VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi. I'm using Dosbox solely for the MT-32 music and sounds and to play certain games in it's optimal speed in some older games, since I'm having another old PC dedicated to DOS and Win98 combo with AWE32,etc. to play all my old Dos favourites.

Somehow I noted while playing games in Dosbox using fullscreen, the music emulation seems to slow down a bit which seems to be a let down when I compare it as soon as I press Alt-Enter to play it in a window.
To explain again, there is no stutter wahtsoever but the sounds seem to "drag" a bit to make it sound slow, if you can get what I mean, which spoils the fun, if you've played the game. This is very evident on switching back and forth using window and full screen mode. And of course, only full screen can provide authentic dos experience.

Is it always slow like this? I've tried cranking up the cycles but the sound just deteriorates instead of getting better.

My PC which is using the Dosbox is a Pentium D 3GHz, with SB X-Fi and 2GB Ram, ATI 1900XTX.

I've also tried switching back my MIDI device from the MT-32 emulator to the original X-Fi's midi engine but the result is the same. I've tried changing to coreaudio which seems to make it a tad faster but not much better.

Any clues or any similar experiences? Any solution will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 2, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just found out the reason. In case anyone else is having the same problem, I found out that I needed to change the render to OVERLAY and midi engine to win32.

I'm using DFend frontend. And it's great, and never had any problems with it.

And just in case anyone having problem with Ultima 6 and the disk error message, just keep pressing Esc few times and the problem will go away, even when you're using a frontend.

Thanks anyway for your reply, eL_PuSHeR. Appreciated it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers