Common searches

CPU load reduction for Windows 3.1

Topic actions

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was poking around the Internet for a utility that would reduce my CPU in Windows 3.1 the same way DOSIDLE works for DOS - mainly for VPC and VMWare. I run installations of Windows 3.1 in a variety of VM's.

I came across a nice small one that was written just a year ago.
http://www.weiqigao.com/software/

It not only works well for VPC, VMWare and QEMU, but for DOSBox as well.

Robert

PS. I do not know the author or endorse the utility, other than it works for me and every Windows 3.1 install I've tried so far - real or VM.

Reply 1 of 38, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

will give it a try. Nice find., thanks.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 38, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed one minor anomaly. I only notice this on my (slower) Centrino laptop, not my faster Athlon64 desktop PC.

Without the CPU idle device driver, when I click on a program within Program Manager, it follows click--> quick hour glass --> program launches.

With the driver loaded, the hour glass step is replaced with a minor pause. Everything still works though, so far.

-Robert

Reply 7 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

But how would we know if it contained a virus or not?

And what is the big deal anyway if it contain a virus or not? It will run in the emulated Win31 environment, not on your physical PC.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 38, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And what is the big deal anyway if it contain a virus or not? It will run in the emulated Win31 environment, not on your physical PC.

That concept is not always that easy to grab 😀
Anyway, a virus scanner is mandatory if you are really afraid of catching a virus

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
abyss wrote:

It can still give you a virus on your xp tough as you are installing it in xp.

From the Readme.txt of WQGHLT:

Installation
============

To install WQGHLT, copy WQGHLT.386 to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, add a line to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI's [386Enh] section, like this:

[386Enh]
device=WQGHLT.386

and restart Windows.

Now - exactly how do you propose that a virus hidden inside the file WQGHLT.386, placed inside an emulated filesystem, run by an emulated CPU, can affect the outside WinXP ?

Reply 14 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

emulated filesystem?

As for System.INI...

NT4/2K/XP/2003/Vista come with an SYSTEM.INI for backwards compatibility with 16bit applications.
I don't know if drivers placed in the [386Enh] section work or not....

I doubt any company would support their users doing anything with viruses wether the likelyhood is minimal if they infect their computer with a virus or not, which is why when questions come up concerning viruses and DosBox I always am 120% paranoid. Last thing we need is a bunch of dumbass users running viruses in DosBox and thinking that it's safe because the "DosBox people" said it was.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-02-16, 17:17. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 38, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
emulated filesystem? […]
Show full quote

emulated filesystem?

As for System.INI...

NT4/2K/XP/2003/Vista come with an SYSTEM.INI for backwards compatibility with 16bit applications.
I don't know if drivers placed in the [386Enh] section work or not....

But which System.INI ?

This driver is for Windows 3.11, right? So it needs to go in the System.INI that Win3.11 can see. Assuming that the person installing this driver did NOT do the braindead thing of mounting the real C:\ as the emulated C:\ in DOSBox, but instead did a

mount C "C:\DOSBox-stuff\Win31-drive"

then the System.INI in question will be

C:\DOSBox-stuff\Win31-drive\WINDOWS\System.INI

Now, how can the contents of that file possible affect the host OS ?

Reply 16 of 38, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok just for clarification: you should NEVER run virii or virus-like
code inside dosbox. You are FULLY resposible yourself to check
that the programs contain no virus or similar stuff.

Reply 17 of 38, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming that the person installing this driver did NOT do the braindead thing of mounting the real C:\ as the emulated C:\ in DOSBox,

Which alot of users still do.

Also I have actually seen users modify their system.ini's in NT4/2K/XP for stupid things just because they think it will make their game work. In fact I can guarantee that there will be a user out there who will modify their System.ini in their XP directory just so that their Windows 3.1 in DosBox will function correctly.

and why not? They are running Windows aren't they? So why shouldn't it work? 🙄 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 38, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a very nice tip. Someone should add this to the Wiki so it is not lost.

Now CPU usage for me is lower in Win3.1 than just sitting at the DOS prompt. I wonder why when sitting at the dos prompt the CPU load is at 40% with nothing running (no TSRs)? In Win3.1 cpu load drops to 0%.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube