happened with Synergist.

[autoexec] mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele" -label c mount d "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\synnergi\cd" -t cdrom -label synnergist D: […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
mount c "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele" -label c
mount d "c:\tools\dosbox\spiele\synnergi\cd" -t cdrom -label synnergist
D:
cd\
cd ..\
synn.exe

Exactly this is the imported Problem, i mean. With this conf he changes to D:\ (!) and tries to start D:\synn.exe. Wrong Path and wrong Drive!

And this is the D-Fend Config:
[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele" -label C
mount D "C:\Tools\DOSBox\spiele\synnergi\cd" -t cdrom -label synnergist
C:
cd\
cd \synnergi\
synn.exe
exit

It's just a Batch.
Go to C:
Go to Root cd\
Change to C:\synnergi\
and start synn.exe.

ErikGG wrote:

DFend conf looks like this before the DFend profile conversion at startup :

Show full quote

[autoexec]
C:
cd\
cd \cd\aliens\
aliens.exe
exit
G:
cd\
cd \aliens\
aliens.exe
exit

What I don't get is the two startups? Why is that? Where is it configured in D-Fend? I'm using the D-Fend that you posted together with the profiles. 😕

Huh.. this is a strange error D-Fend creates, and i don't see before.. 2 Startups?? 😳 This really can't be works.
Found the same Problem in the Actua Soccer conf.

I found the D-Fend Problem. If you MUST mount the SAME Directory as CD-ROM too, D-Fend creates this stupid Entry!!!

Reply 45 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'll post the new D.O.G. this sunday because I'm going to take a two day break (need some rest from the long days and nights) and still need to work out some stuff.

The problem with the ..\ drive path is solved. So normally I hope everything should be fine now with the next version.

The Com files are now added.

The state saving problem with the acces violation should be solved now.

The speeding up of D.O.G. is now in effect, it results in no more hanging afther an edit or add of a profile. D.O.G. only "hangs a sec" with about 4000 profiles when started like the current one thats available. I'm currently also working on a solution to this problem. So that it is possible to make the app start with more then 10000 profiles under one sec (I hope).

Btw, does the download link work?

Erik.

Reply 46 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ErikGG wrote:

Btw, does the download link work?

No it opens this Side (on my Browser). I must Copy the Link in an new TAB, to download it. If you need a Server for your Frontend.. mail i me the File. I put it on my Server for a Permanent Link!

regards