VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started playing around with DosBox 0.65 and I finally noticed that only surface works. If I use opengl, ddraw, overlay or anything other than surface, it always appears "surface" quality in the game. The other methods work fine for me in 0.63, but 0.65 won't show anything other than surface even if I manually put something into the dosbox.conf file. Anyone know why this is happening?

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox will tell you in the other window if it changes back to surface.
Does it do this ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No it doesn't. I just see that a message about it loading settings from the config file, and a message that it opened device win32. I've replaced surface with other options under output= in the dosbox.conf, but that didn't work. I also tried using the latest beta of D-Fend but that didn't work either. But if I use DosBox 0.63 or link D-Fend to DosBox 0.63, the options start displaying correctly again. I also tried a fresh install of DosBox 0.65 but that didn't help either. I'm going to try uninstalling DosBox 0.63 just in case.

Reply 5 of 10, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By surface quality I mean I get the quality of graphics you'd get with output=surface in dosbox.conf rather than having something like output=opengl. I don't get that anti-aliased look. I just uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Edited the config file once again with output=ddraw, but still have the same problem. I also tried using CVS build, but same thing happens. I'm now going to try updating my video card drivers and if that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.

It no longer bilinear filters? I'm assuming it still fills out the pixels? Surface, opengl, and ddraw all look the same. I just opened up Photoshop and took screencaps to compare. Surface vs. ddraw has the exact same effect pixel for pixel.

Last edited by Maxor127 on 2006-08-21, 14:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the display shouldn't change if you change output.
maybe it did in 0.63 then it was a bug there ..
If you want more beautiful graphics play with the scaler option.

output is only for speed/compatibility.

Reply 7 of 10, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the output options no longer fill out the pixels? Yes, back in 0.63 changing to overlay or opengl would smooth out the graphics and gave them an anti-aliased look, especially in EGA games. It was a nice effect. So output is completely a performance setting and has no visual difference in 0.65?

Reply 8 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it never should have.
although opengl did have bilinear filtering on by default in 0.63
and overlay is a bit videocard depended.

Reply 9 of 10, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see now. I guess DosBox doesn't support that anymore? I see in these other builds that they have pixelshader options and they give the effect I'm used to. The only catch is you can't use the scalers. I think I like the scalers without the pixelshading better now since the screen stays bright and you still get that rounded pixel effect.

Reply 10 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox before 0.65 used hardware scaling for normal2x when it was possible, 0.65 does not. I have added the option back as hardware2x in my builds; if you're using official version you can also try disabling the scalers and use windowresolution parameter.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza