VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by shrakner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm trying to get some of my dad's old games (BurgerTime, King's Quest V & VI, and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary) to run in DOSBox. They will run fine on my computer (1.5 GHz G4) but are terribly choppy on his machine- even BurgerTime!

The DOSBox website claims it can reach 486 performance on a 500 MHz G3, but that's only extrapolated data.

Currently, he only has 192 RAM, but he's getting an extra 512 chip for Christmas, bringing it up to 574 megs. Would the extra ram boost it enough for DOSBox to run smoothly? Has anyone else gotten decent DOSBox performance on a similar spec machine?

The day Microsoft starts making products that don't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Reply 1 of 8, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i can tell you that it wont be a fast 486 as well.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 8, by shrakner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the speed of the actual processor isn't the issue so much as it is that the emulation doesn't run smoothly on the iBook, period. Even BurgerTime, a game that should run fine on just about anything, runs way too slow (and yes, it is using all of G3 processor that it can). I'm wondering if the extra RAM will make it run smoothly, at all. On my G4 computer, the aforementioned games run just fine on the standard CPU cycles (I think it's 5000?)

And to the mods: Sorry, I accidentally posted in the wrong forum. This should be in the DOSBox general forum.

The day Microsoft starts making products that don't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Reply 8 of 8, by shrakner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried his computer with the new RAM chip, and DOSBox was still too slow. Looks like he'll have to wait for a computer upgrade before he can play King's Quest 6 again... funny, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks for your help.