VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BlueWizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all of you guys,

I'm wondering if DosBox developers will perform a new official Dosbox release before the Christmas holidays / new year... any news?

Thanks a lot for the attention and Merry Christmas to all of you!!!! 😁

/BlueWizard, Italy

Reply 2 of 8, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Download one of the various CVS builds.
DOSBox SVN Builds
They provide lots of new or improved features. I'd suggest ykhwong's or gulikoza's builds.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just because it's CVS doesn't mean it has all the features of the next official version of DosBox. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 8, by BlueWizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I understand... and I'll update my v0.65 with the latest official CVS build.

To Qbix, other developers and contributors: keep the good work on going, I dream the the day in which DosBox will be very stable and its forum wishlist will be empty!! 😜

/BlueWizard

Reply 5 of 8, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may not be what BlueWizard has intended when he wrote this post, but having periodic "official" releases of the CVS code would be very helpful to Linux folk. Having official releases makes it easier to install in Debian distributions like Mepis and Ubuntu. It's not like Windows where installing the latest is just easy.

Reply 6 of 8, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The "Secret" ist to compile the sources yourself. You do not have to be a programmer to do this. Thus you will have a brand new selfmade-build that exactly fits your distro.

Reply 7 of 8, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, but then how do you uninstall it? What if a newer official release shows up in the apt sources?

I realize its a matter of point since DOSBox isn't that messy of an install, but other programs are. We should not have to resort to sources. And if DOSBox doesn't come out with a release at least once a year, that's what we'll have to do.

Most package maintainers don't even look at CVS versions. They just package up official releases and never look back. You'll get more users of DOSBox if an up-to-date version is available via YUM or apt-get/synaptic on a frequent basis.

Robert

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You'll get more users of DOSBox if an up-to-date version is available via YUM or apt-get/synaptic on a frequent basis.

I'm not sure whether one of Dosbox' goal is to get as much users as possible. Most people should be ok with the official releases. Those who want to have newer versions can easily compile the source and be fine with that. Those that compile CVS themselves are rarely bothered by uninstallation or something like that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper