Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all!
This is my first post here, so please bear with me... 😎

I've been using DOSBox intensively for about a week now, and i just love it. After finding a decent CVS compile, i'm impressed with the increase in speed and usability. Thanks to everyone involved in this project, this is a great piece of software, and i enjoy it very much.

Anyway, i've been playing around with joystick configuration with the Mapper. I'm using a XBox controller connected via USB adapter, and the latest XBCD driver for XP. The controller works very good in native windows games and emulators (i've been trying a lot of them), with all buttons and axisses (?) available. I noticed that in DOSBox, however, it's not possible to setup more than four buttons. The controller has a total of 12 buttons. I've tried all available joystick settings in dosbox.conf, and also tried setting the buttons numbers via mapperfile, but DOSBox won't recognize the additional buttons. I've also noticed that the right thumbstick is not recognized by DOSBox. I'm using the latest CVS build from Daum Cafe.

Does DOSBox support more than 4 buttons per Joystick? Could this problem be related to the CVS i'm using, or could it be a bug?

Thanks for the support!

P.S.: It may be interesting that DOSBox starts to "repeat" button numbers for buttons #'s >4. For example, XBCD button #12 is identical to #4, no matter what i configure in the mapper.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2007-02-12, 13:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well dos games don't support more then 4 buttons.
So dosbox doesn't either.
I thought that it should be possible to map the buttons to keys on the keyboard.

The repeating is for me 😀 So I can use any set of 2 buttons in jill of the jungle.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! It's not possible to map the controller buttons to keys, that's what i was trying. DOSBox won't recognize any button-# >4, that's exactly the problem.

Hehe, consider yourself lucky for playing a game that requires only two buttons - i was trying to setup Tie Fighter, one of my alltime favourites. It would be soooo cool to have the controller fully configured.

If you're assuming that it should be possible to map all controller keys to keyboard, could this be a bug? Or something that's related to my system? I have no idea what DOSBox' intended behaviour is.

Reply 3 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the other way around
map any key to any button on your joystick. (that is what you want I think)

I thought that it should be possible, but the code is relatively new so not that well tested. wd might know more about it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to use the additional buttons for keyboard commands. For example, Tie Fighther (or any other Space/Flying-Sim) uses a lot of keyboard commands for engine throttle, weapon selection, targetting, etc.. It would also be useful to have certain DOSBox commands available via controller buttons, like cycles up/down, screenshot, exit, etc. That would be most useful for people building joypad controlled cabs (I'm currently assembling the software to do that).

DOSBox's mapping system looks like it would be possible to achieve all that - i was really blown away by the possibilities of the mapping features. With the use of modifiers, it would even be possible to extend the number of button-combinations. A serious gamer's dream, if it would only support all buttons (or at least not cycle them). 😀

Reply 6 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well either we have wrapping for the buttons, or full remappability of all
possible buttons (argue with Qbix 😉 ).
In the current way all buttons are useful in the sense that they can trigger
something (button 12 triggers the same thing as button 4 as you said in
your config). When enabling full button mapping, only the first 2 (or 4) would
be useful in the first place.

Got to see if it'd be easy to switch between the two, i'm quite sure it'll
mess up the mapper.txt config files 😀

Reply 7 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm... If DOSBox wouldn't have such a wonderful remapping feature, then your point would be totally valid (wrapping, every button is "useful"). But with the mapper, i can make _every_ button useful - would't that be nice?! I feel the 2/4-button limit is completely superfluous.

Qbix' preferred button behaviour would be easily achievable with the remapper, btw... 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well not easily, as you'd have to customly remap all 16-4 buttons for this
effect (not to speak of those huge 64 button joysticks 😀 ).
The joystick remapping thing was mainly added with joystick/keyboard
swapping in mind, so you can play joystick-only games with the keyboard
and vice versa.

Reply 11 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, only a few more to go... 😁

It would be great if you would consider adding full remapability to the codebase (for axisses, too - the right thumbstick on my XBox controller doesn't work at all in DOSBox, and please don't forget modifiers, thankyouverymuch!). That would add greatly to DOSBox' usabilty, IMHO.

Maybe this kind of functionality could even be expanded in the future - maybe it's possible to emulate Thrustmaster hardware inside DOSBox, and use any controller (remappable) for input.

I hope i don't sound too smartass - i have no idea how many people are working on DOSBox, or what the priorities are in developing the emulator. I'm just a user, and i see a lot of potential here. If only i could code... 😁

Reply 13 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, thanks for considering it. And thanks again for this wonderful emulator, which allows me to play the classics without hassle. Keep up the good work!

Reply 14 of 18, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

<Bump> Will this make it into v0.66? Oh, pretty please... (;

I've found out that using joystick buttons as modifiers already seems to work ok in current CVS builds, so i believe the change would be "only" to disable the 4-button-limit, and make DOSBox recognize the buttons #'s >4.

I know i'm repeating myself, but this functionality would make DOSBox so much more useful, especially for flight sims and the like.