VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i can't believe this game runs fine... im using the surface renderer and set cycles to 100000 with the timesynched option on.

i've noticed a drastic performance increase in settlers 2 (including much less audio distortion), blood and cannon fodder.

edit: milo the fuel run - runs much better now 😀

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 15, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

quick question... if i have timesynched on and set the cycles to 100000000000 will it have the same effect as setting cycles to max?

erm wait, i mean does it just run games as fast as my computer can handle it without any crappy dynamic adjustment stuff.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
franpa wrote:

cannon fodder.

Cannon Fodder never performed slowly for me even for 0.63, so I can't imagine how the new dosboxes would improve it's already playable-at-3000-cycles-anyway speed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 15, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

No idea because the "crappy" default cycles adjustment works fine for me.

well i was only stating stuff imho and so are you so let us not drag off topic ok?

leileilol wrote:
franpa wrote:

cannon fodder.

Cannon Fodder never performed slowly for me even for 0.63, so I can't imagine how the new dosboxes would improve it's already playable-at-3000-cycles-anyway speed.

maybe, but i now hardly notice the issue (if its still there since i cant get sound to work in it its hard to tell) where when loading a level dosbox slows to a crawl.

my website

Reply 7 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

so let us not drag off topic ok?

The topic is quite boring, so why don't you tell when exactly you
experience bad cycles guessing? Otherwise nobody will care and
it just stays as it is.

Reply 8 of 15, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

with many of the games i tried the default "max" cycles option wasn't the best option... manually setting it resulted in gained performance.

it slowed dosbox down to a crawl no matter what output i used... it does it on the mission briefing screens.

my website

Reply 10 of 15, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, wd, maybe I can contribute an example for "bad cycle guessing".

The example is Microprose Grand Prix 2 (1996).

If I set the cycles to auto or even to max, the game runs way to slow (stuttering sound, low framerate).

The workaround is to set the cycles to ~ 50000 and then (because with these values the graphic output is still slow) manually increase the cycles to ~ 85000 at the beginning of the race.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 12 of 15, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does happen with today's cvs sources. I have not tested grand prix 2 with ver. 0.65.

In cvs it happens with cycles=auto ans cycles=max

Reply 13 of 15, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished testing with ver. 0.65:

With ver 0.65 dosbox setting the cycles to auto seems to work correctly.

Configuration:
Default configuration for dosbox 0.65 + manually choosing core=dynamic and cycles=auto, leaving all other options with their default values.

GrandPrix 2 is a game which by default automatically adjusts the graphical details to your cpu power. Therefore (as the dynamic core of ver. 0.65 is slower compared to latest cvs) it uses less textures and less details, but the gameplay (framerate and sound) actually really matches these guessings. The game runs smootly, although using less details.

In latest cvs Grand Prix 2 assumes your cpu to be powerful enough to show all details and all textures, but these guesses do not really match the gameplay. Thus, the game runs stuttering and way to slow. This ist if the cycles are set to auto or to max. If I choose 50000 cycles and start the game with this value Grand Prix 2 also guesses that my machine is capable to show all details, which is still not true. Then, at the beginning of the race, I manually adjust the cycles to ~ 85000 (the limits of my machine, actually) and the gameplay is smooth, even with all graphical details enabled.

Reply 14 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Is this just with this one game or are there more? Can you set the
graphics details in the game to some non-auto degrading values?
Does it work better if you reduce the processor load with ctrl-f11
when in-game (or maybe even before starting the game, but you
have to set cycles=max in that case)?

Reply 15 of 15, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i tried cycles=max with that game with 640x480 and all details on (even in the mirrors) and the game runs at the 20 fps that i setup in the options. Maybe it becames a little slow at the start, but then the game starts to run pretty smooth. Even i don't heard distortion in sound, but the max cycles sometimes makes problems, so you allways can do a bat file changing the cycles before the game start and changing it again for when the game returns to the os.