VOGONS

Common searches

Ctrl+Break == no go in either QBasic or C++ 3.1

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Searinox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I can't pause proggys cause ctrl+break doesn't work. I'm using the standard keyboard layout and US language, running Windows Vista final version. What am I doing wrong here?

Reply 4 of 25, by Searinox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no ideea how to do that, anyways I tried mapping break to printscreen and took away printscreen's mapped key and although printscreen DID work as a pause key, ctrl+printscreen didn't work. Then I tried mapping ctrl AND break to printscreen, again it was a no go.

Reply 8 of 25, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:
Ctrl-break checks are woven into the dos in/out system, and as dosbox is missing those checks (and i don't see any easy way how […]
Show full quote

Ctrl-break checks are woven into the dos in/out system, and as dosbox
is missing those checks (and i don't see any easy way how to add them)
it doesn't work no matter how you remap keys.
You could try booting msdos or freedos inside dosbox.

It shouldn't be too difficult to add? INT9 should cal INT1B, and various DOS input (and output?) functions should check the Ctrl-C flag and call INT23. I haven't checked in detail, but can't be that hard... (No, I do not have time to add it myself 😀). Perhaps QBasic and others intercept the 1B directly instead of the 23, making it even easier.

JAL

Reply 10 of 25, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Well there's a lot more around it than "just checking on dos in/out functions".
If you need it, boot dos.

Sure, why not make DOSbox a PC emulator, and make booting DOS obligatory for it to work, even easier! 😀 Really wd, lighten up a bit, it's not a personal assault on you every time someone suggest supporting something in DOSbox that's not in there yet.

JAL

Reply 14 of 25, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The following will need to be done to get ctl-break to work:

rewrite mapper to handle ctrl-break, it currently banishes the combination to dev/null
with mapper passing ctrl-break, keyboard.cpp puts the break sequence(e0h 46h e0h c6h) into the kb buffer
add 1bh handler to bios.cpp; 1bh simply inserts ctrl-c into the kb buffer
add 23h handler to dos.cpp; 23h terminates the current running program/batch file(more or less just copy int 20 handler)
init 1bh & 23h vectors(at 000:006ch & psp offset 0eh)
wherever bios checking occurs, on seeing ctrl-break sequence, sets 40:0071h bit7, calls 1bh
wherever dos kb checking occurs, on seeing ctrl-c sequence, calls 23h

Reply 15 of 25, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ih8registrations wrote:

The following will need to be done to get ctl-break to work:

This seems like a manageable task. Maybe someone can pick it up. This raises an interesting (and perhaps often asked) question: couldn't we have a list of these 'todo' tasks on the DOSbox developers page, so that someone willing to devote some time could pick it up?

JAL

Reply 16 of 25, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason you won't see such lists too often is because it's the harder part; figuring out how it should work, where the changes need to be made, and the current state. The coding in this instance is rather easy. The sticking point is I don't like the mapper code. I'd scrap it before spending any time patching it, but since I don't see the current mapper being dropped anytime soon, here's an outline instead so someone else can do it. Outside of the mapper, the only fuzzy part of the outline I gave is the "whereever x checking occurs" bits which is me responding to the thread before deciding where I'd put them. That and it's more of a code cleanliness issue, 1bh could just as well be called from keyboard.cpp.

Reply 18 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

mapper = an internal part of DOSBox that makes it possible to use say a German keyboard with programs written by naive Americans that wrongly assume that every keyboard is laid out like an American keyboard. The mapper maps/connects the real keys to the keycodes that the Americans expect. Rewriting means modifying the program code that does the remapping.

keyboard.cpp = Another part of the internal DOSBox code. The .cpp tells me that this code is written in C-Plus-Plus.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 19 of 25, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

... with programs written by naive Americans that wrongly assume that every keyboard is laid out like an American keyboard. ...

Whoa 🤣
Just to be fair, I've seen this in some German and French programs too. It's especially annoying when the French layout is assumed, because the positions of the keys are very different from the other layouts (AZERTY).