VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I'm trying to use QuickBasic under Linux, and the only way for me to do that seems to be to run DOSBox in the Wine Windows emulator. (I've tried to compile it but GCC just gives errors, errors, errors... )

There's just one problem: As soon as Dosbox has started it keeps putting the mouse cursor in the middle of the dosbox window. Obviously I cant click anything because I cant control the mouse. But if i moves the mouse very fast the cursor leaves dosbox and i can use the mouse... until the cursor reaches the dosbox window, then its stuck again.

The problem is the same when im pressing Ctrl-F10 to use the mouse in QuickBasic, except that it's stuck in the bottom of the window.

It may be unusual to run an emulator inside another emulator, but although i beleive this is a dosbox problem, as the mouse is free while dosbox is just an empty black box, but gets stuck when the dosbox prompt is started. Im thinking like this: DOSBox is not a Console App under Win32, and non-console apps should work in Wine, but dosbox does not.

Also, the special way Dosbox reads the keyboard makes so i cant use even a US keyboard layout, since the å,ä,ö keys are unusable. In the console, they are not å,ä,ö, but their character in US layout. In DOSBox they are nothing. So i can enter "[{" but not "}]". I've tried both usescancodes=true and usescancodes=false in config.

Im using:

DOSBox 0.65 (of course)
Wine 0.9.12
IceWindowManager 1.2.25
Knoppix Linux 5.0.1
Linux kernel 2.6.17
Fujitsusiemens PC with Cleleron 1 ghz, 256 mb sdram...

Reply 2 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Get them here:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1 (Official downloads)
DOSBox SVN Builds (More experimental)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 10, by Tux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought i told you: I have really tried to find Dosbox for Linux but i can only find the source code. And i cant, and wont even try to, compile it!

Publish a compiled version of Dosbox, please! Package or installer doesnt matter, though .tar.gz-package is more flexible (in my opinion). Thanks in advance.

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to this link mentioned above: DOSBox SVN Builds

Download the Linux builds mentioned on the page.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Tux wrote:

I thought i told you: I have really tried to find Dosbox for Linux but i can only find the source code.

You tux at teh Interweb 😀
http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?dosbox-0.65

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 10, by Tux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the right file on Moe's site, thanks! 😅

Snover: Yes indeed. Knoppix tells me it has ~2 GB of software included, there should be some place for Dosbox in those 2000000000 bytes...

And MiniMax, I cant find anything to download on that site you linked to? One of us must be a bit clumsy...

Reply 10 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually if I remember correctly there was a patch that fixed that behavior (the centering onscreen at least) in Wine up to about 7 versions ago (0.9.16 or so still worked). Since then the patch stopped working so I haven't tried it anymore. (Not bad for a patch from early 2005)
Here's the sad part. You had to apply the diff against the source code and then compile Wine....

(Just in case someone finding this is eager to know the solution-
The patch and instructions are available at
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/200 … uly/014247.html
Download mousehack.diff
Move the diff to wine/dlls/dinput
Use the command 'patch -i mousehack.diff'
Then add the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Wine/Dinput mousehack = [disabled | enabled]
to turn off/on the patch. (Some apps didn't work well with the patch.))

One other option. There is another dos emulator for Linux. It's called dosemu. No idea where to find packages for Knoppix or if they even exist. It's a little more complicated to set up especially if you want to use a cd as you have to actually set up a cd-rom driver to get it to read cds just like dos.
Personally I like dosbox MUCH better.
Still it's nice to have two tools just in case one doesn't work.