VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have noticed at least 2 games (Sim Earth + Railroad Tycoon) where using a scaler does not result in an increased window size.

When I read the comments in dosbox.conf it says:

# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.

Low resolution modes? Is that anything not VGA (640×480)? Will scalers not work with games that already run with a "high-res" 640×480 mode?

My current workaround is to use windowresolution=..... with overlay if I want to get a bigger window.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks ykhwong. But it leaves me curious as to why the scalers are not forced in all situations? If I put it in my config, then it is because I 1) want a bigger window, 2) possible some smoothing of the results. I don't like DOSBox/the scalers to ignore my requests.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 3, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some high resolutions like 1024x768 may require lots of reosurces if scalers are always forced in any res, and some people may dislike it due to a decline of speed or unsupported, too high resolution (e.g. Normal2x : 1024x768 * 2 = 2048x1536.)