VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by phildaman46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I get Timidity to work in Dosbox under Windows XP? I can get it to work on Linux but not Windows. I really like how General Midi sounds with Timidity under Linux and would like to get it to work in Windows XP.

Reply 1 of 4, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try these
Using DOSBox with timidity
Linux: midi and sound fighting over soundcard

Nice to know, as many people seam to have the same problem.

If one of the two work or anything else, then please report back so that I can add it to the FAQ.doc.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 3 of 4, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If Timidity is installed correctly then you should be able to change the Midi device. Do the following to change it.

1. Right click on sound volume control icon of Windows and select "Change properties of audio", or something similar.
2. Then in the tab audio you can change the default Midi device.

If you knew this and Timidity isn't there then probably it isn't installed correctly.

As I haven't used Timidity on Linux or Windows, I ran out of anwers.

EDIT-

I have installed the Timidity program for Windows and it seams it isn't a device but a hook program. To run Timidity, you must run the Timidity++ Realtime synthesizer. Then an icon pops up in the tray with a menu attached saying Start synthesizer. So I guess you need to run it this way. In the preferances I think you need to select the General Midi somewhere. And without the GUS patches I think it won't produce any sound as timidity needs them, as said in the Installation guide.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 4 of 4, by phildaman46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I captured some Midi from Space Quest 6 using Dosbox. I then played it on the Timidity player and it sounds just like it does on Linux. But I can't get it to play like that on Dosbox during gameplay on Windows.