VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jdziedzic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ever since switching my computer over to Ubuntu Linux after a fateful hard drive crash, I've been having problems with the IPXNET utility in DOSbox. Every time I either try to start a server or connect to a friend's computer, DOSbox gives me the message "Tunneling server failed to start/connect." Single-player games through DOSbox are no problem for me on Linux, so DOSbox in general works fine for me, it's just IPXNET that's giving me problems.

I played countless multiplayer games of Master of Orion 2 when I was running Windows XP and never had a problem. I used the guide at http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006/05/dosbox-guide.html to configure DOSbox, and I've helped other people set up MOO2 multiplayer games with the same guide. I've walked through those steps at least 3-4 times on my new OS, but I'm still having the same problem.

Keeping in mind that I'm pretty new to Linux and know next to nothing about networking, can someone please give me an idea of where to start troubleshooting?

Reply 3 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

thanks.
You might want to know (it is mentioned somewhere in the readme)
that regular users (non-root or other uid 0 users) can't open ports under 1024 in listen mode under linux.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

do you want that other avatar at fullscreen ? 😉
I got the episode somewhere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!