VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by etoile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've got DOSBox working great on my PC, but I'm wondering if I can put it on a USB stick and take it with me. Are there any versions that would still work on a portable drive?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 12, by etoile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, because even if I did I wouldn't be able to tell if it worked. Basically to run on a USB stick software should:
1. Not require installation (DOSBox seems to)
2. Not write to the registry (not sure if it does)
3. Not create or modify files outside its own directory (not sure if it does)

Even if I was able to install it to the USB stick, I don't know if it writes to the registry or creates/modifies any files outside its own directory.

Reply 3 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. If you use the Official DosBox versions then yes it does require installation...but only to extract the files from the installer. Once it has done that then you can simply copy the DosBox folder to your USB stick.

2. DosBox uses SDL. It doesn't require the mess that is the registry in any way. DosBox's "registry" is dosbox.conf.

3. The only way that DosBox can "create or modify files outside it's own directory" is if you tell it to. By default it does not.

If you'd spend at least 5 minutes trying it you'd have figured this stuff out for yourself.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

there is some website that has this listed.
(it specilizes in these kind of things.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well surprise, surprise my head is still on my shoulders (i think)... 🤣
ive tryed dosbox (0.65, winXP SP2) with QUARANTINE today on my stick, works good so far.
you only have to manually correct your mounting options (dosbox.conf) everytime you run it on another system.
and i recommend a USB 2.0 stick/OS for "good" performance...

Reply 10 of 12, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be better to create a subdirectory on the USB stick for your virtual hard drive and mount this instead of the root, e.g. for subfolder "hd":

mount c hd
c:

Should work on every system!

Reply 12 of 12, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[quote="Reckless"][quote="DosFreak"]If you'd spend at least 5 minutes trying it you'd have figured this stuff out for yourself.[/quote]Exactly! Why don't people try something before asking the question :shocked:[/quote]

Imagine someone thinking, "Maybe, I should find out if this is the right tool BEFORE I start using it."

Because even if it appears to work, it might not. Some of the functionality might not be there.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko