VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This question comes up from time to time (including posts from myself well over a year ago), so here it is in a nutshell after playing with all options for years.

I have DOS 6.22/Win3.1 on VirtualPC 2004, VirtualPC 2007 beta, VMWare 5.5.3, and Win3.1 on DOSBox ykhwong build 12.03.2006. All have been optimally installed per the unique VM's capabilities.

VPC and VMWare have boot menus with HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.EXE an UMBPCI.SYS as options.

Here are my impressions of DOS and Windows 3.1:

Virtual PC 2004
The best Windows 3.1 option. Works great and there are S3 and SB16 drivers available which work with it. DOS 6.22 works nice too and many games work okay, although not as many as DOSBox. Seems quite stable. Sound and MIDI work in DOS.

Virtual PC 2007b
Not as good as VPC 2004. It's buggy and I get kernel errors in Windows. I hope MS still has work to do on it. Otherwise, same capabilities as VPC 2004.

VMWare 5.5.2 or 5.5.3
Works fine, although a bit slow since you can only use the VGA driver. DOS requires the "later" Creative Labs SB16 drivers with Mixerset, Diagnose, etc in the boot files. Sound not as good as VPC. No MIDI in DOS. Some DOS extender games like Duke Nukem 3D run faster than in VPC 2004, but most others are better in VPC.

EMM386 and UMBPCI configs both work in VPC and VMWare. Some options work better than others for certain DOS games. Neither support Qualitas 386Max 7.x or Quarterdeck QEMM 8.x. VPC has more upper memory available to squeeze drivers and TSR's. I can get 625K conventional easily in VPC. Both support WFWG 3.11 with TCP/IP support too, although it's a bit buggier in VMWare. I have no problems doing Internet based applications in VPC 2004.

DOSBox 0.65 or better
Windows 3.1 works great after setup. S3 (or Tseng) and SB16 drivers available. CPU doesn't idle in Windows 3.1 but does in DOS mode. Compatibility seems great. DOS games are of course great with no need to worry about DOS config.sys & autoexec.bat files. Sound and MIDI both work great in Windows and DOS.

If I had to rank them *for Windows 3.1*, it would be:

VPC 2004
DOSBox
VMWare 5.5.x
VPC 2007 (for now)

Ranking overall, including DOS and Windows 3.1
DOSBox
VPC 200x
VMWare 5.5.x

If your idea of fun is to tweak DOS memory management (ie. you like playing with config.sys and autoexec.bat more than playing games), you want VPC 2004. I assume there are some sick people out there like myself. 🤣

-Robert

Edit: The latest release candidate of VPC 2007 works much better now with Win3.1!

Last edited by valnar on 2007-01-26, 01:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice, although you kept saying "VMWare" as if it's just one program and not the Player and the Server (which requires one to bother getting a free registration). Is Virtual PC 200X just one combined program without any (free) registration?

Now can you also rank them by Windows 9X?:happy:

Last edited by lwc on 2006-12-26, 23:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win 9x -
VMWare and VPC are about equal, although the networking capabilities in VMWare, as it relates to the host, are more bountiful. VMWare is also a tad bit faster than VPC. This assumes their virtual HDD is IDE which is not as optimized as the virtual SCSI disk option (available on both Server products and VMWare Workstation). However, I like VPC more *for Windows 98*. 'Hard to say why. It just seems more solid. Maybe because the underlying DOS VM support is better.

DOSBox - forget it.

And I forgot.... Parallels - still buggy IMO. Sound and DOS support is worse than all three other options. Parallels does okay with Win98 though. If they fix all their complaints, the next major release version will be a big contender in the virtual desktop (not Server) market.

VMWare player, Server or Workstation doesn't matter for compatibility, although the Server products might not quite be as useful for interactive use. Not sure if MS Virtual Server has SB16 sound or not. ??

Robert

Edit: VMWare has USB and other support too which both DOSBox and VPC lack. None do DirectX games at all. VMWare has experimental support, but forget about it. If you need DirectX support, you can probably run it natively on whatever version of Windows you have handy.

Reply 3 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VPC/Vmware support DirectX games just fine. They just don't support D3D/OGL/Glide.

Vmware Server works just as well as Vmware Workstation for playing games. The interface is the same Vmware Workstation except you have the option of a web interface. With MS Virtual Server 2005 you only have the web interface. Only MS Virtual Server 2005 doesn't have sound support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've worked with DOSBox (official 0.65) and VMWare (both Server, Player and Workstation), and I prefer DOSBox (much faster than VMWare, thanks to VGA emulation of VMWare).

On the other side, I'll take VMWare as my preferred way of executing virtual Windows (I've got a virtual Windows 2000 server). Some thoughts about VMWare:
- You don't need VMWare Server AND Player. If you've got premade virtual machines, you can use VMWare Player. If you plan to make your own machines, use Server (free) or Workstation ($$$).
- In VMWare you can choose IDE o SCSI hard disk (Win9x machines will choose IDE by default, WinNT or Linux machines will choose SCSI by default), but I've not managed to disable the SCSI controller of the virtual machine (any help?).
- You can drag and drop files between the host and the virtual machine with VMWare Workstation, but not with the player nor the server. Shared folders works only in Workstation, too.
- VMWare can make a direct connection to USB, serial and parallel devices.
- VMWare have DirectX support by default, but not Direct3D.
- There are two "hidden" features in the virtual machine definition files. Editing by hand, you can enable SB16 support and enable Direct3D support. Direct3D support is experimental and could destroy all humans if you try it. There are some docs in internet about enabling that.
- I don't like VMWare performance without VMWare tools. That's why I prefer DOSBox when I play Operation: Inner Space.

Are there any emulator that supports OS/2?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 16, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think VirtualPC is perhaps the better "real" PC emulator compared to VMWare. But VMWare shines on operating systems it directly supports with VMWare Tools. VPC emulates an S3 Trio64 video adapter which makes it easier to run in non-supported OS's. The SB16 option of VMWare is used in my DOS example above, and still doesn't work as well as the SB16 in VPC.

-Robert

DOSFreak, you are right as always on my points that I missed. It's been awhile since I played with either Server product.

Reply 7 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You are missing one big feature of Dosbox that none of the big ones have:
Dosbox runs Windows 3.x without a need to boot an image. That is a very big difference and something I really like about Dosbox.
Another feature that I miss in the big ones is the Dos/Windows 3.x support. What I mean is, if you got a problem with running GAMES you are able to get help here (and even help in getting general Windows 3.x things running). Of course you may get grumpy replies but there is almost always someone pointing you to a solution. The big ones (at least VPC) will only say that Dos/Windows 3.x is not their real target and they are sorry that they can't help you further.

How is joystick support in VPC and VMWARE? Do they support the 2axis/4buttons thing?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably no one thought of it and/or the OP didn't test it.

But Dosbox isn't a command line utility (only the program itself looks like Dos, hence a bit like the command line) 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 16, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If DOSBox isn't a command line program, I don't know what is...it has no GIU. That's why people create frontends for it and why its forums are flooded with newbies who are clueless on how to launch games with it.

Reply 11 of 16, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have played with QEMU/KQEMU on both Windows & Linux. Perhaps it's my after-Christmas fog, but I didn't include that either along with Parallels in my original post. I'll admit I forgot, but my subconscious thought behind it was it's a non-issue. It is neither as compatible as VPC or VMWare, and perhaps along the lines of Parallels, which is not that good either. I'll admit though that my experience with QEMU is much more limited since within in a couple days' time, it didn't impress me whatsoever compared to the competition.

I'd like to say the nice thing about QEMU (and DOSBox) is that it's free, but since VMWare and Microsoft have both released free versions of their products, that's not an incentive anymore.

Robert

Reply 13 of 16, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lwc wrote:

Ok, so to finish it off:

Is Virtual PC 200X just one combined program without any registration?

Yes, it is now free. It runs on Windows only.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/do … nloads/sp1.mspx

Reply 15 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you really could have used google for this or the link valnar gave you and there click on product information.
One program and AFAIK no more registration.

Reply 16 of 16, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is most programs' sites don't say what they don't have (unless it's a small program that wants to stress it lacks bad things its big competitors have).

In any case, thanks. Seems like VirtualPC is truly more user friendly.