VOGONS

Common searches

win 3.1 help

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before i buy windows 3.1 i have two questions i have seen pics of win 3.1 but don't understand how i would minimize or maximize things and where would all the files in windows 3.1 be located as windows 3.1 does not have mycomputer.

Reply 1 of 5, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If installing win3x under dosbox it can see/access all files of all mounted drives.
That is if you have
"mount c c:\olddos\win3x"
"mount d k:\ -t cdrom"
in the win3x file manager you'll have the drives C and D.

Minimizing inside win3x works as usual with that thing in the top right
corner of a window.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it's as safe as you are 😀
Seriously, ANYTHING you run in Dosbox can only be harmful to what it can access and that is what is mounted. If you "mount c c:\" you are running the risk that a virus contained in old games or Windows 3.x versions "harms" your "real" computer. If you follow the guide (you've been given the address somewhere else) the only thing that can be harmed by a Windows 3.x running in Dosbox is the folder c:\Doswin and all its contents on your computer.

AND you really should try to get behind the concept of Dosbox and mounting drives/folders. Judging from your questions it seems to me that you haven't got it yet.

Reply 4 of 5, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It tells how to mount the drives if your hard dive is c and your cd drive is d but my hard drives are c and d and my cd drive is e. Is it possiable to have the doswin folder on d as my windows xp is on c and is win 3.1 runable without dosbox.

Reply 5 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please read the Readme of Dosbox again, especially the mount part.
The point is that Dosbox doesn't require you to mount your real drives, in fact that is not even recommended.
I have real drives c:, d:, e:, x:, y:, z: and my CD-Rom is at f:. Why should I need to mount all those drives when all I need for Dosbox are my games which are at d:\games\dos? Answer: I don't need to! Thankfully! 😀
So instead of mounting "mount c c:\" and "mount d d:\"... I just need to "mount c d:\games\dos".
This way Dosbox uses my real folder d:\games\dos as c:\.
My CD-Rom I mount as d with "mount d f:\ -t cdrom".
And that's all I need.

So, to answer your question

Is it possiable to have the doswin folder on d as my windows xp is on c

of course! Dosbox does not care where the doswin folder is. All you have to do is mount it correctly. You don't even have to have it on d:\ just because XP is on c:\. Neither Dosbox or XP care where the folder is and as long as you don't do "mount c c:\", no program you run in Dosbox can harm your Windows.

and is win 3.1 runable without dosbox.

Of course. When Windows 3.1 came out in 1993 (?) Dosbox did not yet exist 😀
And of course you can't run Windows 3.1x directly in XP. You need an emulator for running any Windows version inside another Windows version. Dosbox is just on such Emulator, there are a lot of other emulators that can run Windows 3.1x. We just like Dosbox more in this forum.

Again I urge you to read the Readme and perhaps the Wiki http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … ation+of+DosBox

MAYBE someone can point you to some place where the idea behind mount in Dosbox is explained better.