VOGONS

Common searches

win 3.1 help

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 1 last question before i buy win 3.1. Will a game called tz colony run on win 3.1 as it will be a while before i get win 3.1.

Reply 1 of 18, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If this game is a windows 3.x game, then the chances are good. But No one can give you a guarantee for specific software.

Have you already searched the forum for mentionings of this game?
Have you had a look at DOSFREAKS' compatibility list?

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 2 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It all depends, if it is a rare win32s game it could be troublesome. But then again, why bother asking if it works if you can try it. If you can't because you have to wait for your Windows 3.x then just wait until you have it and try it then.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tz colony is not shown at moby games or wikipedia but i know for sure that it is a win 3.1 game. I cannot install it on my xp as i don't have a program manager which i know is on a win 3.1 but does anyone know what a program manager is. I have not played the game for a long time and i used to play it on my old machine. I am pretty sure the game is 16 bit. I have the demo/shareware version and know for sure their was a full version. It is not a very good game but i would like to play it again. I am still trying to find a copy of win 3.1 to purchase.

Reply 5 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is not that the program manager is missing. The Win95 installer of that game works just fine here on XP (you just have to skip the program manager group creation). The error occurs when you try to start the game. This could be a joystick related problem (another Windows 3.x shareware game I like to play, is not joystick playable on Windows NT variations).
Program Manager is the shell of Windows 3.x (you know there is www.wikipedia.org and www.google.com, good sites to find answers).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I quit the install program when it says where in the program manager you want to install the thing. How would i install it and the game does not need a joystick and it is on a demo disc.

Last edited by abyss on 2007-02-07, 21:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I quit the install program when it says where in the program manager you want to install the thing. How would i install it and the game does not need a joystick and it is on a demo disc.

At least with the W95inst.exe installation went as far as that and you could click "skip" and thus no group was created and the installation didn't have an error.
I know it doesn'T need a joystick, but the game could still use some joystick detection that makes it crash under XP.

*sigh* 😀 I did test it and it seems to run, I didn't test too far though 😀

searching for "tz colony shareware" (without the quotes 😀) gave me some links, I think the fourth or fifth link was actually working 😀

Reply 9 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow i am surprised that people besides me have played tz colony. The reason it does not work on xp could be the fact that win xp does not even fully support windows 95 files so never mind win 3.1 files.

Reply 10 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The reason it does not work on xp could be the fact that win xp does not even fully support windows 95 files so never mind win 3.1 files.

I'd rather believe it is the joystick detection that just plain crashes the game on NT based Windows.

Reply 11 of 18, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

screenshot attached (dosbox+win31+tzcolony)
Game seems playable, as far as i can tell that.

Attachments

• tzc_dosbox.png
    Filename
    tzc_dosbox.png
    File size
    19.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game is not freeware but you might be able to find the trial version of the game which you can test for 30 days which has every thing the full version has except it can only be tested for 30 days than you must delete it or buy the full version. I have a copy of the trial version of the game on a demo disc but i can't install the thing as i do not have a program manager which is on win 3.1 but i can play it on the demo disc without installing it. on the disc you can play most of the games without installing them. The game seemed to run descently on xp. I can't install it though and that is why i can't give you a link to the trial version. Thei is different versions of the game and i have the v.1.01 nt version.

Reply 16 of 18, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i got pmed on where to find this game. Can you give a link to the trial version as i can't install the thing as i do not have a program manager which win 3.1 has.

I can play most of the games without installing them on the demo disc and the trial version of the game works on xp.I don't have a joystick so i cannot get joystick troubles.

I don't even have a printer on this machine.

Reply 17 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

i got pmed on where to find this game. Can you give a link to the trial version as i can't install the thing as i do not have a program manager which win 3.1 has.

searching for "tz colony shareware" (without the quotes Happy) gave me some links, I think the fourth or fifth link was actually working

I can play most of the games without installing them on the demo disc and the trial version of the game works on xp.I don't have a joystick so i cannot get joystick troubles.

The problem is not having a joystick, but the detection of one (I suspect). Your posts are confusing me, in one you write you can't install it, and then that the trial runs fine for you on XP. Now what is it?